Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Their QD rifle mounts are garbage.  Besides that I have no issues with Silencerco.  The majority of my collection is SiCo stuff.  If someone comes to me looking to buy a rifle can I point them in every direction but SICo.  They serve folks well for rimfire & centerfire pistol cans but obviously they're not the only game in town. There are many good manufacturers today.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 7 SiCo cans and run them all pretty hard, no issues on my end. Though I’ll admit their mounting system isn’t the greatest.
View Quote
This....I think they build great cans, but they pretty much screwed a lot of people over when their crappy mounting system turned out to be just that.  They exchanged some for the ASR, but even that isnt great.  They told me they werent exchanging mounts out anymore and gave me a discount code to use for the ASR.

I just expect things to work like they should when I buy them.  If another company can build things correct for your product, why cant you build things correctly for your customers.  Keymo is making a lot of money of customers who arent happy with Sico.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This....I think they build great cans, but they pretty much screwed a lot of people over when their crappy mounting system turned out to be just that.  They exchanged some for the ASR, but even that isnt great.  They told me they werent exchanging mounts out anymore and gave me a discount code to use for the ASR.

I just expect things to work like they should when I buy them.  If another company can build things correct for your product, why cant you build things correctly for your customers.  Keymo is making a lot of money of customers who arent happy with Sico.  
View Quote
I just exchanged mine at no cost within the last month.

I have no real complaints with the asr, I like my GA taper much better but the asr works good.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way we could get more drama in the silencer market is if we start seeing teasers from Geiselle, “Do you want Super Precision Suppression?”  When that happens, hold on for the LaRue vs Geiselle silencer threads.  Those will be epic!

Until then, we have to settle for SilencerCo vs “insert silencer manufacturer here” threads and ASR vs “infallible mounting system here” threads.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not in all states. They originally said it was 50 state legal. It is a few less than that now.
View Quote
Right
I’ve spent the last 12 hours in airports so I’m not 100% bit a few states filed lawsuits or injunctions or something
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So then the SiCo Hybrid with a .30 cal endcap would probably be perfect for the LMT MWS then, no?
View Quote
It kills me that people hate on the Hybrid so much without understanding what an amazing can it is for more than just big bore caliber suppression - it also does really well in low-back-pressure, high-volume, and questionable-concentricity situations (I think it has a larger bore diameter than the DA Wolverine!). It's also rather modular with the endcaps and the mounting systems. I really blame SiCo marketing for not pushing that as hard as they could.

ASR isn't the greatest anymore, but if you spend a couple seconds making sure your can is secure, you should be GTG. People don't understand how bad the systems it was originally competing with were in comparison - they'd fail _even if used correctly_. Will agree that Trifecta and HPA were legitimate major mis-steps that earned them some negative rep in the community... they need to put out some more new stuff like the Switchback, and I think they'll get past that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have been in the past. I actually work for an agency now, not direct. So my advice doesn’t benefit or detriment me or my standing in any way.

And what does it matter if I was? People that work in the industry all of a sudden can’t offer opinions?
I’ve been doing NFA since 2006. I recommend cans from several manufacturers daily when people ask.  And the majority of cans I recommend have nothing to do with who’s paying the bills.

Those that know me know I’m not nor will I ever be a company man. I recommend the best tool for the job. Period.
View Quote
Of course you can offer opinions, and I wasn't saying you were doing anything nefarious. I was just going for a bit of transparency, as it's more than a little relevant to the subject matter. It's a small, niche market full of companies that despise each other.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Untrue. Several of us have been talking shit for years.
View Quote
That remark resembles me.

I think they have done a lot of dumb shit, but I also think they have taken risks and done some cool stuff. Osprey, Maxim9, Maxim50, Salvo, are all ideas nobody else has come to market with. The Omega was one of the greatest hits of all-time.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Right
I’ve spent the last 12 hours in airports so I’m not 100% bit a few states filed lawsuits or injunctions or something
View Quote
The big 3 commie states, yes. So it's federally legal, but the commie states threatened to go after owners so SiCo changed their wording. I guess you could call that a walk back? They were told by the ATF that it was legal when they said it was 50 state legal. It's the subsequent threats to the purchasers that had them change it to being everywhere but those 3 states.

I also wouldn't personally fault them for the HPA stuff. They pushed HARD for the HPA, which would have benefited us all. They hired a bunch of staff to make sure they'd be able to provide support and product when HPA passed. They advertised nonstop to the public about the benefits of the HPA. Then the vegas shooting happened, the squishy Republicans folded and dumped the bill, and SiCo was left standing...and somehow they're badguys in the whole thing? Sucks they had to lay some staff off, but that's what happens when you hire a ton of people for what you think is going to be a surge in business, and that surge never comes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]
It's funny how "everyone" now hates on the ASR mounts.  But when they first came out which was what over 10 years ago, they were better then anything at the time.  Now over 10 years later products just released in the last 1-2 years are always going to be better then the original older designs, because flaws, or kinks are worked out, as well as new revolutionary product/ideas can cause manufacturers to innovate, and build upon.  The AAC 51T to me is much worse then the ASR mount.  It's to bad they can't make the latch on the 51T out of S7 tool steel or something that won't wear and allow the can to be installed without holding down the latch.  And the wobble means I can't use it for precision shooting.  Not to mention the ring coming from my AAC F/H...

I have alot more Sico products then I do, AAC, Gemtech, YHM, Sig.  But thats not because of being a fan boy, or their marketing.  Some of their stuff is just plain better then what available at the time.  Specwars are built like tanks but they are heavy, Spectre nice and quite, and pretty light, Omega's are light and quite, and so popular other manufacturers are making mounts/adapters to try and sell their mounting products to their competitions cans .   Sure they have had some issues, and some products that were niche or just ok.  Salvo's, Osprey Micro, Sparrow not being as quite...

Not only that but I have usually been able to buy SiCo mounts and accessories when I needed them.  AAC 3lug year long waits.  Some Surefire mounts have been hard to find for years...

Sure 17-4 is great, as is Inconel, but if cans are lifetime investments, why not use Stellite for rifle's...  I bought a couple Sico cans when I mostly had AAC cans, and I was hearing AAC customer service was having issues, and got sold.

I have to hold down my latch on my 51t sdn6 for fear of wearing it out and having to send the can off to have the latch replaced, blind pin drilled out.   It's lock up on the 51T is different on every mount, some tight some loose.  Yeah I have to make sure my ASR mounted cans are actually locked on, and that I make sure to use anti seize and be careful when mounting a hot can on a cold mount.

One could nit pick every manufacturers mounts.  I have heard of Q's getting stuck because of to little rocksett, you can't fit a 1/2" socket to get to the flats that are now inside the can...  I have read about some dead airs getting stuck, and or had very tight lock up, or won't unlock and have to be worked loose...  Surefires seizing up and having to be shoot off...  Thunderbeast, griffin's threads before the seating taper allowing the threads to get filled with carbon, and carbon lock...

Cans that were built and designed for the time, and as the consumers started to change what they wanted the cans changed with them, but since they are a lifetime investment people forget, and question why can't my can that is older compete with new cans and mounts on the market...

Why do we see K cans more now, tubeless cans, different materials to try and push the weight saving to the limit.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]
After selling 100+ SiCo cans over the years I can say that we've had exactly 0 complaints about them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Sure 17-4 is great, as is Inconel, but if cans are lifetime investments, why not use Stellite for rifle's...  I bought a couple Sico cans when I mostly had AAC cans, and I was hearing AAC customer service was having issues, and got sold.
View Quote
Because overkill is a thing and people buy into material marketing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The big 3 commie states, yes. So it's federally legal, but the commie states threatened to go after owners so SiCo changed their wording. I guess you could call that a walk back? They were told by the ATF that it was legal when they said it was 50 state legal. It's the subsequent threats to the purchasers that had them change it to being everywhere but those 3 states.

I also wouldn't personally fault them for the HPA stuff. They pushed HARD for the HPA, which would have benefited us all. They hired a bunch of staff to make sure they'd be able to provide support and product when HPA passed. They advertised nonstop to the public about the benefits of the HPA. Then the vegas shooting happened, the squishy Republicans folded and dumped the bill, and SiCo was left standing...and somehow they're badguys in the whole thing? Sucks they had to lay some staff off, but that's what happens when you hire a ton of people for what you think is going to be a surge in business, and that surge never comes.
View Quote
I don’t fault them for HPA stuff but I may not have bet along side of them
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After selling 100+ SiCo cans over the years I can say that we've had exactly 0 complaints about them.
View Quote
I don’t complain to Walmart when my Samsung Washer shits the bed

And they have like 18,000 hybrid serials so you’re talking easily 250,000 cans and you guys have sold 100...
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That remark resembles me.

I think they have done a lot of dumb shit, but I also think they have taken risks and done some cool stuff. Osprey, Maxim9, Maxim50, Salvo, are all ideas nobody else has come to market with. The Omega was one of the greatest hits of all-time.
View Quote
I agree with everything here.

I don’t hate SiCo. I’ve actually got one buddy left there that they haven’t run off or fired.

At the end of the day they took cans where no one else had. Right place. Right time. Perfect guy to run the marketing in 13/14.  Perfect storm. But they couldn’t hold on to it. Heavy lies the crown and all that.

Now with their actual products- except for a couple exceptions there’s not a can that they make that I can’t name 3-5 better products.

NFA is a fickle bitch. Lots of emotion hinges on lifetime purchases. Just because you bought something doesn’t mean it’s the best.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would you buy the loudest cans Silencerco makes?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because overkill is a thing and people buy into material marketing.
View Quote
It's a winning strategy for Energetics with their VOX as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Now with their actual products- except for a couple exceptions there’s not a can that they make that I can’t name 3-5 better products.
View Quote
That's great news. I'd like to know which 3 or 4 products are in the same league as the Maxim 9 but do it better?  I'd like to know which 3 or 4 cans that can do everything the Hybrid does, and does it better, and in what way?  Same with everything the Omega 9k does.  Or maybe those are the exceptions?

The Omega 300 sucks so bad that it was admittedly the benchmark the Dead Air Nomad aimed to beat.

Anyway, better is a requirements driven attribute, and the implementation is always a trade of cost, weight/size, strength/performance.  Up until recently SiCo's customer service performance trumped just about everybody.

Glad to see the Precision Rifle snobbery (normally about about glass and bipods) sneaking into the suppressor forum.  If this keeps up I should  be able to market my precision 4000 grit suppressor bore laps and tungsten harmonic tuning weights for under-massed titanium mufflers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a 98 year old functional Maxim can here that is made of mild steel.    The Specwar 762 would have been cooler if the stellite wasn't making it weigh 24 ounces.  It's all relative.  All the decent cans made today could be here in 100 years.  I'm not going to live that long.

I'd rather own a can from a 9 year or whatever company like Silencer Co than an operation that's been in cans for 12 months or whatever its been.
View Quote
I’d rather not have all my eggs in one basket...  I would also perfer the company providing me with a lifetime warranty not have all the eggs in one basket either...  Many companies cannot survive 1 year in a down market.  But if your employees and machines are busy making this part or that part they will be around when the market comes back up...

Every company has to start at some point.  Its also means they have to compete against reputation which can mean more features, or a better product for less in the beginning to earn ones trust...
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Tough crowd. I own 2 suppressors, an Octane 9HD, and a Sparrow. Both are outstanding.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The flip side of that argument is what skin in the game does the job shop have to care about surviving for their gun industry division, or to care about you, when the customer that keeps the lights on is GM or Mercury Marine?   I worked with a company once that had major job shop customers such as GM, and gun customers, and when their gun customers needed them they would short their own company to help Buell motorcycles.  They were constantly back shelving their gun industry division for their job shop customers.  Anybody in contract manufacturing reading this can tell you their stories of the weekly customer getting backshelved to the hot meal ticket.   The owners wife in my example was constantly working the owner to quit gun business altogether as her wine buddies didn't agree with gun politics.    The owner didn't need to work, he was independently wealthy from a partnership in a side business.  Often the firearms division weekly meeting was something he would miss because of a more pressing tee time at one of the several local country clubs he belonged to.
View Quote
It is a balancing act for sure, but a more diverse base helps keep cash flow going the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have no real complaints with the asr, I like my GA taper much better but the asr works good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the actual issue supposed to be with ASR? I've never personally seen or had any issues but I haven't used it that much

From everything I read keymo is supposed to be one of the best but I think it's too heavy
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I have no issue with SiCo. Are there better cans for niche markets out there, sure? They seem to have great versatility in their suppressors great at many things but not the best. If you want a Thunder Beast for you precision rifle go for it, but their QD mounts are $125 a piece, even SiCo is cheaper than that. I am not sure why their is so much hate, I think they got a bit overwhelmed with the BOGO this summer, and their was about 6-8 week window where they were just unreachable.

I just emailed them with a question today at 1pm, and I had a response by 3:30pm today. So I think they opened their CS back up. I know there is a lot of ruffled feathers about the BOGO and them not shipping the 4 month window they promised as well, but again I think they got overwhelmed and they are starting to trickle in.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don’t complain to Walmart when my Samsung Washer shits the bed

And they have like 18,000 30,000+ hybrid serials so you’re talking easily 250,000 cans and you guys have sold 100...
View Quote
FIFY

ETA: also I don't think the samsung/walmart comparison holds up to scrutiny. I'll bet 90% of guys with a stuck can or issue stop in at their NFA dealer before they call the manufacturer
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a few SICO cans. No complaints. I bought an OSPREY pistol can off a dealer that was not renewing his class III for a steal. It had a stripped mounting system when I got it and sent it to SICO and they fixed it no questions asked.

I have a SAKERK that I bought because of its reputation for being tough under hard use even on barrels as short as 7". What's not to like? I got the SAKERK on the SPEC program for a good price also.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What is the actual issue supposed to be with ASR? I've never personally seen or had any issues but I haven't used it that much

From everything I read keymo is supposed to be one of the best but I think it's too heavy
View Quote
People that can't figure out how to tighten a lockring correctly.

KeyMo is great. But yes, it's heavy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm honestly curious why you feel so threatened by Energetic?  
View Quote
Yeah, especially when Hearing Protection LLC turned into Griffin Armament. Everyone has to start somewhere. Since EA doesn't rely exclusively on silencer sales to stay in business there's no reason to worry about how long they'll be around either.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
GA taper mount? With the threads in front of the taper, essentially defeating the purpose?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's funny how "everyone" now hates on the ASR mounts.  But when they first came out which was what over 10 years ago, they were better then anything at the time.  Now over 10 years later products just released in the last 1-2 years are always going to be better then the original older designs, because flaws, or kinks are worked out, as well as new revolutionary product/ideas can cause manufacturers to innovate, and build upon.  The AAC 51T to me is much worse then the ASR mount.  It's to bad they can't make the latch on the 51T out of S7 tool steel or something that won't wear and allow the can to be installed without holding down the latch.  And the wobble means I can't use it for precision shooting.  Not to mention the ring coming from my AAC F/H...

I have alot more Sico products then I do, AAC, Gemtech, YHM, Sig.  But thats not because of being a fan boy, or their marketing.  Some of their stuff is just plain better then what available at the time.  Specwars are built like tanks but they are heavy, Spectre nice and quite, and pretty light, Omega's are light and quite, and so popular other manufacturers are making mounts/adapters to try and sell their mounting products to their competitions cans .   Sure they have had some issues, and some products that were niche or just ok.  Salvo's, Osprey Micro, Sparrow not being as quite...

Not only that but I have usually been able to buy SiCo mounts and accessories when I needed them.  AAC 3lug year long waits.  Some Surefire mounts have been hard to find for years...

Sure 17-4 is great, as is Inconel, but if cans are lifetime investments, why not use Stellite for rifle's...  I bought a couple Sico cans when I mostly had AAC cans, and I was hearing AAC customer service was having issues, and got sold.

I have to hold down my latch on my 51t sdn6 for fear of wearing it out and having to send the can off to have the latch replaced, blind pin drilled out.   It's lock up on the 51T is different on every mount, some tight some loose.  Yeah I have to make sure my ASR mounted cans are actually locked on, and that I make sure to use anti seize and be careful when mounting a hot can on a cold mount.

One could nit pick every manufacturers mounts.  I have heard of Q's getting stuck because of to little rocksett, you can't fit a 1/2" socket to get to the flats that are now inside the can...  I have read about some dead airs getting stuck, and or had very tight lock up, or won't unlock and have to be worked loose...  Surefires seizing up and having to be shoot off...  Thunderbeast, griffin's threads before the seating taper allowing the threads to get filled with carbon, and carbon lock...

Cans that were built and designed for the time, and as the consumers started to change what they wanted the cans changed with them, but since they are a lifetime investment people forget, and question why can't my can that is older compete with new cans and mounts on the market...

Why do we see K cans more now, tubeless cans, different materials to try and push the weight saving to the limit.  
View Quote
I see you mention Sig cans in passing and then proceed to shit everyone's mounts but Sig. What issues have you had with Sig mounts?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a winning strategy for Energetics with their VOX as well.
View Quote
They're also selling a can made of unobtainium at non-unobtainium prices.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
GA taper mount? With the threads in front of the taper, essentially defeating the purpose?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you asking?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I haven’t had it long, so I can’t speak for myself.

But from what I’ve read it was people not fully tightening the lock ring.

It’s fairly idiot proof, so I don’t understand how. Unless they didn’t look to see if the lock ring didn’t fully rotate.

Basically, idk.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm honestly curious why you feel so threatened by Energetic?  
View Quote
Maybe they haven't figured out how to copy them yet?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I haven’t had it long, so I can’t speak for myself.

But from what I’ve read it was people not fully tightening the lock ring.

It’s fairly idiot proof, so I don’t understand how. Unless they didn’t look to see if the lock ring didn’t fully rotate.

Basically, idk.
View Quote
Most failures I've seen were people that either didn't tighten the lock ring after snugging it down, or had the lock ring in the locked position when screwing it on instead of open, which makes the can not thread all the way on.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad they hooked you up.  The ASR would have worked well with one of my rifles, but the other would have needed something different as the rail covers a portion of the can.  I just got an email back a few days ago, and he told me they are no longer exchanging.  I think the one time code he gave me was 20% off at most.

Like I said, I think they have a good product, but when I have to spend more money to make something work that I already paid a lot of money for, I probably wont be a returning customer.  I dont understand why there was a cutoff as far as taking care of bad mounts for their customers.

I went with the Keymo from the EE and met a few good guys in the process.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

NFA is a fickle bitch. Lots of emotion hinges on lifetime purchases. Just because you bought something doesn't mean it's the best.
View Quote
and I'm still not sure why people consider these things as lifetime purchases since there are so many more consumables that we deal with that haver higher cost and don't last as long.....
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What are you asking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you asking?
It was more bewilderment than a legit question. Of all the taper mounts that's the one that has me scratching my head. Did they try to copy Sig's mount and just fucked it up by putting the threads in front of the taper? Or did they intentionally design it that way so as not to "copy" Sig? If the former, swing and a miss. If the latter, then legit wtf?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It was more bewilderment than a legit question. Of all the taper mounts that's the one that has me scratching my head. Did they try to copy Sig's mount and just fucked it up by putting the threads in front of the taper? Or did they intentionally design it that way so as not to "copy" Sig? If the former, swing and a miss. If the latter, then legit wtf?
View Quote
I’m pretty sure GA released the mount before sig even hit the market with there cans.

If not, oh well.

The benefit of the treads before the taper is it keeps the taper surface cleaner. The threads hardly even get dirty themselves.

It works, nothing to break, and it’s simple to clean.

I’m going on 2yrs of using the hell out of my recce 5 and have had absolutely no issues with the mount.

None.

I really wish GA would make a saker adapter so I could use taper mounts for all my rifles
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Q's Fix barrel has the taper aft of the threads as well when using their direct thread cans.  The SiCo ASR taper sits in front of the threads.  They both work.  The main benefit to the Griffin arrangement that I can see is it takes more material from the mount that is integral to the can.  Griffins minimalist muzzle devices are also on the lighter end.

Yeah, the VOX is nicely designed and made for it's price point, and I've recommended it as a viable alternative in the Sandman S, Omega 300, Razor/Micro 30 and now Nomad range of suppressors.  You get Sandman durability and performance for near Thunderbeast weight, with Omega mount versatility.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tough crowd. I own 2 suppressors, an Octane 9HD, and a Sparrow. Both are outstanding.
View Quote
I have yet to fire a can that I like more than your cans Ron. I will take my AE30 over a TBAC any day of the week.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you asking?
The thing is, regardless of your bewilderment, the Griffin mounts work really really well.

In theory, yes, having the taper first is better but having used both types pretty extensively there's really no difference in function
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#46]
The ASR is perfectly fine as a mount. YHM is better as are a few others.

My SHTF guns have 51T, ASR, and YHM mounts and I trust all three.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I had a problem mounting an SWR HEMSII to a Glock 30 a few years ago...Since SWR had rolled into Silencerco I contacted then them  about how to make it work...They told me straight up that it was a known issue and it wouldn't work..Then they offered me an Osprey for $200.

I took $200 9mm Osprey can and mounted it to my Glock 19...then bought a used G21 that worked just fine with my HEMSII
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#48]
It was fun when Huntertown Arms was still in business and we all agreed they made bad cans backed by terrible customer service.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I see you mention Sig cans in passing and then proceed to shit everyone's mounts but Sig. What issues have you had with Sig mounts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well ok I guess mentioning others experiences with mounts other than the asr is “shitting”.  

But to the sig mount.  While not bad they had issues at first with internal deep tapered mounts shipping with their cans causing issues with installation only having 2-3 threads being engaged on the barrel since most all firearms aren’t shipped with sig tapered barrels.  They are overly complicated by being multiple pieces for a single mount, and the external taper is much larger then it needs to be, meaning a heavier mount..  Hence why you see q aka Kevin (which helped design the sigs mount) using a much smaller taper, and bragging about how small and lightweight his mounts are...  Give it time and we will see more issues with q’s it just too new it doesn’t have 10+ years under it’s belt.  Also you shouldn’t pin and weld q’s or sigs mounts, I mean you could pin on a sig mount but don’t include the removable brake/fh section, but by then you aren’t gaining much...

The biggest “flaw” of the asr is that it is not as user friendly aka not idiot proof and the user thinking their cans are locked on when they aren’t...   I mentioned q’s mounts coming off with their cans, which is also because of “user error” in that improper installation of rocksett either it being not enough applied, not allowed to set, or inadequate torque applied, this means the can goes back to the manufacture as the socket flats are on the front of the mount which is now inside the can, and unaccessible, that is unless you are running the plan b on a competitors which can unthread from the can allowing access to the socket flats to unthread from the mount ..  Dead Air design is much more user friendly, but at the sacrifice of weight.

One of the better designed mounts is the YHM mounts.  Very user friendly, highest wear items are on the mount not the can.  Taper/seat before the threads so no carbon lock.  Maybe they aren’t the lightest, I do like the new flash hider design they have.

I’m really not “shitting” on all these mounts they are all different, some better then others.  I only mentioned these to show the asr is not the only mount with “flaws”.  Especially given the numbers sold and it’s time in use...

I wouldn’t have bought Sig, YHM, Gemtech, AAC, or SilencerCo had I thought any of their products are
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I wouldn’t be surprised if Silencerco sold more cans this year than every other company combined.  Nice that they have network of SPEQ dealers for nearly all states where its legal to own.  ASR attachment isn’t the worst, at least it uses a taper and it’s before the threads. If the marketing for things like their apparel says anything about them it’s that are marketing towards recreational shooters, not competition or special operations.  With the goal of having the HPA pass the recreational shooter would be the largest market to target.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top