Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 101
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Visited the AEM5 in the clink today. She looks so black and shiny in the pics but is flat and dark grey in person. No  knurling.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:50:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbore:

No problem, the AEM5 can be ordered in .30 flavor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SaturationTech:

While not a total deal breaker, I'd like the build to have the 12th model style break and collar.  

Perfect!

I'll reach out to you next week when I'm back in town; my 6.5 Grendel Mk 12 Mod-H upper is set to be delivered from you tomorrow and I really want a can for it.  I hope I can get a chance to shoot it Thursday morning before I head to the airport.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SaturationTech:

While not a total deal breaker, I'd like the build to have the 12th model style break and collar.  

Perfect! Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]

AEM5 will NOT fit on a 7.5" barrel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Izhevsk54r:
I know I asked about a gov profile barrel, but all I need is that spikes tapered gas block and I can run an AEM4 on a 7.5"? Will it also work for the aem5?

AEM5 will NOT fit on a 7.5" barrel.

but the aem4 is gtg?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]
What would the benefit be of going with a .30 AEM5 over the AE30?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:33:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#8]

Originally Posted By KavonTN:

View Quote

Muzzle brake when not using the suppressor.

I don't have the specs in front of me, but probably less weight also.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:44:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
View Quote

Because the guy is building a308 MK12 type rifle. .30 AEM5 would make his build a close match to what he wants over using a AE30.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I know I asked about a gov profile barrel, but all I need is that spikes tapered gas block and I can run an AEM4 on a 7.5"? Will it also work for the aem5?

edit: and a compatible muzzle device obviously
View Quote

Yes for the AEM4/AEM2 but NO for the AEM5 the spacing is longer. The AEM5 does not work with any pre-made barrel SBR lengths + that gas block. You need to use a profiled barrel with collar, or the AEM5 to M4 adaptor collar on a 12.5" or larger barrel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:12:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#12]
I have some odd Ops Inc/Allen Engineering setups with mixed collars and brakes that I figure I would share.

Maybe this will help some people break into these cans instead of buying QD cans over them...

Here's three primary setups. From top to bottom:

Setup 1: 16" BA barrel profiled for an Ops Inc 12th/AEM5 with MK12 'long' collar and A1 flash hider (AEM3 spacing w/ adapter)
Setup 2: 12.5" BA barrel gov profile using a Spike's Tactical LRS collar against the gov profile shelf and a Spike's Tactical Dynacomp HVS brake making AEM3 spacing
Setup 3: 10.5" BA barrel gov profile using a Spike's Tactical tapered LPGB for suppressors and a Spike's Tactical Dynacomp HVS brake making AEM3 spacing

None of these barrels needed any modification what-so-ever and worked out of the box with brake and collar setups.

Here are the individual setups and adapters used.

Ops Inc 12th Model with setup 1:

AEM3 with 12th model to 13th model slide-over-barrel spacer adapter:

Comparison with Ops 12th:

AEM3 with Setup 2:

Ops Inc M4-S with Setup 3:

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
I have some odd Ops Inc/Allen Engineering setups with mixed collars and brakes that I figure I would share.

Maybe this will help some people break into these cans instead of buying QD cans over them...

SNIP
View Quote

Man, that is an awesome collection!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goloud] [#14]
Very cool. What's the OAL of the M4-S on the 10.5" bbl? Maybe 12.5"? And how does it sound?

Here's three primary setups. From top to  BA barrel profiled for an Ops Inc 12th/AEM5 with MK12 'long' collar and A1 flash hider (AEM3 spacing w/ adapter)
Setup 2: 12.5" BA barrel gov profile using a Spike's Tactical LRS collar against the gov profile shelf and a Spike's Tactical Dynacomp HVS brake making AEM3 spacing
Setup 3: 10.5" BA barrel gov profile using a Spike's Tactical tapered LPGB for suppressors and a Spike's Tactical Dynacomp HVS brake making AEM3 spacing

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By goloud:
Very cool. What's the OAL of the M4-S on the 10.5" bbl? Maybe 12.5"? And how does it sound?

View All Quotes

Here's three primary setups. From top to  BA barrel profiled for an Ops Inc 12th/AEM5 with MK12 'long' collar and A1 flash hider (AEM3 spacing w/ adapter)

How do you want me to measure it? Barrel length, or entire rifle length? Stock collapsed if so?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:03:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goloud] [#16]
Yeah. Sorry. I meant barrel length.  

Better way to ask: how much more length over 10.5"?

How do you want me to measure it? Barrel length, or entire rifle length? Stock collapsed if so?
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

~1"

Here is the specs from Ops inc, but the can isn't made by Ron anymore though I'm sure he COULD make one. They were $250 when they were made for OPS:

http://www.opsinc.us/suppressors/M4-S.html

I got the last one from ADCO in 2013.

It basically takes all of the bite off of the 5.56 round just without much suppression of sound. There is zero muzzle rise, recoil, and concussion just like a larger suppressor but with a minimal reduction in DB due to only having two baffles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JAR-SPR] [#18]
Help me with my math here.

Here's the setup:

AEM5 or AE22 on a barrel with a A2 FSB with a bayo lug using the M4 AEM5 collar:

What's the minimum barrel length?

And if I decide to use the short SPR collar instead, where would the SPR step need to be?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you. Awesome setup.

~1"

Here is the specs from Ops inc, but the can isn't made by Ron anymore though I'm sure he COULD make one. They were $250 when they were made for OPS:

It basically takes all of the bite off of the 5.56 round just without much suppression of sound. There is zero muzzle rise, recoil, and concussion just like a larger suppressor but with a minimal reduction in DB due to only having two baffles.
View All Quotes

~1"

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:57:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:03:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#21]

Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

Here's the setup:

AEM5 or AE22 on a barrel with a A2 FSB with a bayo lug using the M4 AEM5 collar:

And if I decide to use the short SPR collar instead, where would the SPR step need to be?

Thanks
View Quote

I don't have the "short" collar, but I think they are exactly the same? One just has less material on the back.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#22]

12.5"

The SPR collar is for barrels with the SPR contour. The suppressor still requires the same amount of barrel length to install.
http://www.aesuppressors.com/images/sprdrawing.jpg
View All Quotes

Here's the setup:

12.5"

The SPR collar is for barrels with the SPR contour. The suppressor still requires the same amount of barrel length to install.
http://www.aesuppressors.com/images/sprdrawing.jpg

Thanks!

What's the difference between the "short" and "long" SPR collar?

Now if I did have that SPR contour on a 12.5" barrel, what I'm looking for is to have the collar right up against the gas block. Would there be a difference in barrel length depending on which SPR collar is used?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

I don't have the "short" collar, but I think they are exactly the same? One just has less material on the back.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Here's the setup:

Thanks

It's really the material on the back that is concerning me in how it might determine my overall barrel length since I want the collar sitting right up against the gas block.

And, unfortunately, I can't use the Spike's tapered gas block in this setup.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Mattyvac,

Can you share some info on your rail length? I have a 16" URG w/ URX 3.1 and want to know if an AEM4 will fit. As well as a 12.5" URG that I'm currently peicing together and want to run an AEM2 on. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By EODcrawler:

Mattyvac,

Can you share some info on your rail length? I have a 16" URG w/ URX 3.1 and want to know if an AEM4 will fit. As well as a 12.5" URG that I'm currently peicing together and want to run an AEM2 on. Thanks in advance.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EODcrawler:

Mattyvac,

Here is a photo with collar spacing lengths...you can measure from the front of your barrel. These apply to profiled barrels as well as adapter collars:

My 16" SPR above is a 16" barrel with URXIII 12.5" 'setup 1'. The AEM5 fits just fine as you can see with a bit to spare, so the AEm2/AEm3 etc will fit with even more room to spare.

If you have a 12.5" barrel like my 'setup 2' that's how it will look like...that's an AEM3 can on there. The rail is an SLR rifleworks 10" rail so basically if you want the rail to butt up against an AEM3/AEM2 like mine does you need to get an exact measurement spec from the manufacturer of the rail because companies are usually .2-.5" off of their stated lengths plus or minus.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok, new idea. Want to build a 733 SOF clone. Is the ae30 the closest in dimension to the 3rd model and does anyone know if the ballistic advantage 11.5 gov profile barrel is the correct dimensions for the collar?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:22:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Izhevsk54r] [#27]
Double tap
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:40:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JAR-SPR] [#28]
Ok new idea. Want to build a colt 733 SOF clone. Is the ae30 the closest to the old 3rd model in terms of dimensions and does anyone know if the ballistic advantage 11.5 gov profile barrel is the correct dimensions for the collar?
View Quote

11.5" barrel won't allow for an AE30 to mount properly, even if you remove the bayonet lug. You need at least 2.5" of barrel for AE30/AE22/AEM5.

Original 3rd models for 5.56 actually reflex over the barrel 4".
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#29]

11.5" barrel won't allow for an AE30 to mount properly, even if you remove the bayonet lug. You need at least 2.5" of barrel for AE30/AE22/AEM5.

View All Quotes
Ok new idea. Want to build a colt 733 SOF clone. Is the ae30 the closest to the old 3rd model in terms of dimensions and does anyone know if the ballistic advantage 11.5 gov profile barrel is the correct dimensions for the collar?

So 3rd model equipped rifles where actually 14.5"?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Is the spacer that allows use of 14th, 15th and 16th on 12th mounts just as solid?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
OK, i'm no closer to figuring this thing out. Will the collar adapter extender allow you to use any barrel regardless of contour? Alternatively, will any gov't contour barrel take the appropriate collar for the aem4 or any of the shorter cans?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]
OK, i'm no closer to figuring this thing out. Will the collar adapter extender allow you to use any barrel regardless of contour? Alternatively, will any gov't contour barrel take the appropriate collar for the aem4 or any of the shorter cans?
View Quote

As far as I know, collar adapter is not for AE30/AE22/AEM5. Minimum barrel length for AE30AE22/AEM5 is 12.5" if using an A2 FSB but it will require a custom collar if you keep the bayonet lug.

Gov't contour--as in the 0.7" x 0.7" step at the shouler of the muzzle? Should be able to take the any of the AEM2/AEM3/AEM4 collars with the exception of 10.5" barrels with A2 FSB's and 7.5" barrels. 11.5" barrels will likely need to have bayonet lug removed to fit AEM2/AEM3/AEM4 collars if it has the 0.7" x 0.7" steps at the shoulder of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Izhevsk54r] [#34]
I know I'm going round and round with the dumb questions, but i'd need this barrel and I could in theory run any of the ops inc/AE cans?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#36]
My AEM5 Form 3 just cleared and should be here Friday.

<------ grinning like an idiot

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Kinda want to use my AEM5 and build one of these, even though this isn't an AEM5:

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone know where to get a M4-S?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
AEM5 came in, and I got a conjugal visit (now I understand what they felt like in Avatar).

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#40]
That thing is super long
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By rtran:
That thing is super long
View Quote

. . . and super quiet!
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Saladman:
Anyone know where to get a M4-S?
View Quote

In my safe

Also an AEM3:

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

. . . and super quiet!
View All Quotes
That thing is super long

. . . and super quiet!

Haha not worth the trade off.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
That thing is super long

. . . and super quiet!

Thanks for the solid contribution.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
That thing is super long

. . . and super quiet!

mission drives the gear
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:55:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm glad I found this thread as I had some questions about the AE suppressors. The build I am planning is either a centurion arms 12.5in barrel with fsb and the c4 cutout rail or a 12.5in ca barrel with 9.5 cmr rail. Would these setups be gtg or would additional work be required. If they need any work I would just substitute a DD 12.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#48]
That thing is super long
View Quote

only adds about 5 inches to overall length
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Is there an upper limit for how many turns are too much on the AEM5? I got 10 full turns
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Is there an upper limit for how many turns are too much on the AEM5? I got 10 full turns
View Quote

um, you may want to contact the manufacturer to be sure but I think 6-8 turns is ideal and 10 turns you may be pushing the muzzle device againt the first baffle.

When I first got mine I only got 2.5 turns until tightened which was crane spec for fast attach requirement.  I asked Ron about it and he recommended at least 6 turns so he made me a custom collar.

depending, you may just have to use a shim instead of a crush washer, but I'm not sure what you all you have there.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top