Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Unknown round count but it has a lot. barrels from 8" to 18" semi and full auto. AAC m4-2000
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Surefire RC2 with 550 rounds through it, mostly a 10.5” and 11.5” with 3P FHs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Sandman S with maybe 1500 rounds of various .223 / 5.56 on a 10.5" LMT upper with flash suppressor mount.

I was just looking at the can and noticed the blast baffle is somewhat beat up so I figured I'd post a pic

Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gck5150:
Sandman S with maybe 1500 rounds of various .223 / 5.56 on a 10.5" LMT upper with flash suppressor mount.

I was just looking at the can and noticed the blast baffle is somewhat beat up so I figured I'd post a pic

https://i.imgur.com/YqftJBP.jpg
View Quote
Holy crap! Only 1,500 rounds?

I'd be interested in hearing what the manufacturer says about that erosion.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMKeith] [#5]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@mageever
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

They have a pretty thick blast baffle. I'd imagine while it may round off the edges a bit it isn't going anywhere for awhile
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that a piece missing at 3:00?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:02:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: abnt89] [#8]
Here's my sandman S that's had about 3000 rounds through it. It's been on a 10.5" with a flash hider the whole time and has only seen 223 in semi. Kind of looks like the above Sandman pic too as far as the blast baffle goes.

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Good thread.  Seeing some of the pictures has made me rethink going with just FHs on my 10.5” guns and getting hammer comps to act as sacrificial baffles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, even the mighty Stellite baffle yields to the sandblasting of an SBR.  Would've thought if would take longer than that, though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a sandman-s in jail right now.  Seeing those baffles crumbling at such a low round count (compared to others in this thread) has me second guessing my choice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:49:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#12]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
View Quote
That's what I was concerned about. Another in the post right after yours, too.

Originally Posted By abnt89:
Here's my sandman S that's had about 3000 rounds through it. It's been on a 10.5" with a flash hider the whole time and has only seen 223 in semi. Kind of looks like the above Sandman pic too as far as the blast baffle goes.

https://i.imgur.com/fzaQvUv.jpg
View Quote
I have a form 1 that's lived on a 10.5" that looks better than that. Granted, only about 1000 rounds, but still...
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:59:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#13]
Innovative Arms direct thread 5.56. ~8,000 rounds, half on a 16” and half on a 10.5” AR:

I’m really surprised (and pleased) at how well this IA can is doing.  It’s a little heavy for a 5.56 can so it’s built like a tank

Griffin Recce 5 Mod 3, ~3,000rds 16” AR

That little bit of build up is easily removed but it’s not enough to mess with right now.

Griffin Optimus Micro: ~1,000rds 16” AR, ~250rds 20” 224 Valkyrie and unknown 22lr

After cleaning the baffles I didn’t really see anything I’d consider wear.  This tiny can is a beast
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
I have a sandman-s in jail right now.  Seeing those baffles crumbling at such a low round count (compared to others in this thread) has me second guessing my choice.
View Quote
Maybe I’m seeing it differently, but to me these Sandman blast baffles look to have build up on the non-clipped portion of the baffle.  Some of the buildup seems to have been knocked off giving it the appearance of the baffle being chipped or broken.  I have a Wolverine pending that uses the same baffle design so I’m hopeful that I’m right, but open to discussion.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By rdb2403:

Maybe I’m seeing it differently, but to me these Sandman blast baffles look to have build up on the non-clipped portion of the baffle.  Some of the buildup seems to have been knocked off giving it the appearance of the baffle being chipped or broken.  I have a Wolverine pending that uses the same baffle design so I’m hopeful that I’m right, but open to discussion.
View Quote
Zoomed in on the 2nd picture of the Sandman above:

That’s not buildup causing an “appearance”....
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:Wow, even the mighty Stellite baffle yields to the sandblasting of an SBR.  Would've thought if would take longer than that, though.
View Quote
Yes, that’s shocking to me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#17]
For comparison, here's a Sandman S with zero rounds.

@bradpierson26 how's it holding up?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The more I look at it, it might actually be "build up".
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#19]
For comparison, here's a Sandman S with zero rounds.

@bradpierson26 how's it holding up?
View Quote
I can get a pic tonight
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#20]
16” 5.56 seems OK, but some of these pics seem to be a PSA for running a sacrificial baffle muzzle device if you’re going to be doing a lot of, or exclusive, shooting of 5.56 out of a 11.5 or shorter 5.56.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]
@gck5150 and @abnt89,

Wow! That's very abnormal for a stellite baffle.  Please contact our customer service and we'll quickly get these rebuilt for you.

We have demo cans that have seen many thousands or rounds more than this that only have a slight surface impingement on the baffle.  It's very thick, too, so if there is erosion it's not going to affect the structural integrity of the baffle.  If I had to hazard a guess, there could have been some baffle strikes that cracked that baffle and accelerated the breakdown or it could have just been a bad casting.  We investment cast the baffles because there's no reasonable way to machine this it.  It's not unheard of to have a cast part that has porosity issues, although, this is the first we've seen it on our baffles.  In any case, we'll absolutely fix this if anyone ever runs into it.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
Wow, even the mighty Stellite baffle yields to the sandblasting of an SBR.  Would've thought if would take longer than that, though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
This is very atypical.  From my Silencerco days to now, I've never seen stellite wear this bad from such a relatively low round count.  I believe there are some special root cause factors as outlined above.  In any case, we'll definitely fix that.

Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Yeah, if you've ever seen a chip out of stellite, it's because there was a bullet that contacted it at some point.  It's an incredibly hard material for wear purposes, but it'll chip more than deform when a bullet contacts it.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mageever:
@gck5150 and @abnt89,

Wow! That's very abnormal for a stellite baffle.  Please contact our customer service and we'll quickly get these rebuilt for you.

We have demo cans that have seen many thousands or rounds more than this that only have a slight surface impingement on the baffle.  It's very thick, too, so if there is erosion it's not going to affect the structural integrity of the baffle.  If I had to hazard a guess, there could have been some baffle strikes that cracked that baffle and accelerated the breakdown or it could have just been a bad casting.  We investment cast the baffles because there's no reasonable way to machine this it.  It's not unheard of to have a cast part that has porosity issues, although, this is the first we've seen it on our baffles.  In any case, we'll absolutely fix this if anyone ever runs into it.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
Thanks for the replay Todd, it really doesn't bother me but I'll shoot them an email with some pictures and see what they say. Out of curiosity and maybe slight ignorance, and without derailing the thread too much, would it even be possible to have a blast baffle strike and still have the rest of them and the end cap be in perfect condition? Either way I'll shoot customer service an email, thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By abnt89:

Thanks for the replay Todd, it really doesn't bother me but I'll shoot them an email with some pictures and see what they say. Out of curiosity and maybe slight ignorance, and without derailing the thread too much, would it even be possible to have a blast baffle strike and still have the rest of them and the end cap be in perfect condition? Either way I'll shoot customer service an email, thanks again.
View Quote
Yep, it happens.  I've also seen bores on suppressors that should absolutely strike (like if you shone a laser down the bore it would totally hit a baffle)--but nothing happens or it only strikes the front cap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Not only is a 10.5 much harder on a can without a brake but there is such a thing called jacket separation.  If you run a rifle hard enough the jacket can seperate from the lead core and strike the stack.  Dead Air is always there when you need them!  ;-)
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Sandman K, with an extremely abusive 2k or so. About half full auto mag dumps.

Used on various hosts:
4.5” - 5.56
8” - 5.56
13.7” - 5.56
8.5” - 7.62x51
5.9” - .300blk
8.5” - .300blk
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
^^ I want to see a 4.5” suppressed AR
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Griffin Alpha/Palidan.
Unknown round count, but it's a lot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By aksahsalahs:
Sandman K, with an extremely abusive 2k or so. About half full auto mag dumps.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101965/66149239-3E16-45C7-9B00-E9A50A914B0F-752088.jpg

Used on various hosts:
4.5” - 5.56
8” - 5.56
13.7” - 5.56
8.5” - 7.62x51
5.9” - .300blk
8.5” - .300blk
View Quote
Flash hider or brake?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably drop some weight and gain some volume back by cleaning all that crap out
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#31]
For comparison, here's my Sandman-S with approximately 4,000 rounds of assorted calibers through it.  75% of that is from an 11.5" 5.56 with a brake, the balance is mostly a .243 RPR and a 12.5" Grendel, both with brakes.  I couldn't get a very clear pic, but the baffles show no real wear, just lots of carbon.  None of my brakes are showing much measurable wear either.

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Sandman S
Under 1,000rnds
Mostly 12” 762x39

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mageever:
@gck5150 and @abnt89,

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
Thanks, Todd. I suspected a baffle strike/graze or jacket separation might be responsible. The rest of the baffles appear to be fairly intact... just the normal combination of buildup and abrasion that just kinda makes them look fuzzy.

I'll get in touch with customer service in the near future. I might want to take the can to the range this weekend but I'll get it back to you guys soon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:
Probably drop some weight and gain some volume back by cleaning all that crap out
View All Quotes
Yeah it's on my list to do this winter..
you should have seen my Optimus after 500 rounds of subsonic 300blk...

I'm pretty sold on user serviceable cans.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:13:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#35]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

View All Quotes

@right_rudder

I've noticed a fair bit less carbon since I started using Vihtavouri for my 300blk sub loads

What's the most you've run through the Paladin without breaking it down?

Have you ever tried the paladin tool on the optimus?  I've had to beat my baffles out with a dowel, it's not a big deal but I'd much rather use a press tool
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

@right_rudder

I've noticed a fair bit less carbon since I started using Vihtavouri for my 300blk sub loads

Have you ever tried the paladin tool on the optimus?  I've had to beat my baffles out with a dowel, it's not a big deal but I'd much rather use a press tool
View Quote
@Effenpig

Actually, those pics tonight of the Palidan.. it's never been cleaned. But it's run mostly on an 11.5" 556 and a 22" 6.5cm (both semi and bolt).
And as you can see, it's due for a cleaning.

Im gonna experiment with different powders for my subs going forward..  I'd be interested in your load, I don't mind cleaning but damn. Lol.

to answer your question about the Optimus baffle pusher... works like a charm with the mid length (blast shield).
I'll never again beat my baffles out.. it's just too easy with the tool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#37]
@Effenpig

Actually, those pics tonight of the Palidan.. it's never been cleaned. But it's run mostly on an 11.5" 556 and a 22" 6.5cm (both semi and bolt).

Im gonna experiment with different powders for my subs going forward..  I'd be interested in your load, I don't mind cleaning but damn. Lol.

to answer your question about the Optimus baffle pusher... works like a charm with the mid length (blast shield).
View All Quotes

@right_rudder

@Effenpig

@right_rudder

Interesting, I'll have to see if they'll sell the tool separate. Maybe I'll have to buy a paladin...

Send me a PM or email and we'll go over some load data
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:06:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#38]
This is what my Sandman K currently looks like.

Don't have an exact round count but I'd say roughly 200 .300 blk subs, 500 .300 blk supers, 200, maybe 300 mixture of .223 and 5.56 spec ammo.

Hosts, 16in bolt .300 blk with the brake.  AR pattern guns, 8.3 .300 blk with hider, 10.5 and 16 .223/5.56 with hider. Also I should probably mention that most of the .300 blk has actually been through the bolt gun so not nearly as abusive as it is with the shorter setups and that one has the brake on it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#39]
^^ I want to see a 4.5" suppressed AR
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ComicalGrub503:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ComicalGrub503:
^^ I want to see a 4.5" suppressed AR
As and ye shall receive. This is the only pic I have currently, has a chimera on it, but I use the K to keep it short. Also pictures is the 5.9” .300Blk that I use it on.

And to keep it on track, here is a Saker 556k with about 300 rounds. Mostly a 16” gun.

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KingRollo] [#41]
I hope this pic is quality. Sandman S 2k~ rounds of mixed M855 and M193 shot from 11.5" and 10.3" SBRs.

ETA: Only with the flash hider mounts. I also hit this with the air compressor the other day.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Surefire Mini, 10.3, Warcomp. 5249 rounds.
20181210_002419 by B A, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#43]
M4-2000 + Brakeout 2.0
2500 rounds
11.5 and 14.5 SBRs
XM193, 55gr GDSP, BH 77gr OTM blue box
recently serviced by AAC (new latch, latch spring, cerakote) 4 day turn around!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#44]
Griffin Optimus.

About 2k 9mm via pistol
About 500 5.56 from a 10.5" in long configuration with a taper mount comp
About 1,000 5.56 from a 10.5" in mid configuration with micro 3 prong flash hider taper mount.
About 50 6.5 creedmoor
100 7.62x51 from 18" with paladin taper mount.

Lightly cleaned. Mid configuration with 3 prong seems to have sped things up.

This is after the first 100 with 3 prong.

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:
Griffin Optimus.

About 2k 9mm via pistol
About 1,000 5.56 from a 10.5" in mid configuration with micro 3 prong flash hider taper mount.
About 50 6.5 creedmoor
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_172640-781822.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_172623-781825.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_172651-781826.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_175007-781827.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_190048-781896.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_190026-781952.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_190117-781953.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181215_170722-781903.jpg
View Quote
Shouldn't be too hard to replace when it does eventually wear out
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Griffin Optimus.

About 2k 9mm via pistol
About 50 6.5 creedmoor
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_172623-781825.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313258/20181222_172651-781826.jpg

The other 900 rounds in mid config were from today. Need to crack open another case of ammo, another case of beer, and reload all my mags for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#47]
The other 900 rounds in mid config were from today. Need to crack open another case of ammo, another case of beer, and reload all my mags for tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Griffin Optimus.

About 2k 9mm via pistol
About 50 6.5 creedmoor

Sounds like a hell of a good time
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#48]
So at what point of erosion is replacement necessary? What if it completely erodes? Is catastrophic failure imminent?

How much junk can actually accumulate in the can before it loses a noticable amount of performance?

How much weight gain would that equate to on a typical (standard size) 5.56 can?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:10:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#49]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:
So at what point of erosion is replacement necessary? What if it completely erodes? Is catastrophic failure imminent?

How much junk can actually accumulate in the can before it loses a noticable amount of performance?

How much weight gain would that equate to on a typical (standard size) 5.56 can?
View Quote
As far as your second two questions:

All your questions depend on the design of the can itself and could only be answered on a can by can basis, if at all. Internal volume, baffle design, etc.

You would have to know how much of the theoretical buildup would be lead and how much would be carbon. Without knowing that you can't know weight vs. volume which mean you cant know at what weight sound performance will degrade.

Eta: not sure what the part in red is supposed to mean. What does "completely erodes" mean"?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

View Quote
I would worry about uneven erosion possibly upsetting the bullet due to turbulence, which might eventually affect accuracy or lead to a baffle strike.

I think you would need to severely erode more than one baffle before you notice a significant change in performance, but I am not an expert by any means.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top