Page / 102
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By unclemoak:
AEM5 flush fit to a Larue gooseneck

https://i.imgur.com/jrqWAwK.jpg
View Quote

Always wondered if that would work....thanks that looks awesome.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
They popped up sometime yesterday evening. I snagged one and by the morning the listing was taken down.

@unclemoak thanks for taking the time to get these done! I've searched high and low for one of these, and almost parted mine out because I thought it would never come to fruition. After profile and chop I can officially call mine finished!
View Quote

The link that was active wasn't for the masses, only a small list of pre-orders that Rail Scales collected over a year ago.

Those that decided to order one without being on the list, got their orders canceled. The balance of collars will be sold to the masses next week.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]

The link that was active wasn't for the masses, only a small list of pre-orders that Rail Scales collected over a year ago.

Those that decided to order one without being on the list, got their orders canceled. The balance of collars will be sold to the masses next week.
View Quote

Cool, thanks Dave.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Even dwilson can't resist the "limited drop hype beast" business model that is taking over..
(That's a joke). Looking forward to getting one of these.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Well..... Shit

Thought I was on the ball!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got all these assembled.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]

https://i.imgur.com/mOLZtfo.jpg
View Quote

Does that mean you don't have to cancel my order and just sit on it until next week?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

You doing another run of these or one time thing?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

You doing another run of these or one time thing?
View Quote

One time deal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone need an AEM5?
View Quote

Lol wow
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone need an AEM5?
View Quote

Doesn't even include the brake and collar. What a chump. I'm all for flipping stuff for a little profit but that's redic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Doesn't even include the brake and collar. What a chump. I'm all for flipping stuff for a little profit but that's redic.
View Quote
Those are joke bids right?!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Reiko:
Those are joke bids right?!
View Quote

Lots of wealthy people on Gunbroker. The few times I’ve sold items on there for way over MSRP, every time it was a doctor buying the item.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Anyone need an AEM5?

Well, the guy selling did not set the price.  This guy has how many bids and 6 days left to go?  The one thing about gunbroker:  It is reflective of the true market.  Hate to say it, but nothing is more pure than a willing buyer and a willing seller.  But, (echo that comment), WOW !!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:

Well, the guy selling did not set the price.  This guy has how many bids and 6 days left to go?  The one thing about gunbroker:  It is reflective of the true market.  Hate to say it, but nothing is more pure than a willing buyer and a willing seller.  But, (echo that comment), WOW !!
View Quote

Yea I didn't read it fully. Looks like TungODung really wants that thing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
ima need two collars.  one for a new Colt 14.5" M4 SOCOM....
and another for a rare mint 16" factory Colt 16" SOCOM.
have an original OpsInc model 12 and its coupler but no collar.
will these work?
any still available?  
thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

ima need two collars.  one for a new Colt 14.5" M4 SOCOM....
and another for a rare mint 16" factory Colt 16" SOCOM.
have an original OpsInc model 12 and its coupler but no collar.
will these work?
any still available?  
thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

So where can these be found at?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Yea I didn't read it fully. Looks like TungODung really wants that thing.
View Quote

So, I am always suspcious as well.  That guy, no auction history.  Smells like a welch waiting to happen.  The smart sellers tell these guys with 0 rating that they have to qualify first.

TungODung    NR

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:

So, I am always suspcious as well.  That guy, no auction history.  Smells like a welch waiting to happen.  The smart sellers tell these guys with 0 rating that they have to qualify first.

TungODung    NR

View Quote

Or he is shilling. 3 bids in a row. Sketchy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Pretty bad ass for those guys going for that legit late 70s early 80s commando carbine look.  I can't lie kinda tempted to snag one myself if any extras were available.   I had Ron cut me a custom collar for my 12.5 upper but I could be tempted to do another 12.5 barrel with an A1 receiver instead of another flat top.  I like the idea of a "Gordon" carbine.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:

Pretty bad ass for those guys going for that legit late 70s early 80s commando carbine look.  I can't lie kinda tempted to snag one myself if any extras were available.   I had Ron cut me a custom collar for my 12.5 upper but I could be tempted to do another 12.5 barrel with an A1 receiver instead of another flat top.  I like the idea of a "Gordon" carbine.

View Quote

Link
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:

View Quote

Check with unclemoak about barrel dimensions with that collar.

12.5" is too short.

uxb
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By uxb:

Check with unclemoak about barrel dimensions with that collar.

12.5" is too short.

uxb
View Quote

uxb is correct, the 3 piece collar requires a ~12.7" barrel, I say roughly because the OAL is determined by how close to the FSB you can get the collar to sit (this varies by FSB casting/forging) then the OAL is set from the front of the collar to the muzzle. They are in the 12.7" range, but can vary up to 0.02" longer or shorter.

It's best to start with a 14.5" or 16" barrel and cut it down to length.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#26]

uxb is correct, the 3 piece collar requires a ~12.7" barrel, I say roughly because the OAL is determined by how close to the FSB you can get the collar to sit (this varies by FSB casting/forging) then the OAL is set from the front of the collar to the muzzle. They are in the 12.7" range, but can vary up to 0.02" longer or shorter.

View Quote

Thanks for sharing this. Good information to have and allows me to source a barrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Gotcha.

Thanks for clarifying
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:31:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DackJaniels] [#28]
Turns out a friend of a friend has an AEM5 and let me try it on my build and with a crush washer it wasn’t even hitting the collar. Without the crush washer I got like 14? turns I think? This is on my 16” Douglas with the appropriate contour for AEM5 but I’m not sure if it’s the collar or what?

ETA: I’be been up too late and had a four hour drive and just got home. I’m guessing I’m an idiot and just need a shim about half the size of the crush washer don’t I? Leaving my stupidity up

ETA #2: if I time the hider correctly, can I loctite/rockset it without a spacer? The hider only goes about 15-30° past where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DackJaniels:
Turns out a friend of a friend has an AEM5 and let me try it on my build and with a crush washer it wasn’t even hitting the collar. Without the crush washer I got like 14? turns I think? This is on my 16” Douglas with the appropriate contour for AEM5 but I’m not sure if it’s the collar or what?

ETA: I’be been up too late and had a four hour drive and just got home. I’m guessing I’m an idiot and just need a shim about half the size of the crush washer don’t I? Leaving my stupidity up
View Quote

Sounds like your collar has too much set back. Could have been a custom collar. Did you buy new or used?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Sounds like your collar has too much set back. Could have been a custom collar. Did you buy new or used?
View Quote

Barrel was bought used, I tried two different short collars
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Sounds like your step is too far back then. You would need the opposite of a shim on the muzzle. Need to bring the collar closer to the brake.

Ron might have custom collars lying around. We all know he is busy as hell but it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Take a ruler or even better a set of calipers and measure from the muzzle to the shoulder where the collar stops. It should be 2.4".

With the collar installed, it should be 2.5" from the muzzle to the beginning of the taper. This is the easiest way to figure out if your problem is the barrel or the collar.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Dave, when are you going to start turning collars?  At this point I'd bet Ron would be ecstatic to lighten his load and at some point @bigbore is going to retire.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Take a ruler or even better a set of calipers and measure from the muzzle to the shoulder where the collar stops. It should be 2.4".

With the collar installed, it should be 2.5" from the muzzle to the beginning of the taper. This is the easiest way to figure out if your problem is the barrel or the collar.

View Quote

Just measured from tip of muzzle to taper was 2.75”. Guessing this will require a custom collar. Is it best to email or call Ron for these things?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Just measured from tip of muzzle to taper was 2.75”. Guessing this will require a custom collar. Is it best to email or call Ron for these things?
View Quote

You need calipers that measure to 1/1000 of an inch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

"Custom Collars" is a bottomless pit of hassle.  Im pretty sure Ron stopped doing custom collars.   8 out of 10 people cant use calipers and when they do fit based on customer info, there is no guarantee it will be straight.
The biggest problem is the abundance of shitty barrels people love to buy anymore that have no consistency.  You can make a collar that is concentric to the barrel, but  when the bore is off center it's still no good.   The only sure way to do it is to contour the barrel concentric the length you need the collar and make a collar that fits that contour and stops on that shoulder.  

The BEST thing to do to mount an AE can is buy a barrel that is too long.   Then have the threads and contour cut concentric to the bore for use with a custom made collar for that barrel.
View Quote

I share the same sentiment.

You'd be surprised how all over the place barrels are. I just had an "M4" profile barrel that was one dimension in front of the M203 cut and significantly smaller behind the cut
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I still try and do specials. It's easy to do but I have to try and do it on Sundays if I have a machine open.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I love calling Ron for collars for barrels that are all out of whack.  He tries so politely to be sure that the barrel is truly all messed up as opposed to me just being an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DackJaniels] [#40]
Originally Posted By k31user:
I still try and do specials. It's easy to do but I have to try and do it on Sundays if I have a machine open.
View Quote

Ron would it be best/possible to just send the barrel to you to get proper measurements? I wouldn’t want to take a Sunday from you. If possible I wouldn’t care how long you had to hold onto it, I’m a get it right the first time kinda guy.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Ron would it be best/possible to just send the barrel to you to get proper measurements? I wouldn’t want to take a Sunday from you. If possible I wouldn’t care how long you had to hold onto it, I’m a get it right the first time kinda guy.

View Quote

Really not necessary. Just get quality calipers from Home Depot and do the 3 measures. If your measurements are on point the collar will work fine. Been there done that with Ron and giving him poor measurements. He is super helpful, just use quality calipers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Really not necessary. Just get quality calipers from Home Depot and do the 3 measures. If your measurements are on point the collar will work fine. Been there done that with Ron and giving him poor measurements. He is super helpful, just use quality calipers.
View Quote

yes, this
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Is 2.5 turns with an AEM5 good enough?  I know more is desirable.  It's on a CLE barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Is 2.5 turns with an AEM5 good enough?  I know more is desirable.  It's on a CLE barrel.
View Quote

I have a collar that will correct that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Definitely take Ron up on his collar offer. That is disappointing to have such poor contouring coming from CLE.  Wonder if they are having labor issues.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

"Custom Collars" is a bottomless pit of hassle.  Im pretty sure Ron stopped doing custom collars.   8 out of 10 people cant use calipers and when they do fit based on customer info, there is no guarantee it will be straight.
The biggest problem is the abundance of shitty barrels people love to buy anymore that have no consistency.  You can make a collar that is concentric to the barrel, but  when the bore is off center it's still no good.   The only sure way to do it is to contour the barrel concentric the length you need the collar and make a collar that fits that contour and stops on that shoulder.  

The BEST thing to do to mount an AE can is buy a barrel that is too long.   Then have the threads and contour cut concentric to the bore for use with a custom made collar for that barrel.
View Quote

When your that 2 out of 10 people that can read a caliper don't use a shitty one from Harbor Freight.  Learned that lesson.  Fortunately after using a micrometer which is a better tool anyway Ron was able to make me a second collar that fit like a glove.  I'd agree with you that having a custom cut collar and barrel chopped down together from a reputable shop is the best approach.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

That is way off spec.  Something is not right.  CLE knows how to turn an SPR profile.  You have something on that is not quite right.   Maybe your CLE barrel is not SPR profile ?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Most likely 2.2" to the step. That would make it 5 turns too  short. 2.2" to 2.3" is common. Old military screw up
that keeps getting copied.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#50]
It doesn't help that the steps on a lot of barrels these days are super small, resulting in a lot more effort required for a collar that will fit properly even if the bore is concentric enough to the exterior contour.

There was a long period where I wondered if the juice was worth the squeeze in setup for these, but after a decade and a half of ownership I think the reduced OAL, backpressure, and accuracy results are worth it.   I'm on my 4th and 5th barrel and collar setups.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top