Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2017 6:25:46 AM EDT
I am thinking about an integrally suppressed 10/22 but see alot of options. I am looking for some general opinions and information. I understand some have ported barrels to reduce velocity in super Sonic rounds. I am looking for the quietest 22 I can get. Am I even on the right platform?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Bolt action. Savage fsrv
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone ever compare a suppressed 10/22 to a suppressed Browning bottom-ejecting 22?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
no, you're not in the quietest platform. I have a screw on can,  10/22, and the savage FSV or whatever letters and the 10/22 is nice and quiet but you still hear some action noise. subsonic rounds don't always cycle well and supersonics, well you hear the crack.

the bolt gun is more quiet with supers since there's no action noise. With subs it's better still. With specialty ammo like the low noise or primer only it's hard to know if the gun fired or not. I have chamber checked afterwards to be sure. the sound of steel is louder than the action on a bolt.

for really quiet you should do a single shot or bolt gun. for quieter than normal you can do a 10/22. I say get a screw on. Integrals don't seem like a good first can, but something you really think you need for a specific reason.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no, you're not in the quietest platform. I have a screw on can,  10/22, and the savage FSV or whatever letters and the 10/22 is nice and quiet but you still hear some action noise. subsonic rounds don't always cycle well and supersonics, well you hear the crack.

the bolt gun is more quiet with supers since there's no action noise. With subs it's better still. With specialty ammo like the low noise or primer only it's hard to know if the gun fired or not. I have chamber checked afterwards to be sure. the sound of steel is louder than the action on a bolt.

for really quiet you should do a single shot or bolt gun. for quieter than normal you can do a 10/22. I say get a screw on. Integrals don't seem like a good first can, but something you really think you need for a specific reason.
View Quote
yeah I guess I forgot about the basics. I am suppressed on 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62 at the moment so it not my first can but it's been awhile since I have had a bolt action. I will take a closer look at the Savage. Are all the cans in the same realm db wise or does something particular stand out? So far all of my stuff has been from Silencero.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#5]
This or similar is what you seek.

Quietest 22LR Bolt Action? CZ455 Ticho from KGMade

KGmade

I have a EOS pending. Wish I could have it already. Its probably going to be another 8 months or so because I bought it as a trust.

And skip on the savage guns. I have owned 2 both shot ok, but man they felt cheap. Go with a CZ 455 you will be happy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPKiYlH2OgE

KGmade

I have a EOS pending. Wish I could have it already. Its probably going to be another 8 months or so because I bought it as a trust.

And skip on the savage guns. I have owned 2 both shot ok, but man they felt cheap. Go with a CZ 455 you will be happy.
View Quote
wow! Now we're talking!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPKiYlH2OgE

KGmade

View Quote
is cleaning an issue on these?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]
From what the owners of KG made told me, they recommend every few mags to loosen the nut at the end of the barrel and giving the outer tube a few twist and then re tighten the nut. That keeps the outer tube from sticking to the mono core. He said when you want to clean it take the stock off remove the outer tube and use a wire brush to knock off the powder and chunks of lead build up. He also said a media blaster using backing soda works well. And if you do not have the tools to clean it yourself mail it to them and they will clean it for you.

The CZ barrel comes off of the action by removing 2 set screws with a Allen wrench. You will want to buy a torque wrench the 2 screws are supposed to be torqued to specified poundage. You can email CZ and they should be able to tell you. I called one time and they told me but I can not remember. Its was something like 35 foot pounds.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yeah I guess I forgot about the basics. I am suppressed on 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62 at the moment so it not my first can but it's been awhile since I have had a bolt action. I will take a closer look at the Savage. Are all the cans in the same realm db wise or does something particular stand out? So far all of my stuff has been from Silencero.
View Quote
sorry for the assumption of first can... I still think dedicated/intergral is a really specific way to go for a 22 can. Mine is a small time shop but I got it for I think $150 so nothing too crazy. I really enjoy the ability to bounce it around. It lives on the savage, but goes on my SBR AR 22 upper, a 1911 22, my 10/22. I don't know if it is THE quietest but it's fun, new shooters like it, etc. I only shoot at ranges currently, so it's not the biggest deal if it's totally silent.

From what I've read, many of the 22 cans are about the same or you can't tell without metering. I'm glad I went with it, and would do it again. I would/will go integral when HPA passes and they get cheaper or I move out to the woods and want to be quieter plinking with one thing or hunt with it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there any db claims on the EOS system? Quick research show a silencerco sparrow at 112.7 db and the Ruger internally suppressed barrel at 113.2 db (factory reported numbers). I imagine to the human ear the internally suppressed sounds a deeper and a litter quieter though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I think silencer talk had some sort of metering event earlier this year and recorded all the numbers. I have no idea where these numbers are published. I looked at joining their forum but only seen a small hand full of guys on their so assumed it was a dead forum. I have no idea which models Kgmade had them test. You might can call them or email them and ask. Kgmade is very active on the South East Traders Forum GA NFA section.  

For what its worth this is a terrible video if me shooting a EOS at their event last year. Some goober was shooting in a different bay about 60 yards away and kinda drowned out the audio. The guys at Kgmade also offered me the chance to come to their shop and test their product, I am sure they would do this for any customer.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#12]
CZ 455 with a Thunderbeast 22 Takedown. If you want to keep bulk pack subsonic then the KG integral for the CZ when it's released.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]
My opinion, take it for what it’s worth.

If you are looking for the absolute quiet 22, you have to put in why.  Reason being is terminal ballistics matter at the distance you want to shoot at.  

Having a ported barrel and shooting subsonic CCI or CCI quiet will result in different ballistics than what is printed on the box.   You’ll have to chrono it and do the math.  Personally I hate barrel porting, I’d rather SBR.

Once you do all the testing and math to get “quiet” you may realize that you are no better than a precharged pneumatic, as far as terminal performance goes.  

Also a quality PCP will be able to put 25 rounds in a single hole at 10 yards.   You will never be quieter or more accurate than a quality PCP.  Never.  However the energy of a power burning charge will be greater.  So it’s a combo of power, accuracy and noise.  Which ones do you want?

However if you tolerate more noise, the foot lbs of 40 grain 22 will be better than an air gun.  

What I use.  I have a heavily modified 77/22 with a 20 inch Shilen barrel and suppressor.  With CCI quiet I can still dispatch pests at 25 yards.   The gun is very accurate with federal match but much quieter with CCI quiet (of course), but not as accurate.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
My point is you will never get quieter than a PCP.  For me the noise difference is insignificant.  

Even if you say your gun is as quiet as a PCP, I can always de-tune the PCP to make it quieter.   However the power band is atrocious.  

That’s why I choose to shoot my 77/22 with a can.  Either CCI quiet or sub sonics.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you have a large stash of hv ammo?  If so the integral with barrel porting may be a great idea to be able to keep your high velocity stuff quiet. If you don't have a giant stash, the barrel porting isn't as big of a deal. Just buy standard velocity ammo and it will be quiet with most any can. You can get some specialty ammo for ultra quiet.

I want an integral, but I WANT a ton of stuff. I just don't have it high enough on my priority list. A screw on can works great imo. The biggest advantage to an integral is the length to me. 16" overall barrel +suppressor vs 16 1/2" + suppressor length.  

I love my 10/22 with a kidd lightweight barrel with a can screwed on. It's more than quiet enough with standard velocity ammo. If I want to be almostl silent cci quiets are stupid quiet suppressed. They have very little energy and the trajectory sucks, but they are quiet.

The integral suppressed cz is probably about as quiet as you can get.

10/22's aren't bad if you put a kidd buffer in and polish all contact points between the bolt and reciever. It cuts down on the action noise quite a bit just changing the buffer.

If you shoot your screw on can wet it will help, but with mine I haven't tested it much. Wire pulling gel drastically increased my group size and water didn't last long after wetting the can even when not shooting it for a while. I wanted to take the can and wet it at the truck then go hunting. Water didn't last long enough to be worth the mess. The wire pulling gel seems to help for a decent number of shots and will stay quite a while unfired, but I didn't like the loss in accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My point is you will never get quieter than a PCP.  For me the noise difference is insignificant.  

Even if you say your gun is as quiet as a PCP, I can always de-tune the PCP to make it quieter.   However the power band is atrocious.  

That’s why I choose to shoot my 77/22 with a can.  Either CCI quiet or sub sonics.
View Quote
these posts are great food for thought. Honestly I have a Benjamin Marauder PCP in.177. it has a internally suppressed barrel. I was think about a PCP is .22 and then creeped into the 22lr thinking.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From what the owners of KG made told me, they recommend every few mags to loosen the nut at the end of the barrel and giving the outer tube a few twist and then re tighten the nut. That keeps the outer tube from sticking to the mono core. He said when you want to clean it take the stock off remove the outer tube and use a wire brush to knock off the powder and chunks of lead build up. He also said a media blaster using backing soda works well. And if you do not have the tools to clean it yourself mail it to them and they will clean it for you.

The CZ barrel comes off of the action by removing 2 set screws with a Allen wrench. You will want to buy a torque wrench the 2 screws are supposed to be torqued to specified poundage. You can email CZ and they should be able to tell you. I called one time and they told me but I can not remember. Its was something like 35 foot pounds.
View Quote
You probably meant to say inch/lbs.

I wish AAC had marketed their integral 10/22 barrel. I could probably build my own as I have acess to a mill, lathe and a wire EDM.
However, muzzle cans have gotten so quiet, durable and light over the past decade, it just doesn't make sense to build a one trick pony.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
these posts are great food for thought. Honestly I have a Benjamin Marauder PCP in.177. it has a internally suppressed barrel. I was think about a PCP is .22 and then creeped into the 22lr thinking.
View Quote
I’ve tried several.  For me the added hassle of maintaining a PCP wasn’t worth it.  Yea it was quiet but the added maintenance and down time wasn’t worth it (for me).  

So I bought 5000 rounds of CCI Standard (subsonic) and 5000 CCI Quiet.  Now I shoot whenever I want, the rifle is ready to go whenever.   No checking pressure, seals, blah blah blah.  

However no mistaking it.  This is louder and less accurate (at 10 yards).
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Integrally suppressed M&P 15-22 FTMFW!

~16.5" OAL, adds ~4 oz. to the weight of the rifle, and keeps everything subsonic (bulk pack, mini-mags, etc.,).

Base rifle runs about $325, conversion runs about $485 so works out ~$100 more than a 10/22 + MIST.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Integrally suppressed M&P 15-22 FTMFW!

~16.5" OAL, adds ~4 oz. to the weight of the rifle, and keeps everything subsonic (bulk pack, mini-mags, etc.,).

Base rifle runs about $325, conversion runs about $485 so works out ~$100 more than a 10/22 + MIST.
View Quote
Who does these? Have you done it? Im interested....
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who does these? Have you done it? Im interested....
View Quote
Sorry, forgot to mention the manufacturer.  Innovative Arms does conversions on customer owned uppers and the occasional run of complete rifles.  You have the option of buying a complete rifle from SilencerShop (when in stock) for $1,050 at SilencerShop, or sending your upper to Innovative Arms and having the conversion done (about $485).

I had them do the conversion on my upper and it's pretty much incredible.  Like it so much I'm sending them a stainless Ruger MK IV this afternoon for an integral conversion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#22]
If you go with a 10/22.

Add a Bolt lock.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]
The CZ 452 bolt action rifle with a Liberty Kodiak TL, with CCI standard velocity ammunition is so accurate that I can put 5 shots in a dime at 50 yards.  It is also extremely quiet; you just hear the firing pin.

I will compare to the Rugged Oculus when I receive it.  I plan to use the short configuration of the Oculus on the CZ rifle to minimize overall length for pest control in the field.

Every .22 suppressor owner should own a .22 bolt gun.  It is the quietest host.  They are so quiet that an integral is not worth the money.  You should use CCI standard velocity or Eley, or equivalent, due to consistent charges.  Bulk pack .22 ammo may be cheap, but if you are shooting a .22 bolt gun, I assume you want accuracy.  Accuracy depends on many factors; one of them being ammunition consistency.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Probably the 22lr suppressor/host combo that I own which gets the most "oh shit I have to have one" is my Ruger 96/22 with a ported Gemtech Mist barrel.  It is probably my favorite suppressed 22lr rifle setup, even more so than my integral 10/22, my Savage MKII trr-sr bolt action, or myriad of other hosts plus muzzle cans.

It is stupid quiet given the long baffle stack and porting, plus there is no action noise.  However it still has a ROF that is probably 5X that of a bolt action or 10/22 bolt lock doodad all without losing your cheekweld/sight picture.   I have had folks continue to work the lever multiple times after the gun ran out of ammo thinking they were still shooting there is so little noise or recoil.
Top Top