Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2017 5:58:09 AM EDT
Looking for my own reference. I know the magical number for db ratings and "hearing safe" is 140db for impulse noises. And a 16 in. rifle w/ suppressor will get a little below that generally in 5.56 (I'd still wear ear pro anyways). But I'm have a hard time for some reason (maybe my google-fu sucks) finding numbers for guns like AR's with shorter barrel like 10ish, etc.

Is the db level comparing a 10 in barrel to a 16 suppressed barrel going to be similar?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The Silencer Shop has a video on the topic, as you might expect, shorter barrels with the same suooressor are louder. But not by much.

A couple of years ago several of us got together for suppressor shoot in VA. Gamerc was the member who initiated the effort and several of us brought our suppressors and host rifles, Hanson Brothers brought some suppressors, hosts and a sound meter. The shooting and testing was videoed and gamerc edited and posted the video here. Some good info to be seen in the video, including different suppressors same host and ammo, same suppressor different host, same ammo. Iirc, for most testing we used 16" 5.56, 10.5" 5.56 and 10.5" 300blk.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Very little difference at the shooter's ear and a little difference to those standing around. You wouldn't know it's a short barrel just from the sound.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure it's louder, but I've never really noticed much difference to be honest. I used to get really wrapped up about db, but the more I shoot suppressed the more I see how insignificant that aspect is (ironically) in shooting suppressed. My 10.3" on up to my 16", I can't really even tell a big difference on my 7.62, but maybe I'm just losing my hearing and can't discern the difference as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Kinda surprising. I figured it would be a discernable difference.

Still, ear pro for the win I think. I'm sure I've done some damage to my ears over the years, how can you not. But I like my ears how they are. Don't wanna hurt them more.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm kind of surprised by these reports as well. I always thought my 16" was a fair bit louder than my 20" (both unsuppressed at the time) while wearing earpro. So, I just assumed a 11.5 or 12 would be a fair bit louder than the 16 even when suppressed. I would like to have a 12" SBR but have been putting it off because of noise concerns when coyote hunting w/o earpro, and the 16" is about all I can stand in the right ear. I guess that's the port noise more than the muzzle blast though...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm kind of surprised by these reports as well. I always thought my 16" was a fair bit louder than my 20" (both unsuppressed at the time) while wearing earpro. So, I just assumed a 11.5 or 12 would be a fair bit louder than the 16 even when suppressed. I would like to have a 12" SBR but have been putting it off because of noise concerns when coyote hunting w/o earpro, and the 16" is about all I can stand in the right ear. I guess that's the port noise more than the muzzle blast though...
View Quote
Now SBRs unsuppressed=big difference. Especially with a brake. Ive got a 16" w/ GA flash hider, and 13.7" with GA minimalist brake. The SBR is bone jarring unsuppressed but I think its the brake. Both with a Sportsmen sound comparable suppressed. I wont shoot the SBR without the can. Not fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top