BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It says on their website it’s the same as the omega, but I have no first hand experience to confirm this.
View Quote
Yeah i see it now.

Looks like it only comes with a thread mount and no Key-Mo mount.

I wonder what the street price will be.  $916 is a weird price.  Hopefully around $700.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m assuming 14 oz with direct thread module and add 4+ for Keymo? This puts it in Sandman territory for weight. I wouldn’t really call that a focus on lightweight but I know DA prides itself on no questions asked durabiIity and Todd’s comments earlier regarding titanium. 17-4 is no slouch. I like what I see and would’ve given it a hard look back when I was buying my Sandman S. I feel like the Nomad is a better all arounder than the Sandman S when abusive firing isn’t a factor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Son of a ...........

I really wanted the Wolf bad for a long time.  Then it was the Vox.   Now this................ From just this initial info available I'm afraid I already "want" this also.
Will have to patiently wait for some real world data in the near future to pop up on this one. I'm curious to hear more about this "E" brake also.

At first glance looks like the Wolf and the Omega got busy one night and 9 months later this arrives LOL.

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Great looking can, but I’m here for E Brake info. Is that going to be compatible with the Sandman line?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great looking can, but I’m here for E Brake info. Is that going to be compatible with the Sandman line?
View Quote
I hope so!  If it uses the same end caps, I can't imagine them making it not compatible.

@Mageever,  when will the E-brake be released?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Neat
Glad it’s changeable mounts
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah i see it now.

Looks like it only comes with a thread mount and no Key-Mo mount.

I wonder what the street price will be.  $916 is a weird price.  Hopefully around $700.
View Quote
Capitol has them at $745 right now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Not that lightweight, but I would like one for my 300 Blackout.  If this was available six months ago I would have already purchased one, but I got a great deal on a Q Full Nelson, so it'll be awhile before I purchase a Nomad-30.  The Sandman K I already have will cover all of my AR rifles for now.

The fact that it's called a Nomad-30 makes me think that there might be a Nomad-556 and a Nomad-338 in our future.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not that lightweight, but I would like one for my 300 Blackout.  If this was available six months ago I would have already purchased one, but I got a great deal on a Q Full Nelson, so it'll be awhile before I purchase a Nomad-30.  The Sandman K I already have will cover all of my AR rifles for now.

The fact that it's called a Nomad-30 makes me think that there might be a Nomad-556 and a Nomad-338 in our future.
View Quote
Nomad 338 would be a cool addition
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice, I was holding off on a Rugged Micro 30. But think I'm still going that direction. I'd be all over it if it was modular in length with having a nice
"k" config.

Still tempting though since running a DM griffin Taper mount looks like it would work, but my Omega is filling that role pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.recoilweb.com/brand-new-dead-air-nomad-1-with-a-bullet-in-their-sights-142738.html

@hansohn..........  Thanks for sharing. Honestly for what it is that isn't a bad street price.  I assume your video on this one will be soonish hopefully.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#13]
So, the end caps are the same. Which would mean I could use the “E Brake” on my S and K?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, the end caps are the same. Which would mean I could use the “E Brake” on my S and K?
View Quote
I just noticed that it is in the images on the website, it blends so well with the design I didn't see it at first.

So, I'm guessing that it will work, but will be a 1.75" diameter brake on a 1.5" can.

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a .338 can either, so I doubt I could resist.

Looks like the Nomad-30 is 2 ounces heavier than a Q Half Nelson with the ability to go with a QD mount if desired.  This can will sell.  It'll also steal some sales from Q.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in for it. Going to try and place an order with Capitol today or tomorrow. Being as I can use my existing ASR mounts, this is a win/win for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just noticed that it is in the images on the website, it blends so well with the design I didn't see it at first.

So, I'm guessing that it will work, but will be a 1.75" diameter brake on a 1.5" can.

https://deadairsilencers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IMG_3966.jpg
View Quote
Didn’t even think about that. It would look different but I wonder what it does for suppression. I’m pretty happy with my S and K so I might just skip this e brake. Might still see a nomad in my future though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Street price is $745. Available now.
View Quote
Oh hell yes. You guys always come through!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#21]
The Dead Air Nomad 30.

Credit to @recoilmagazine and @allyoutfitters for the photo.

Nomad 30 Specifications:
Length: 6.5”
Diameter: 1.735”
Weight: 14 oz
MSRP: $916

https://youtu.be/iW1YOnjVfGk

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#22]
FYI Silencer Shop has the option to add a $399 Ghost with the Nomad-30.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FYI Silencer Shop has the option to add a $399 Ghost with the Nomad-30.
View Quote
I was counting on that ;)
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Why do the ebrake numbers meter lower in the specs?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Not too exciting for me personally. Seems the modular designation is only coming from the E-brake and while the initial $745 street price is nice, that doesn't include a QD mount or brake, so add those and it's up into the high priced range. If I was just getting into cans, I would have looked hard at this over the Omega I went with, but i wish it was truly modular like the Rugged Micro 30, but with more configurations and better suppression potential.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not too exciting for me personally. Seems the modular designation is only coming from the E-brake and while the initial $745 street price is nice, that doesn't include a QD mount or brake, so add those and it's up into the high priced range. If I was just getting into cans, I would have looked hard at this over the Omega I went with, but i wish it was truly modular like the Rugged Micro 30, but with more configurations and better suppression potential.
View Quote
The Nomad is Modular with the mount and cap where as the Micro 30 is modular with length and cap.

I do agree though. If this can had a <6" config with the ability to make a long config in 6.5" I'd be ordering right now.

The micro 30 is what I'm probably going with, but I wish it had the ability to change mounts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I picked one up because I am just getting into suppressors. I already have a sandman k in jail so between this and the sandman s, I picked the nomad. I’m sure the sandman series will go on sale in the near future now, but that’ll just be a good excuse to add an L to the line up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why do the ebrake numbers meter lower in the specs?
View Quote

I was wondering that myself since I believe those published numbers per the Mil standard test are at the muzzle and I figured the ports would add a little more sound out there.

Possibly quieter as the brake adds extra volume to the can before the bullet exits it. More volume for less sound even if there isn’t a baffle in it?

@mageever, you able to spill the beans on the secret sauce of the e-brake?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#30]
So comparing this to it’s direct competition what does it have on the others (ie omega, vox, and micro 30)?

I would love to see someone put them head to head and give us not only numbers but tone.

Papas sold me my first 2 cans and he has always made a great product.  The low back pressure and lighter weight are a huge plus.  Wish it were <6” with that extra volume on the diameter
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if you need a brake or flash hider for a 11.5" 556 AR15 pistol setup. I am trying to build a lightweight upper and would use the Nomad-30 versus my Sandman S if I could away without adding the additional 8 oz from the Key-Mo adapter and brake.

I won't be running FA or doing mag dumps. Strictly home defense, weekend training and range/plinking.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#32]
So will the YHM Omega adapter work on this?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#33]
It looks like the wolf 9sd w/ fancy cut work
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Nomad is Modular with the mount and cap where as the Micro 30 is modular with length and cap.

I do agree though. If this can had a <6" config with the ability to make a long config in 6.5" I'd be ordering right now.

The micro 30 is what I'm probably going with, but I wish it had the ability to change mounts.
View Quote
I guess I missed where it was compatible with other manufacturers QD mounts, that wasn't in the main product description on their page that I saw, so that is cool. I still think it's a bit of a stretch using that term for it, and think they probably did a disservice getting people excited for something that didn't end up being the case, but it's all good. I've also been looking hard at the Micro 30. I would've bought this in a second if it was at least just as modular while also having better suppression from the larger diameter.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's not that lightweight, especially considering its a direct thread. Add in the cost of the ebrake (to actually make it 'modular') and the cost of a QD mount and the Rugged Micro makes a lot more sense. Unless the 1.75 od gives it an edge in sound reduction I'm not sure what this does that an Omega can't
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I guess I don't really get where they were going with this from a consumer standpoint.

If you equip the Nomad with a Keymo mount, it becomes heavier and longer than a Sandman-S, with less durability... but maybe quieter (?)

It apparently costs about $20 less than an Omega, but the Omega comes with an ASR mount and the Nomad doesn't. If you compare the cans in DT mode, the Omega (with flat cap) is shorter, lighter and has apparently very little, if any, discernible audible difference. You can put an ASR mount on the Nomad, but there again, the Nomad will be longer, heavier, offer similar durability and sound the same as the same-configuration Omega... only it will cost you an extra $200 for the mount.

If comparing to something comparable from Q, then the Nomad comes in a fraction of an inch shorter, but ounces heavier if compared in DT configuration to the Half Nelson, or with a Plan B mount compared to a Trash Panda. And the Nomad doesn't have the indestructibility the Sandman line offers, but is probably a bit more durable than an all titanium can? Not sure how the dB numbers would compare.

As a consumer, if I'm looking at Q and DA, I can choose a longer, heavier, indestructible can or a lighter, shorter, less durable can. With the Nomad, now I can have a barely shorter, heavier, slightly more durable can? Why split the difference? Q is more expensive though, so there's that. And if I wanted to split the difference, there's already the Omega, which allows me to do so shorter, lighter, and for $200 cheaper in QD configuration.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I was very tempted to get a Vox a d put the Plan B in it, but this has my attention. It may not be as lightweight as I was hoping, but it also has a bigger diameter. I am real curious to see how this sounds on a 5.56.

Does anyone know the weight of the can without the direct thread insert?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I guess I don't really get where they were going with this from a consumer standpoint.

If you equip the Nomad with a Keymo mount, it becomes heavier and longer than a Sandman-S, with less durability... but maybe quieter (?)

It apparently costs about $20 less than an Omega, but the Omega comes with an ASR mount and the Nomad doesn't. If you compare the cans in DT mode, the Omega (with flat cap) is shorter, lighter and has apparently very little, if any, discernible audible difference. You can put an ASR mount on the Nomad, but there again, the Nomad will be longer, heavier, offer similar durability and sound the same as the same-configuration Omega... only it will cost you an extra $200 for the mount.

If comparing to something comparable from Q, then the Nomad comes in a fraction of an inch shorter, but ounces heavier if compared in DT configuration to the Half Nelson, or with a Plan B mount compared to a Trash Panda. And the Nomad doesn't have the indestructibility the Sandman line offers, but is probably a bit more durable than an all titanium can? Not sure how the dB numbers would compare.

As a consumer, if I'm looking at Q and DA, I can choose a longer, heavier, indestructible can or a lighter, shorter, less durable can. With the Nomad, now I can have a barely shorter, heavier, slightly more durable can? Why split the difference? Q is more expensive though, so there's that. And if I wanted to split the difference, there's already the Omega, which allows me to do so shorter, lighter, and for $200 cheaper in QD configuration.
View Quote
Well said and I'm along the same thought process. I'm surprised titanium wasn't used to really push the weight reduction and take advantage of the larger volume created with the bigger OD ala Sig and Q. If anything I feel like the Nomad cannibalizes the Sandman S market. Weight is pretty much a toss up but the Nomad is going to be a better sound performer and even though there is a 17-4 vs Stellite argument, the Nomad still carries the no barrel length restrictions that DA is well known for.

I know it seems like I shoot down every product that comes through the forums but I promise I'm not an agitated old man. This would've certainly been my decision had it been available a few years ago when I was buying my Sandman S.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's not that lightweight, especially considering its a direct thread. Add in the cost of the ebrake (to actually make it 'modular') and the cost of a QD mount and the Rugged Micro makes a lot more sense. Unless the 1.75 od gives it an edge in sound reduction I'm not sure what this does that an Omega can't
View Quote
No barrel length restrictions?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Correct, no minimum barrel length restrictions.
View Quote
What about firing schedule? Still FA rated? Just not as FA as the Sandman series? Haha.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#44]
14oz....

Next.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
All of this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No barrel length restrictions?
View Quote
True,  I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]
The Vox still wins out for me as my next and maybe last 30cal can for a long while. With the Vox and Nomad in DT configurations the Vox is still lighter and is $145 cheaper which is a huge portion of the stamp cost. Nomad might be more enticing if I had some key-mo mounts but I don't. I really like the looks of the Nomad though, it's a nice looking can
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#48]
And I completely forgot about the new VOX can. Sheesh.

With both in DT or keymo configurations, the Nomad is heavier by a couple oz and longer by about half an inch than the VOX, and the vox sounds good and is significantly more durable. And it costs more than $100 less than the Nomad in DT configuration (on hansohn's site).

And Q doesn't have any barrel length restrictions either, but that doesn't mean they will survive extreme use (as seen on a recent video by kit badger).

If neither can has minimum barrel length restrictions, and the nomad is actually as durable as the Sandman line, then why would someone get a Nomad when a Sandman is lighter, shorter, cheaper and just as durable (in keymo config)? The only scenario I can think of is if someone wanted a DT Sandman S.... and didn't want to spend less on an omega or vox.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Vox still wins out for me as my next and maybe last 30cal can for a long while. With the Vox and Nomad in DT configurations the Vox is still lighter and is $145 cheaper which is a huge portion of the stamp cost. Nomad might be more enticing if I had some key-mo mounts but I don't. I really like the looks of the Nomad though, it's a nice looking can
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is sharp, especially in the direct thread flavor. DA does a good job on the aesthetics too IMO.

I guess in keeping the weight and length minimal you could utilize Q's Plan B and Cherry Bomb muzzle device right?

Quoted:
And I completely forgot about the new VOX can. Sheesh.

With both in DT or keymo configurations, the Nomad is heavier by a couple oz and longer by about half an inch than the VOX, and the vox sounds good and is significantly more durable. And it costs more than $100 less than the Nomad in DT configuration (on hansohn's site).

And Q doesn't have any barrel length restrictions either, but that doesn't mean they will survive extreme use (as seen on a recent video by kit badger).

If neither can has minimum barrel length restrictions, and the nomad is actually as durable as the Sandman line, then why would someone get a Nomad when a Sandman is lighter, shorter, cheaper and just as durable (in keymo config)? The only scenario I can think of is if someone wanted a DT Sandman S.... and didn't want to spend less on an omega or vox.
My thinking is the Sandman S would take the back seat to the Nomad. I imagine the Nomad is going to be the better performer in the sound reduction department. Weight is pretty close where I'd call it a wash and the Nomad is more flexible mount wise where it can weight less than the Sandman S. No barrel restrictions despite 17-4 vs. Stellite also makes it a push in terms of durability.

I would've opted for the Nomad vs. the Sandman S back in 2015 if it was an option at the time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#50]
What is the deal with the brake?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top