BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well...just read 11 pages of this thread.  

I just paid for my first two cans and finished the paperwork at the dealer a couple weeks ago (YHM Resonator and SiCo Sparrow).  I also have a Saint .300 pistol on the waiting list so I'm "gun money poor" for a while, but pretty sure this is my next can.  I just recently picked up a RARR in .300 that I haven't even had a chance to scope or fire.

I'm probably admitting how easy I am, but I decided to buy a VOX after the NFA Review video...probably after the first round was fired (farted?) and seeing his eyes (like another poster here said, ESPECIALLY given how many cans he handles and shoots.)  

The Resonator will be for the Saint-the VOX will be for the RARR .300 and maybe be a direct thread "floater".
View Quote
You chose well. YHM makes an adapter for the Omega (which the Vox also takes) so you can swap your Vox-S and Resonator back and forth if you want.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You chose well. YHM makes an adapter for the Omega (which the Vox also takes) so you can swap your Vox-S and Resonator back and forth if you want.
View Quote
Excellent observation there.

@sheepdogleader....  Your going to love the Ruger American.  I'm using mine chambered .300blk with my Sandman K and it sounds really nice.  When I can eventually swing getting a Vox I'll also plan to use it there via the Keymo adapter. I also saw that NFA review vid and was like yep, a Vox is a must at some point.  Gopherboy made a great comment, adapt that Vox via the YHM adapter and get an extra YHM brake/hider on your Ruger as well.  Take advantage of using either .30 cal can on either of your .300blk firearms.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#3]
@kedminster

Ordered mine today. Really excited to receive it. I work in engineering. Electrical, but work very close with mechanical engineers. I appreciate a good piece of engineering, and see a lot of that in the Vox.

That said...

Earlier in the thread there's a video posted of the Vox exhibiting some pretty nasty blowback on the AR-15. As a southpaw, I'm concerned a bit about this and what, if anything, can be done to mitigate. Curious if you speak about this.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Adjustable gas block, WAR upper receiver, or adjustable bolt carrier. That and a gas buster charging handle or RTF on the CH

Quoted:
@kedminster

Ordered mine today. Really excited to receive it. I work in engineering. Electrical, but work very close with mechanical engineers. I appreciate a good piece of engineering, and see a lot of that in the Vox.

That said...

Earlier in the thread there's a video posted of the Vox exhibiting some pretty nasty blowback on the AR-15. As a southpaw, I'm concerned a bit about this and what, if anything, can be done to mitigate. Curious if you speak about this.

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@kedminster

That said...

Thanks!
View Quote
I didn’t notice said “pretty nasty blowback” when shooting the Vox with Hansohn.  I think that’s being blown way out of proportion by people that haven’t shot with the Vox.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I didn’t notice said “pretty nasty blowback” when shooting the Vox with Hansohn.  I think that’s being blown way out of proportion by people that haven’t shot with the Vox.
View Quote
I hope you're right. Haven't had a chance to hold or shoot one myself, so the only evidence I have is video.

Right here at 2:01
[youtube]https://youtu.be/kmz9yxosE1o?t=121[/youtube]
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hope you're right. Haven't had a chance to hold or shoot one myself, so the only evidence I have is video.

Right here at 2:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/kmz9yxosE1o?t=121
View Quote
Yeah...that’s me shooting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
...right handed....

Don't get me wrong, glad you didn't get gas to the face, but your face is on the other side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...right handed....

Don't get me wrong, glad you didn't get gas to the face, but your face is on the other side of the receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...right handed....

Ok, good luck with your purchasing decision.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah...that's me shooting.
View Quote
I gave up trying to keep up with this conversation a few pages ago--has anybody metered it at the ear yet?  If not, do you plan to?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I gave up trying to keep up with this conversation a few pages ago--has anybody metered it at the ear yet?  If not, do you plan to?
View Quote
The Hansohn crew did their metering per the MIL spec. I don't know if they did any at the ear. I would be glad to do so but in my experience no one believes anything a manufacturer meters for themselves so we have just avoided getting into pissing contests and let all the published metering be independent 3rd parties. We do have a cal'd BK 2209. Are you interested in bolt or gas gun numbers? Cartridge? Let me know, if we have an appropriate host I will try to run the tests in the next week or two. It is a wonderful time of year to hit the range here in southeastern New England- I rarely need an excuse to get out of the office and hit the range!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Hansohn crew did their metering per the MIL spec. I don't know if they did any at the ear. I would be glad to do so but in my experience no one believes anything a manufacturer meters for themselves so we have just avoided getting into pissing contests and let all the published metering be independent 3rd parties. We do have a cal'd BK 2209. Are you interested in bolt or gas gun numbers? Cartridge? Let me know, if we have an appropriate host I will try to run the tests in the next week or two. It is a wonderful time of year to hit the range here in southeastern New England- I rarely need an excuse to get out of the office and hit the range!
View Quote
I would like to know at-ear 5.56 gas gun numbers, if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would love numbers for a 6.5 Grendel SBR if you have one
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Adjustable gas block, WAR upper receiver, or adjustable bolt carrier. That and a gas buster charging handle or RTF on the CH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This^

Quoted:
@kedminster

That said...

Thanks!
Awesome! Thanks for your purchase and hope you love the Vox. We tried to optimize multiple parameters (flow impedance, weight, energy absorption/dissipation) in this design. The blowback is pretty manageable for the performance achieved with some of the ideas mentioned above. Gas buster CH or some careful RTV work is probably the most applicable but definitely tuning the gas flow is important as well.

I am both a EE/ME... could not decide which one so did a 5yr double major. Sometimes you just can't get your fill of math! What kind of EE work do you do? I am a hardware, particularly analog/power, guy on the EE side; thermal and materials guy on the ME side.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Would love numbers for a 6.5 Grendel SBR if you have one
View Quote
Unfortunately don't have one of those in the stable... yet!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok, will try to get some at the ear numbers for you guys. Only have one meter so won't be able to get simultaneous MIL/ear numbers or both ears simultaneously. I need to get one of those awesome B&K multichannel data acquisition systems TBAC is evaluating.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1 for this.

If looking for more specifics, perhaps both a 16" and a 10.5"-12.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the honest response--many of us are suspicious that manufacturers intentionally avoid discussing ear numbers because they are usually higher than muzzle numbers for semiauto guns.  Since many buyers care more about protecting their own hearing than what they are shooting might hear, I think the absence of testing at the ear does a great disservice to the consumer.  They may still buy something that's louder at the ear than the muzzle, but that should be their choice based on their application and not due to ignorance.

Many of us have been advocating using a common 16" 5.56 DI AR-15 with a normal milspec non-adjustable gas block as a testing baseline.  If you really want to be transparent, also test a 16" AR-10 (non-AGB) at the ear--hardly any manufacturer or independent tester has done that, even though it's a common application of 7.62 models.

ETA: FYI the protocol most are using at the ear is 6" straight out from the shooter's ear (e.g. on a line perpendicular from the line of the gun), which comes from recent military testing specifications.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...right handed....

He already stated that he purchased the Vox...

I always tell a lefty to get a lefty upper from Stag or whoever else makes them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This^

Awesome! Thanks for your purchase and hope you love the Vox. We tried to optimize multiple parameters (flow impedance, weight, energy absorption/dissipation) in this design. The blowback is pretty manageable for the performance achieved with some of the ideas mentioned above. Gas buster CH or some careful RTV work is probably the most applicable but definitely tuning the gas flow is important as well.

I am both a EE/ME... could not decide which one so did a 5yr double major. Sometimes you just can't get your fill of math! What kind of EE work do you do? I am a hardware, particularly analog/power, guy on the EE side; thermal and materials guy on the ME side.
View Quote
I work in aviation as a project engineer. I get to work to integrate a lot of disciplines, which is just fine with me, but my primary focus is digital and RF.

I’d like to get a degree in ME or an MEng EE someday, probably when the kids are older to teach them good study habits.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok, will try to get some at the ear numbers for you guys. Only have one meter so won't be able to get simultaneous MIL/ear numbers or both ears simultaneously. I need to get one of those awesome B&K multichannel data acquisition systems TBAC is evaluating.  
View Quote
Do you also have a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun you could test at the ear, both with and without the wipe?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you also have a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun you could test at the ear, both with and without the wipe?
View Quote
We do.  I'll add it to the list.  
Anecdotally, it sounds good to my ears when shooting without the wipe.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He already stated that he purchased the Vox...

I always tell a lefty to get a lefty upper from Stag or whoever else makes them.
View Quote
Ah, copy.  He’ll be happy with the Vox, I’m prolly buying one from the next batch Hansohn gets.  I have heard nothing good about the left handed Stags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ah, copy.  He’ll be happy with the Vox, I’m prolly buying one from the next batch Hansohn gets.  I have heard nothing good about the left handed Stags.
View Quote
Did you just assume my Gender!?!

MEPLAT still has one DT Vox left. Wanted to buy from Hansohn, but figured I'd give them (MEPLAT) a shot (pun) based on their comments in this thread.

Heard the same thing about Stag. Even then the rifle simply wasn't designed for lefties. It's a right handed world .
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks for the honest response--many of us are suspicious that manufacturers intentionally avoid discussing ear numbers because they are usually higher than muzzle numbers for semiauto guns.  Since many buyers care more about protecting their own hearing than what they are shooting might hear, I think the absence of testing at the ear does a great disservice to the consumer.  They may still buy something that's louder at the ear than the muzzle, but that should be their choice based on their application and not due to ignorance.

Many of us have been advocating using a common 16" 5.56 DI AR-15 with a normal milspec non-adjustable gas block as a testing baseline.  If you really want to be transparent, also test a 16" AR-10 (non-AGB) at the ear--hardly any manufacturer or independent tester has done that, even though it's a common application of 7.62 models.

ETA: FYI the protocol most are using at the ear is 6" straight out from the shooter's ear (e.g. on a line perpendicular from the line of the gun), which comes from recent military testing specifications.
View Quote
Absolutely. I am an engineer and scientist, first and foremost. I am only interested in presenting real, validated information and letting folks make their own decision. There are no long term gains for a company to play games with this stuff. Shooters are smart and savvy and will see through any attempt at BS. Once you wreck your credibility you are done. The converse of that is also true- prove you are honest, transparent and client-centric and people will be comfortable and do business with you.

Please take a look at our IG feed. We did some testing (300BLK bolt gun / 22 bolt gun) this past weekend up in NH at an event hosted by Discreet Ballistics. There were a bunch of other industry folks there including representatives from Sig and Q. Erich Thalheimer was the acoustical engineer in charge of the equipment setup and testing. He brought a variety of sound measurement equipment and we brought our BK 2209. Was really nice to have him independently check and cal our 2209.

As soon as we can get some range time I will try to get some of this data at the ear for 5.56 gas guns.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I work in aviation as a project engineer. I get to work to integrate a lot of disciplines, which is just fine with me, but my primary focus is digital and RF.

I’d like to get a degree in ME or an MEng EE someday, probably when the kids are older to teach them good study habits.
View Quote
RF? So you are part magician? That stuff is black magic to me! Very cool and I have a lot of respect for folks who can wrap their brains around that kind of design. I am always interested in all the things people in the shooting community do in their 'day jobs'
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone been able to do any accuracy testing yet?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I didn't notice it when I shot it.  Any 556 is gonna have a bit of blowback on an AR in my experience.  Hence the need for AGBs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure. Averaged 140.5db on 11.5" M16.  Start at :45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCEkylp8HRA
Good lord! The blowback from the Vox is horrible.

Also, dat Turbo/Resonator
I didn't notice it when I shot it.  Any 556 is gonna have a bit of blowback on an AR in my experience.  Hence the need for AGBs.
Yeah, but compared to every other can in the video it was waaay worse

Eta: see this was discussed further. Just looked out of proportion to the others.

If I can find an adapter for Griffin mounts I'm pretty sure this will be my next can
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If I can find an adapter for Griffin mounts I'm pretty sure this will be my next can
View Quote
Diversified Machine makes Griffin Tapermount adapters in titanium that thread into the "ASR" mount compatible suppressors. They haven't been in stock for awhile but if you don't mind waiting you can 'custom order' one which means you will have to wait until a run is produced.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Please take a look at our IG feed. We did some testing (300BLK bolt gun / 22 bolt gun) this past weekend up in NH at an event hosted by Discreet Ballistics. There were a bunch of other industry folks there including representatives from Sig and Q. Erich Thalheimer was the acoustical engineer in charge of the equipment setup and testing. He brought a variety of sound measurement equipment and we brought our BK 2209. Was really nice to have him independently check and cal our 2209.
View Quote
Cool, that's quite a list of competitors to test side by side--I'd love to see at the ear numbers from that group on an AR-10!
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cool, that's quite a list of competitors to test side by side--I'd love to see at the ear numbers from that group on an AR-10!
View Quote
Yes, we have lots of requests for metering with a variety of 5.56 and 7.62 host platforms. I need more hours in the day! I think the thing that worked out really well for this testing was having a group of manufacturers working together as it lends more credence to the validity of the test methods, equipment and results. Also just an awesome group of guys to spend the day with on the range! There is a lot of value for all of us to get to talk as an industry. Sure there is competition but in the end everyone has the same goals of making the best possible silencers and growing this part of the shooting sports community.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Diversified Machine makes Griffin Tapermount adapters in titanium that thread into the "ASR" mount compatible suppressors. They haven't been in stock for awhile but if you don't mind waiting you can 'custom order' one which means you will have to wait until a run is produced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@KalmanPhilter

How do you tell if they have something in stock? Is it just not listed in the drop down menu?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@KalmanPhilter

How do you tell if they have something in stock? Is it just not listed in the drop down menu?
View Quote
@Effenpig

If you can add it to the cart it's in stock. When you make a selection that us out if stock there is a note in red that says out of stock.

Just checked and they are in stock and on sale. If you want one I wouldn't wait too long.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:17:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@Effenpig

If you can add it to the cart it's in stock. When you make a selection that us out if stock there is a note in red that says out of stock.

Just checked and they are in stock and on sale. If you want one I wouldn't wait too long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@KalmanPhilter

@Effenpig

@KalmanPhilter Thanks

I'm trying to decide between the Vox and the SiCo hybrid. They both could use the same adapter though, right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, the Hybrid, Omega 300, and VOX are all threaded to accept the same direct thread, ASR, Cherry Bomb, YHM,  Key Mo, or DM Griffin in 1.375-24 male threads on the mount.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I was going to buy an omega but came across the vox for my 300BO ar pistol primarily, and possibly swap over to a 5.56.   both are basic PSA setups with basic flash hiders.   what attachment is recommended for the vox?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
IMO the Dead Air Keymount system or the Q Cherry bomb would be the way to rock this new VOX can. Obviously you can get the DA system already on it from Energetic but I think ordering the direct thread version and then adding on the Keymo/Cherry bomb  at a later date is the best bet.  YMMV.  Unless they are offering the DT insert as a standalone item or plan to at a later date. @kedminster........? If so then the Keymo might be good from the start if your remotely leaning that direction. I like options and the DT would be a nice bonus option to have.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was going to buy an omega but came across the vox for my 300BO ar pistol primarily, and possibly swap over to a 5.56.   both are basic PSA setups with basic flash hiders.   what attachment is recommended for the vox?
View Quote
If you aren't wed to any pre-existing mounting systems the Key Mo is really slick.  It's a little longer and heavier than the ASR mounts but less to pay attention to.   If you can get a Diversified Machine titanium Tapermount for Griffin then the Griffin minimalist flash hider is really short and their Ti minimalist brake is about the lightest muzzle device.

If you don't mind a muzzle brake without the can the Plan B/Cherry Bomb from Q is also a solid mounting system.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
IMO the Dead Air Keymount system or the Q Cherry bomb would be the way to rock this new VOX can. Obviously you can get the DA system already on it from Energetic but I think ordering the direct thread version and then adding on the Keymo/Cherry bomb  at a later date is the best bet.  YMMV.  Unless they are offering the DT insert as a standalone item or plan to at a later date. @kedminster........? If so then the Keymo might be good from the start if your remotely leaning that direction. I like options and the DT would be a nice bonus option to have.
View Quote
Yes, we will eventually offer our DT adapters as separately available accessories. Lots of things in the works; just need more hours in the day!
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes, we will eventually offer our DT adapters as separately available accessories. Lots of things in the works; just need more hours in the day!
View Quote
I'd like to see one in 1/2-28 if you are taking requests
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We do.  I'll add it to the list.  
Anecdotally, it sounds good to my ears when shooting without the wipe.  
View Quote
@Steve_P

Thanks for adding that to your list. When do you think you will have time to put all this together and test it out?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good deal sir. I hear you on the time thing. Never seems to be enough of it when your having fun. BTW, keep those machines rolling.  I need to find an instock Vox somewhere here soon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#46]
ok, vox looks good for my 300BO pistol and ar15 whens the next production availability ETA?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
ok, vox looks good for my 300BO pistol and ar15 whens the next production availability ETA?
View Quote
IIRC should be any day now unless something has changed
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
We should have the next shipment sent to AAT for distribution before the end of this month and have another shipment that should follow that one within 3-4 weeks or sooner. I appreciate everyone's patience. We are working hard to scale production in a careful way to ensure we maintain top quality. We are humbled by the overwhelming response we have received for the Vox.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We should have the next shipment sent to AAT for distribution before the end of this month and have another shipment that should follow that one within 3-4 weeks or sooner. I appreciate everyone's patience. We are working hard to scale production in a careful way to ensure we maintain top quality. We are humbled by the overwhelming response we have received for the Vox.
View Quote
I want one from either this coming shipment or the one following that. Definitely picking one up before end of the year. If you don't mind me asking, how many have you sold so far?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
The shipment to Hansohn Brothers is muy importante
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top