Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 9:33:56 AM EDT
Built 2 ar uppers (6 x 45 and .264 LBC-6.5 Grendel clone) using SLR 7 handguards, adjustable gas blocks and gas tubes.  I tested these rifles for function, and after waiting over a year for the stamps (suppressor), I finally started shooting them for accuracy.  Both have unexplained fliers.  In looking my builds over, both guns have the gas block hitting the inside of the handguard.  Calling SLR is a waste of time.  They don't even answer the phone, but force you to leave your phone number.  I paid $400 for each guns parts-yes $800.  Turns out the problem is well known:

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/218871-gas-block-hitting-handguard/

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8356.html

just a heads up.  These guys cost me hundreds of dollars in gas for trips to the range and wasted ammo in addition to the defective parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps post this in their industry sub forum. Likely better than suppressor subforum if you’re trying to get in touch with them to get this fixed. Worth sending them a PM here and/or an email.

Sorry to hear yours isn’t working. I had to use their CS once before and Todd was excellent to get the issue fixed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a Daniel defense rail and an slr gas block. I shaved it down at the side screw after having the same issue. You can also tilt it slightly off center to make room. Both work, effectively.

I'm not here to praise or bash. I see enough of both. But I will tell you that via email, when I tried to get the screw off after I shaved it down, he told me to print the email and send him the block and email. I did. The next week I received a brand new gas block (his block wasn't the defect, I was). That was solid and above and beyond as all I was looking for was to buy a new screw.

I now have 4 slr gas blocks, and just run geissele rails. The combo works and all are solid products. The DD rail was more money and didn't work with the combo I ran, and I decided adjusting gas was more important than being picky about the rail. Just my 2 cents

[email protected] or perhaps fill out the contact form

Have some coffee, and send them an email as well as filling out the contact form. Someone will be along and they will help. Just try to lighten up on accusations and dragging a company through the mud before you exhaust a few more resources.

Attachment Attached File

You can see there's usually room on the safety side of the gun for a few degrees rotation and then just use a dremel and zip a few thou off the gas block screw on the side. Blue it with a sharpie
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't speak for their handguards, but I do like my three Sentry 7 and 8 gas blocks from them.  I had to remove material from the inside of the Midwest Industries handguards that I used but I had sort of planned on that possibility since I'm trying to use an AGB inside a slim handguard.  Hopefully they respond to you, nothing is more frustrating than spending a bunch of $$ with a company and then having them cut off contact when something goes wrong.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP shoot me an email I'll see what we can do to resolve this.

[email protected]
View Quote
That's standup
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 of the Sentry 7 gas blocks that live under Aero M4E1 Enhanced rails (1.8" ID to fit the suppressor) so there is plenty of room. That being said, they adjust as expected. I run them on a 10.5" 5.56, 8.5" 300BLK, 11" 7.62x39, and a 12.5" .308 with great success, all rifles are suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#7]
IN for the results of this.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a sentry 6 and it’s been fine so far on a 11.5” .223 with an omega-30
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I run Sentry adjustable blocks on most of my rifles - no complaints.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#10]
This is just what happens with ultra low profile rails and many gas blocks. Centurion CMR rails aren't even guaranteed to work with anything but their own gas block. Gotta watch those internal diameters and gas block dimensions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I run both a Sentry 7 clamp-on and a Sentry 7 set screw. Zero issues with either one when using the appropriate handguard.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
They can be pretty tight. Sentry 9 under a MI 308 rail.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's standup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP shoot me an email I'll see what we can do to resolve this.

[email protected]
That's standup
I recently had a problem with a brand new Sentry 7.   SLR sent me a new one express mail (with return shipping label for the defective one) after a single phone call.  Zero hassle or issue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I recently had a problem with a brand new Sentry 7.   SLR sent me a new one express mail (with return shipping label for the defective one) after a single phone call.  Zero hassle or issue.
View Quote
That is the power of the Silencers forum. Come in bitching, leave with stellar customer service.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to sell anything let me know
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Well since you're trashing SLR, I guess I'll share my story of my gas block sizing up on me.

I built a full custom, no expense spared competition multigun rifle in which I used an SLR sentry 6. I tried to move the screw a few turns after each match, but roughly 3yr later my screw wouldn't move any longer. I ended up stripping the tiny set screw adjuster. I had never taken it apart to clean and couldn't remove it from my rifle due to the brake being pinned.

After trying every solvent and oil I had, I was finally able to remove the tiny set screw by managing to get some leverage on a torx jammed in the screw. I know SLR has replaced blocks in this situation however I just wanted a new screw. Todd responded to my email within 3 business hours and sent me a complete rebuild kit with the updated screw that has a larger head! That experience made me feel a lot better about recommending 2 friends use SLR blocks on their newest builds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I love slr they are a great company with great products
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is the power of the Silencers forum. Come in bitching, leave with stellar customer service.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Never had that problem with my AGBs and Ion rails. I've never tried to call them, but when I've emailed SLR I've gotten very quick responses.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I hope mine works with the ALG rail I am using. It’s got a larue barrel so why not add some controversy
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I know I hade to file down my Larue quad rail because my Sentry 7 leaf spring bolt was touching. It took about 1 minute and it is not visible from the outside of the rail.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm using a sentry 9 under an Ion ultralight handguard.

That's the largest slr AGB under SLR's smallest ID rail.  No contact before or during firing.

I actually bought the SLR handguard because the JP mk III didn't offer enough clearance.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I can see your frustration with the gas block and handguard from the same mfg having fitment issues, but blaming them for your wasted gas, ammo, and range time????  If you assembled the uppers it's on you not them. You should have noticed the lack of clearance during assembly.  I can't stand people blaming their problems on others.

Yes, they should have a warning of possible tight fitment issues with that handguard gas block combo, but that's it.

If you would have noticed during assembly you could have probably returned the handguards.

Since all parts are used now and unreturnable, I would make it work. It looks like a die grinder or dremmel would gain you enough clearance pretty easily. I would grind the inside of the handguard not the gas block. Or you may be able to cant the gas block enough.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well since you're trashing SLR, I guess I'll share my story of my gas block sizing up on me.

I built a full custom, no expense spared competition multigun rifle in which I used an SLR sentry 6. I tried to move the screw a few turns after each match, but roughly 3yr later my screw wouldn't move any longer. I ended up stripping the tiny set screw adjuster. I had never taken it apart to clean and couldn't remove it from my rifle due to the brake being pinned.

After trying every solvent and oil I had, I was finally able to remove the tiny set screw by managing to get some leverage on a torx jammed in the screw. I know SLR has replaced blocks in this situation however I just wanted a new screw. Todd responded to my email within 3 business hours and sent me a complete rebuild kit with the updated screw that has a larger head! That experience made me feel a lot better about recommending 2 friends use SLR blocks on their newest builds.
View Quote
+1

I stripped the the heads on the screws for my SLR rail by using the wrong size Allen wrench, and emailed Todd asking if I could purchase some replacement screws from him. Within 2 hours he emailed me back and said he'd send me some new screws for free. He wouldn't even let me pay postage. Awesome customer service.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow that's surely above and beyond colour me impressed. I had no idea SLR was so good to their customers granted I only have two of their products (2 Sentry 9's) but they're quality parts and I've never had a problem. Hope you get everything squared away OP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have zero complaints about SLR.  And to be clear, I didn't have to post in an online forum for them to quickly, promptly, and courteously address my issue.   Their ION ultra light rail is a work of art.

Gratuitous SLR build pic...and the Sentry 7 clears the rail.  It is a tight fit, but no interference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#27]
^^^^^ Nice rig

But could you get a larger RDS on it?!?!

It's huge.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
^^^^^ Nice rig

But could you get a larger RDS on it?!?!

It's huge.
View Quote
Very true.  But I LOVE the reticle and large window on the eotech.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I run Syrac gas blocks.  Had an SLR and the weak ass leaf spring broke when it was a little too cold outside.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Plenty of SLR love, but i'll throw in....

Bought two Sentry 7's about a week apart.  Installed was out shooting, adjust, adjustment screw fails.  Snapped mid screw while i'm trying to adjust.  About a week later shooting the other build......SAME THING.  Call SLR, leave message, Todd calls me back in about 30 minutes.  This was about 7:30 at night SLR local time.  Says, sorry, i was eating dinner with family, whats up.  Told him issue.  Says, yeah, we seem to have gotten a bad batch from heat treating, send me an email and i'll send you a new one.  I told him, look, i don't need a new one, just new screws, i can fix it.  So about 3 days later, I get a package with two new Sentry 7's, and two rebuild kits.

OP, you will be taken care of.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one of the adjustable gasblocks and using the adjustment screw with the sliding "T"
handle at the end. The handle actually broke in half and fell out. I switched to the allen
head one and all is well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Paging @cmatera to the courtesy phone
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Dont complain on them, call.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Perhaps post this in their industry sub forum. Likely better than suppressor subforum if you’re trying to get in touch with them to get this fixed. Worth sending them a PM here and/or an email.

Sorry to hear yours isn’t working. I had to use their CS once before and Todd was excellent to get the issue fixed.
View Quote
Nope. They showed their true character there already. They delete posts like this. Happened multiple times to different people.

I keep trying to tell everyone to stay away.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah, the old bash and run...

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nope. They showed their true character there already. They delete posts like this. Happened multiple times to different people.

View Quote
I remember something about an AIM bcg stake job or something calling out about poor quality on something perfectly functional. But then again, what do I know
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I remember something about an AIM bcg stake job or something calling out about poor quality on something perfectly functional. But then again, what do I know
View Quote
The op from that thread is still around causing trouble but he got bashed in the Aim thread for good reason
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The op from that thread is still around causing trouble but he got bashed in the Aim thread for good reason
View Quote
Yes, yes he is still around haha
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Built 2 ar uppers (6 x 45 and .264 LBC-6.5 Grendel clone) using SLR 7 handguards, adjustable gas blocks and gas tubes.  I tested these rifles for function, and after waiting over a year for the stamps (suppressor), I finally started shooting them for accuracy.  Both have unexplained fliers.  In looking my builds over, both guns have the gas block hitting the inside of the handguard.  Calling SLR is a waste of time.  They don't even answer the phone, but force you to leave your phone number.  I paid $400 for each guns parts-yes $800.  Turns out the problem is well known:

just a heads up.  These guys cost me hundreds of dollars in gas for trips to the range and wasted ammo in addition to the defective parts
View Quote
IMO, this is the one of the worst types of customer/forum posts. OP Writes headline simply telling people to avoid Company_A.  Company_A *might* lose potential customers who were considering a product but looks elsewhere because they never clicked into thread. 
OP posts some shade on forum before (i assume?) reaching out to Company_A to try and handle it.
Company_A also responds inside the thread and offers for help - with no followup from OP.
I had an issue with my Sentry gas block and SLR took care of it. I had another issue with my order and after a couple days, the part was delivered. 
These forums are incredibly valuable for people to learn from others mistakes and to promote the good companies and let the others fall off. Is SLR the best company out there? Probably not.
Does SLR work to at least make the customer happy, (even if the customer might not deserve it)? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a sentry 7 and solo mid 9.7 and don't have any issues on a rainer 10.5" with GA optimus.

How was the accuracy before the suppressor?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I gave up on the SLR Sentry 7 a while back. I’ve been a SLR customer since I first started on arfcom. I had their first AGB and loved it. When they announced the updated one with titanium leaf spring, I jumped all over it. It worked VERY well with my 16 inch ar. Once I put it on my SBR (9.25 inch) I kept breaking the leaf spring. SLR took good care of me. First replacement springs were sent, then a whole new unit was sent (there was an upgrade). At the end, they sent me 2 of the old style AGB’s because I kept breaking them.

I now run a Govnah with no issues. I did figure out the original issue and it wasn’t SLR’s fault. It was the barrel’s gas port...it was WAY too big. I got rid of that barrel and got a 10.3 incher with a proper gas port. I haven’t tried the Sentry since I run the govnah.

SLR has a great CS and will bend over backwards to help its customers. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I just did builds with an SLR 7 and SLR handguard, and a titanium SLR 6 with a bcm kmr, no interference issues at all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I love my SLR rail and comps but the Renegade charging handle was a flop, mine started eating up my upper in a short while and is now a paperweight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I had to grind down my nsr handrail on the inside. But I noticed it was super close while inspecting it. I have no issues. I just used a black paint open after grinding the rail internally.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. I love how your EE rating went down even more.

Todd answered an email on a Sunday night. Total replacement for one of their gen1 blocks because the leaf spring broke. Prompt response to emails about a rail purchase. They will see every penny i put towards gas blocks going forward because they have excellent customer service. Cry some more OP. All these posts do is prove how awesome they are.

eta
After reading the second thread on weaponevolutions, does that person not know what a gasbuster CH is? And you use that as proof for your bashing SLR? LoL
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

just a heads up.  These guys cost me hundreds of dollars in gas for trips to the range and wasted ammo in addition to the defective parts.
View Quote

So this happened back in 2015 and you're just posting it now?   You trollin' or what?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#47]
No figment issues with slr blocks and rails on my end.

My block stopped “clicking” when adjusting. Contacted slr and the responded that they would rebuild it or send me a rebuild kit.

And sent it the next day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here, granted I have the first version Sentry gas blocks. I have 2 frozen/stripped blocks with stripped screws, and I think the 3rd on my 10.3" suppressed is frozen as well...I'm afraid to take it apart to clean it.Enter your zip code here
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#49]
No issues with my Sentry6 on a 16” Faxon GUNNER 5.56 Aero Precision M4 build.

Got a Sentry7 from “crkone” (an SLR employee on here) on a sweet discount through my “WTB” thread. crkone/SLR reached out to me when I was looking for a .750 AGB to finish out my AR10 build. That’s service there, and the item was in my hands inside a week.

SLR will continue to get my business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top