Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#1]
Never actually took notice, but looks like I'm at about 7 turns for my AEM5.

EDIT: for the page ownage -      

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbore:

Youre fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:
Is there an upper limit for how many turns are too much on the AEM5? I got 10 full turns

Youre fine.

Thank you sir.

You guys profiled the barrel and made the collar, so I figured it was good to go.

As an aside, how did you first get involved with Ops/become interested in their cans?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]

As an aside, how did you first get involved with Ops/become interested in their cans?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By k31user:

View All Quotes

Ron is a very convincing man
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cwgibson78:
I'm glad I found this thread as I had some questions about the AE suppressors. The build I am planning is either a centurion arms 12.5in barrel with fsb and the c4 cutout rail or a 12.5in ca barrel with 9.5 cmr rail. Would these setups be gtg or would additional work be required. If they need any work I would just substitute a DD 12.5 barrel.
View Quote

You can use a 12.5" FSP barrel with a FSP rail and still be OK. You just need the M4 adaptor collar to make it work.

You can also use a 12.5" non-FSP barrel with a LPGB and up to a 10" rail with the M4 adaptor collar and it will also work.

Make sure whatever barrel you get has the 11/16" contour step on the tip of it behind the FH threads for the collar to work.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Nice to see you here Ron.  I hope Allen Engineering is going gangbusters.  I love my AE30 and cant wait for my AEM5 to clear.  Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#9]

We'll just leave it at that. No one would believe half the shit involved in that process over the last 10 yrs.
View All Quotes

We'll just leave it at that. No one would believe half the shit involved in that process over the last 10 yrs.

Haha.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

You can use a 12.5" FSP barrel with a FSP rail and still be OK. You just need the M4 adaptor collar to make it work.

You can also use a 12.5" non-FSP barrel with a LPGB and up to a 10" rail with the M4 adaptor collar and it will also work.

Make sure whatever barrel you get has the 11/16" contour step on the tip of it behind the FH threads for the collar to work.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cwgibson78:
I'm glad I found this thread as I had some questions about the AE suppressors. The build I am planning is either a centurion arms 12.5in barrel with fsb and the c4 cutout rail or a 12.5in ca barrel with 9.5 cmr rail. Would these setups be gtg or would additional work be required. If they need any work I would just substitute a DD 12.5 barrel.

Thanks for the help, I have an email in to Centurion Arms to find out exactly what their numbers are at the threads but I'm pretty sure it is .680 so I think I am good. Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Ops Inc 12th Model

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Awesome! I'm doing the same thing, just with a Urx ii.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:10:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swaco999] [#13]
Allen Engineering for me.
13 inch barrel max loads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJb2ayYf0Tk
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Ron or Bigbore,

Is this really an improvement?

"Second, the barrel has the Mk 12 barrel collar shoulder displaced rearward 0.250", providing three more complete rotations of the suppressor onto the muzzle device, a shortcoming of the original design."
MSTN SPR barrel
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:
Ron or Bigbore,

"Second, the barrel has the Mk 12 barrel collar shoulder displaced rearward 0.250", providing three more complete rotations of the suppressor onto the muzzle device, a shortcoming of the original design."
MSTN SPR barrel
View Quote

The blast/reflex chamber size remains the same and all that does is place the OPS/AE brake closer to the first baffle. I'm not sure how that helps at all...

Besides this fact, $510 for that barrel is asinine. You can get an 18" SPR SS barrel from Ballistic Advantage for $180 all day long.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]

The blast/reflex chamber size remains the same and all that does is place the OPS/AE brake closer to the first baffle. I'm not sure how that helps at all...

Besides this fact, $510 for that barrel is asinine. You can get an 18" SPR SS barrel from Ballistic Advantage for $180 all day long.
View All Quotes
Ron or Bigbore,

MSTN SPR barrel

It also can cause the forward threads to incur into the blast chamber. If the threads get coated with carbon, it's a bear to back out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Kinda want to get a .223 bolt gun to use with my AEM5 - wonder how much fun that would be?

I've always felt I had to get at least something in .308 for a bolt gun to be fun, but I imagine .223 bolts are just as fun, especially when suppressed?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Sadly my AEM5 and Mk12 are in different states so I cant contribute to this thread.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
Kinda want to get a .223 bolt gun to use with my AEM5 - wonder how much fun that would be?

I've always felt I had to get at least something in .308 for a bolt gun to be fun, but I imagine .223 bolts are just as fun, especially when suppressed?
View Quote

Probably be an awesome package. Would be fun to load some subs for it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Canadian contract flash hider for 12th Model brake:

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t567/homeinvader/CF35B710-8C4F-423B-9D1B-4A893BC153CE_zpsc4a7qhlq.jpg

This looks like a thread protector that doubles as a flash suppressor...  Are these available?  I looked on the Smith website but could not find them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:20:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BurtSaun1049] [#21]
Originally Posted By rust4brains:

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t567/homeinvader/CF35B710-8C4F-423B-9D1B-4A893BC153CE_zpsc4a7qhlq.jpg

This looks like a thread protector that doubles as a flash suppressor...  Are these available?  I looked on the Smith website but could not find them.
View Quote

Check Adco. On my phone right now, but I think they have them.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/productLine_Bq.cfm

Nvm. Couldn't see the pic from my phone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
How are you liking that scope? Tempted to pick one up.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j352/javaman85/P1010439_zps5jq1gnjk.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By rgb:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rgb:

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j352/javaman85/P1010439_zps5jq1gnjk.jpg

It's a great scope.

Definitely recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

This thingy has no threads on the outside of it?

I was under the impression that this was the CA contract vortex FH:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/965652/smith-enterprise-vortex-flash-hider-1-2-28-thread-with-m22x10-outside-thread-for-ops-inc-suppressor-ar-15-matte
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Ron or Bigbore,

MSTN SPR barrel

Actually, the barrel contour was changed when we started selling suppressors to the civilian market, but collars are available for pretty much any diameter, step length combination as long as there is enough room. M4 style suppressors need about 2.2" from the bare muzzle to the first rearward obstruction(gas block, front sight, etc.). AEM5's need around 2.7" minimum.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Homeinvader] [#26]

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/965652/smith-enterprise-vortex-flash-hider-1-2-28-thread-with-m22x10-outside-thread-for-ops-inc-suppressor-ar-15-matte
View All Quotes

It's not a Vortex, but would probably thread on to the Vortex or any other OPS compatible muzzle device. This was made at the request of CA forces to give them some degree of flash suppression while still using the 12th Model brake. Yes, it threads onto the 12th model brake just like the thread protector, but would also work on the OPS INC/AE A2 flash hider, though this would be redundant.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want to expand your collection, I have AEM5-30 suppressors in stock now.
View Quote

I'd love to throw a AEM30 on Mk12 ModMH .308...  

I have the AE brake but need a custom locating collar...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Why didn't I know this 8 months ago?? Guess I'll have to buy another suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Short - Tall

Allen Engineering AEM2 - Ops Inc 15th - Ops Inc 12th (22cal) - Ops Inc 12th (30cal)

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Will this now be a line item or is this just a batch? Don't have the cash now but would love to get one in the future.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By Homeinvader:

It's not a Vortex, but would probably thread on to the Vortex or any other OPS compatible muzzle device. This was made at the request of CA forces to give them some degree of flash suppression while still using the 12th Model brake. Yes, it threads onto the 12th model brake just like the thread protector, but would also work on the OPS INC/AE A2 flash hider, though this would be redundant.

Bought it from Ron many years ago, but never saw them again.
View All Quotes

....Ron?  Ron Allen?  k31?  Sir?  Do you have any of these available?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#34]

They are not legal in the U.S.
View All Quotes

....Ron?  Ron Allen?  k31?  Sir?  Do you have any of these available?

Could you explain why this is? It seems it would fall in lines with the "blast jackets" that some companies are now selling. Just looking for education.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#35]
^^ How's that?
Curious
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Some day "blast jackets" may be considered a no-no by the NFA branch.

The OPS INC Canadian flash hider/blast jacket  had a cap on the end. When installed over a brake, you had a small hollow device on the end of the muzzle, with 2 baffles.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By west2746:

Could you explain why this is? It seems it would fall in lines with the "blast jackets" that some companies are now selling. Just looking for education.

Some day "blast jackets" may be considered a no-no by the NFA branch.

The OPS INC Canadian flash hider/blast jacket  had a cap on the end. When installed over a brake, you had a small hollow device on the end of the muzzle, with 2 baffles.

well I'll be...
ATF jerks
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By moose-hunter:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k149/supermoto68/mk12%20mod%20dan_zpsfwsdmpt2.jpg

View All Quotes

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k149/supermoto68/mk12%20mod%20dan_zpsfwsdmpt2.jpg

I'd like to avoid breaking down the gun...  Any chance for a custom collar for my (hopefully) future suppressor purchase?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#40]

The barrel needs to be removed so it can be contoured.
View All Quotes

I'd like to avoid breaking down the gun...  Any chance for a custom collar for my (hopefully) future suppressor purchase?

The barrel needs to be removed so it can be contoured.

If it can't be avoided, then it needs to be done.  I submitted a couple questions through your website.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Thank you explaining.

R4B
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#43]
What is everyone using for a suppressor case for the AEM-5?  I got mine yesterday and need it now.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:
What is everyone using for a suppressor case for the AEM-5?  I got mine yesterday and need it now.

Dan
View Quote

Why do you need a case for a suppressor?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AGR1279:

Dan

I'm not to sure of keeping it on the gun all the time and want a place to keep it safe.  That's it.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Great thread for a great product.  I only have the AEM5 (for now) but hopefully pick up another one this fall.

ADCO built SPR with AEM5

HOLLAND and ADCO converted 12.5 BCM  SS upper fitted for the AEM5

The 12.5 just came this week, I am excited to get to the range this weekend and see how it handles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By KOBK:
Great thread for a great product.  I only have the AEM5 (for now) but hopefully pick up another one this fall.

ADCO built SPR with AEM5
<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/nashvillito/media/DSCF3118_zpshvqo4a1u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/nashvillito/DSCF3118_zpshvqo4a1u.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/nashvillito/media/DSCF3144_zpsmlxs43et.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/nashvillito/DSCF3144_zpsmlxs43et.jpg</a>

The 12.5 just came this week, I am excited to get to the range this weekend and see how it handles.
View Quote

As usual, great collection. Look forward to hearing the range report on that shorty
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#48]

As usual, great collection. Look forward to hearing the range report on that shorty
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KOBK:

ADCO built SPR with AEM5
<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/nashvillito/media/DSCF3118_zpshvqo4a1u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/nashvillito/DSCF3118_zpshvqo4a1u.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/nashvillito/media/DSCF3144_zpsmlxs43et.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/nashvillito/DSCF3144_zpsmlxs43et.jpg</a>

It sounds just like the MK12 but IMO is not a good setup. Carbines are better suited for the shorter suppressors. I had an 11" and 12" with my 12th model before I diversified and it was unwieldly, front-heavy, and has lots of kick and blowback.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:07:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGR1279] [#49]
Here is mine.  Very sweet shooting.  Thanks Neal.  Re added pictures due to photo buckets fuck you guy......

Dan
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow this might be my new favorite thread.

Here is my aem5. 22 cal sitting on my new project.

Retro by Kyle Plante, on Flickr

On my Mod0

House by Kyle Plante, on Flickr

On my ModH

12s by Kyle Plante, on Flickr

Mini Mod H by Kyle Plante, on Flickr

I loooove this can!
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top