Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2017 10:28:38 PM EDT
Anyone have feedback on how the Maxim 9 sounds next to a traditional suppressed pistol?
Numbers aren't everything, but the decibel numbers don't look great - sub 9 has a higher reading than the Rugged K length on a 45acp.

Looking for feedback from those who have shot it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't shot one, but I played with one at a shop...  Wow, is the trigger bad. 

And I guess I could be considered a Silencerco fanboy as I have two of their cans - no way I'd touch the Maxim unless they have a v2 trigger or Apex does one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot it next to a tirant 9, octane 9, osprey 45 with 9mm, and omega 9k. It was the loudest of the bunch. It's a cool gun, but the demo kept me from buying.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Great points as always Joshua! I would add the Maxim does away with some of the other drawbacks of a traditional pistol/suppressor setup:

Is my can unscrewing? No problem with the Maxim.
Is my Nielsen device too fouled up or the can too heavy making the gun jam? No problem with the Maxim.
Is my point of impact different with the can on? No problem with the Maxim.

As it stands, my biggest takeaway from the Maxim is it seems just like a normal gun when you pick it up and shoot it. Just alot quieter!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I do want a Maxim 9 but I will likely wait until a better trigger is available. I have not handled one yet as I don't see any locally but I have found lately that guns I buy with average to poor triggers just sit in the safe. If its not comparable to the sig 320, vp9 or czp10 I wont consider it. If its equivalent to a stock glock trigger I will wait.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I really want one. I handled one at CA when I picked up my lower back in July but stupidly didn't try the trigger. 
Id hate to think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be but its got me second guessing it. 

Gonna wait ant till the next time I'm in Austin and go in specifically to look at the maxim. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not that bad. At least on mine. Just like a glock but more spongy. Honestly it's s nightstand gun for me not a competition gun. I'm not hung up on triggers, the only trigger I really have issues with is my polish p-64 double action because I literally can't pull it one handed. That's a rough trigger IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone have feedback on how the Maxim 9 sounds next to a traditional suppressed pistol?
Numbers aren't everything, but the decibel numbers don't look great - sub 9 has a higher reading than the Rugged K length on a 45acp.

Looking for feedback from those who have shot it.
View Quote

I did a little side by side testing with my Beretta and Vortex 9. Also looked at subsonic vs supersonic and short configuration vs long configuration. No db readings just side by side recording so you can hear for yourself.
https://youtu.be/ScliI71MiJw
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Handled mine for the first time today and it is full of awesomeness.

EXCEPT the trigger, which is probably the worst production gun trigger I have ever manipulated.  The first stage is long, mushy and hard.  The second stage is just plain HARD, like 15 pounds commie milspec.

The demo model had about 2K rounds on it, and broke like a Glock NYT.  So better than mine but still terrible.

I am no trigger snob, but the Maxim 9 hopefully will have an aftermarket trigger or some fluff and buff figured out by the time mine gets out of jail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
^Thank you for your honest feedback. Most invested in this would likely sugar coat it.  I'm sure one way or another the trigger will get better. It sure does look badass. That would make a great gun for the wife at home.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did a little side by side testing with my Beretta and Vortex 9. Also looked at subsonic vs supersonic and short configuration vs long configuration. No db readings just side by side recording so you can hear for yourself.
https://youtu.be/ScliI71MiJw
View Quote
Thanks, that's the kind of comparison I was looking for. Guess I'll order one for myself and hope I get lucky on the trigger
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I played with one yesterday the thing feels light and I was super impressed with the way the gun handles.

The trigger is kind of like a Glock trigger. The take up was real rough, gritty feeling. The brake and reset though where clean. I didn't weigh the trigger but it was probably about 8 pounds. The version I played with was a version 2. Honestly I felt like after a few hundred rounds the trigger would smooth out. It did however feel like a really bad Glock trigger a bit heavy but also a gritty take up.

Man I want one now that I've handled one, and they are so light.

One more thing I didn't like, my support hand rested right where the trigger guard started to bend. So it was digging into my finger. Id just smooth that out though. Oh and the trigger of makes me want a semi flat trigger now, I like it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]
honestly.  its not that bad lol. is it a match trigger?  not even close but does it work?  yes  it works well.  im sure some of that grittiness will smooth out over time.  but to me it felt just as bad as my factory gen 4 19 trigger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is a video I did a couple of months ago - just me taking some shots of 115 and 147.
https://youtu.be/w3rVk-AW_1c

The trigger gripes are overblown I think. It's not a light trigger, but it's not going to take a pack of mules to pull it. Try a factory CZ SP09 - that's a bad one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I sent Apex an e-mail last week requesting a Maxim 9 trigger and received a standard "not available at this time" response. Hopefully a few others will request one as well to at least get it on their radar. As it stands, the mushy-Glock similarity is definitely my experience but far from the "worst" trigger experience some are reporting. At the Maxim owners event we were all banging steel just fine!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad to hear that the one i handled was probably an outlier then. I dont complain about triggers, i use factory everything.   But the one i felt was just bad and it forced me to wince waiting for the break.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I must have gotten the other outlier then because I would have thought twice about buying a first gen trigger after manipulating the one on mine.

My dealer said all the first gens he had are hit or miss as far as how they feel.

You doubting Thomases are free to try my trigger before passing judgement.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Just bought one, it's in NFA jail and I haven't shot it yet. Questions:

While fondling it briefly, I pulled the trigger a few times and thought it was stuck. Turns out I wasn't depressing the trigger safety enough. Granted, I wasn't pointing it like I was shooting it, i was holding it sideways, looking at it while I was playing with the trigger. Do any of you users have any issues with not depressing the trigger safety while shooting?

I heard it was compatible with M&P triggers, is that true?

I already bought an RMR for it. I'm confused, it is RMR ready or do I have to buy a RMR specific mounting plate?

How is it indoors with subsonic in the short configuration?

Edited to add: anyone have db readings other than Silencerco and Capital Armory?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just bought one, it's in NFA jail and I haven't shot it yet. Questions:

While fondling it briefly, I pulled the trigger a few times and thought it was stuck. Turns out I wasn't depressing the trigger safety enough. Granted, I wasn't pointing it like I was shooting it, i was holding it sideways, looking at it while I was playing with the trigger. Do any of you users have any issues with not depressing the trigger safety while shooting?

I heard it was compatible with M&P triggers, is that true?

I already bought an RMR for it. I'm confused, it is RMR ready or do I have to buy a RMR specific mounting plate?

How is it indoors with subsonic in the short configuration?

Edited to add: anyone have db readings other than Silencerco and Capital Armory?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote
Subbed, for RMR answers
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Subbed, for RMR answers
View Quote
You have to buy the mounting plate for the RMR. Silencerco makes a few different plates but they are temporarily sold out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The trigger on the example I handled was gritty and 15+ pounds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I've shot a few of them now and it's honestly my favorite pistol. I've tried the traditional suppressed handgun thing but was disappointed with the loss of utility and reliability from suppressing a traditional handgun. I especially don't like the way traditional handguns shoot with a suppressor attached. The maxim 9 sounds great in person, points like a standard gun and can be carried/ holstered easily. None of the maxims I've handled have had what I consider a "bad" trigger but I also don't expect or desire a match 1911 trigger in a pistol that I will use for carry duty. The maxim 9 will not be for everyone, but mine is going to see a lot of hard use in the years to come.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot mine today and can answer one of my own questions (from a few posts up). I definitely have to make a conscious effort to position my finger lower on the trigger otherwise the trigger safety wont disengage. Kind of annoying, but otherwise it was great! Blast to shoot and handle!

Made a video, sorry it's an indoor range, but mine is in NFA jail for the next year or so!

https://youtu.be/dj_gI5DBOxA
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are in the DFW area, the range I work at has a Maxim 9 as a rental.  If interested PM me for details, and I have an Osprey 45 and an Obisidian if you want to compare.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Did Silencerco copy the Glock MOS mounting plate system? This picture has a Maxim 9 with what appears to be a Glock MOS mounting plate for the RMR...

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I went ahead and ordered one which I received today (gotta love eforms). The trigger on this one is much nicer than you one I handled in person before hand.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went ahead and ordered one which I received today (gotta love eforms). The trigger on this one is much nicer than you one I handled in person before hand.
View Quote
Congrats! As an owner you are now obliged to reach out to Apex and request a Maxim 9 trigger ;)
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I got around to shooting mine today; very happy with the tone and overall level of sound. The trigger isn't great but isn't terrible either - it starting feeling better after the first few mags.
I did have a few instances where the trigger didn't reset and had to retack the slide even though it did pick up another round - it's the first day out so I'll see if it's just a break in thing or switch ammo.

Here's a video next to a suppressed Glock 17 so others can get a better idea how it sounds

https://youtu.be/iDNbqJewSeI
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I would love to have a Maxim 9 for a duty gun. Shooting unsuppressed without ear pro, especially inside, sucks.  I think that’s where it’s usefulness truly shines. Quieter application in a normal sized package where a traditional can just isn’t feasible.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I had the form 4 sent off the other day for one. My biggest question now is it holsterable with an RMR mounted? If so, with which holster?

The trigger take up sucks, but the break and reset on the one I fingered wasn't bad. I can definitely see how not putting your finger low enough on the trigger can cause it to be stuck. I think there is some variance from gun to gun because the one I submitted the form 4 for was NIB and didn't feel as good as the one in the showroom case. Maybe it just needs to break in? I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Tried one today at a SiCo demonstration.  Wondered why the trigger seemed "stuck" at the outset.  After reading these posts, realize I use a high on trigger pull, and likely not depressing the trigger safety adequately on each pull.  The rest of the trigger wasn't too bad, and pistol seemed pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:03:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My biggest question now is it holsterable with an RMR mounted? If so, with which holster?
View Quote
As an amateur kydex bender, I can say that would be an easy pistol to make a holster for.  I've seen a commercial holster for it, but I can't remember who made it.  

It might be challenging to make a holster that could accomodate a light, that was secure if the light wasn't installed, but that would be a huge holster anyway.

Be patient... it will happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top