Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright i've looked through here and havent seen anything about military members mentioned. I'm looking to buy a can for my 22 here soon.  I'm stationed in ND, what if i get stationed in another state where they are illegal to own? Do any states make acceptances for active duty military that are being re-located to there? Or would i just have to sell/get rid of the can in state of purchase, or what?
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By BiggEZ:

Alright i've looked through here and havent seen anything about military members mentioned. I'm looking to buy a can for my 22 here soon. I'm stationed in ND, what if i get stationed in another state where they are illegal to own? Do any states make acceptances for active duty military that are being re-located to there? Or would i just have to sell/get rid of the can in state of purchase, or what?

sell/get rid of can, or keep it in an NFA legal state.

Link Posted: 12/11/2008 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Great thread!!! All my questions answered.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
i am interested in building my own sound suppressor. i need a little help on what i need as far as BATF paperwork to do this. i live in Indiana, so i don't forsee a problem there, but do i need a Form 1 or 2 or what? i hope to just incur the $200.00 tax and my material costs since these things are so expensive ( need to save up for ammo!)
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Check the sticky a few threads down... Homemade Can
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
thx, nice scoot, BTW
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BiggEZ:
Alright i've looked through here and havent seen anything about military members mentioned. I'm looking to buy a can for my 22 here soon.  I'm stationed in ND, what if i get stationed in another state where they are illegal to own? Do any states make acceptances for active duty military that are being re-located to there? Or would i just have to sell/get rid of the can in state of purchase, or what?

rent a safe deposit box in ND and keep it there. Or if you aren't ever going back to ND, rent a safe deposit box in a "supressor friendly" neighboring state, and keep it there!
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 8:18:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alohakid] [#8]
Originally Posted By Friiguy:
What about a list of manufacturers and products with pros and cons, limitations, uses, etc.

In general something like the chart for the AR-15 manufacturers.

Great post BTW!  Ditto on a "pros & cons" list....would think the information could be beneficial in making a better buying decision, yes/no?  Reason I came to this thread, in about 3 hours going to a local gun shop to start the process of generating a trust to facilitate purchase of a suppressor for my RRA Entry Tactical, and was looking for sound suppression feedback.   I've committed to starting the process but have not finalized which suppressor to purchase...will continue to look and read.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Gentlemen
Need Help Moved From TN to NV and sent in a change of adress on my C&R but do i need to change my Form 4's for my cans, reason had a problem with a can sent it to manufacturer to be fixed now they are trying to get in touch with ATF to see if they can return it to me does any one have any help thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I design and make my own silencers on ATF form 1’s on a lathe at home.  I have a few things to add to the original post.  Some of my comments may have already been addressed.  :)

First, it does not matter what ammo is used, a decent silencer is going to reduce noise by a great deal, 20-30 decibels or a factor of 100 to 1000 times lower.  It does not matter if there are sonic booms from high powered cartridges or lots of action noise from a semi-auto or machine gun.  The loudest part of the gun is the muzzle blast.  It is truly amazing how much less noisy an AR-15 or 308 rifle is when suppressed.  Even if you still need ear plugs, it is much better having that muffler on the muzzle.

Kansas and Missouri have recently made silencers legal for civilians to own.

Shotgun silencers exist that was suitable for use with shot shells.  Take a look at http://www.bigginhill.co.uk/hush.htm and http://guns.connect.fi/rs/rifles.html .  These shotgun silencers just have a perforated tube inside to keep the shot cup closed until it exits.  From what I have heard, they are not as effective as rifle silencers.

The 1895 Nagant revolver is one (the only mass produced revolver AFAIK) that works very well with a silencer.  The cylinder moves forward to close the gap when the hammer is cocked.  The brass is longer than the cylinder and actually extends into the forcing cone of the barrel to seal the gap.  Ensure that any 1895 Nagant you buy is not converted to 32 caliber and has not had the forcing cone reamed out.  The Lee 30 carbine factory crimp die is an excellent means of crimping the mouth shut when reloading Nagant brass as the bullet is seated below the mouth and the case has a very narrow crimp.  They have the second hardest trigger pull I have ever had the displeasure of pulling, but the are cheap, $100-$200.

Silencers are much more expensive in the USA than other countries where they are not strictly controlled due to the $200 tax.  Anyone paying a $200 tax for each can wants it to last a long time; thousands of rounds.  This means the silencers for sale in the USA are built sturdy and made to work very well.  Since a good silencer is expensive to make and few people  (compared to total number of gun owners) own them, the manufacturer has to charge a high price to recoup the cost of making them.

Ranb
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
A few questions.

This scenario would use an AAC 762SD.

If I attached a quick detach on my romy AK 7.62x39, anotheron my Imbel FAL 7.62x51, and one on my AR 5.56 could I use the same suppressor for all of them? Or is that a big no no? Will I have an issue with baffle strikes switching from gun to gun? I'd like to get only 1 or 2 cans.

Second,

Are thread adaptors readily availabe for a 762 can that can attach to multiple barrell sizes?

Or should I use one can for my 762 guns and one can for 5.56 guns?

I know I know I'm trying to be cheap!!!!!!!!!!! One can at a time. This krap is expensive!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
How about what form do I need to purchase a silencer from a dealer and where do I get it?

I'm not making one.

I'm not a dealer.

I'm not moving it from me in one state to me in another.

I just want to buy one.  I want to look at the form before I go looking for the silencer.  I want to make sure I understand all that is required of me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know which states (if any) allow hunting (Ground-Hogs and Coyotes)
with a suppress weapon?

Thanks!
PITA45
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember, Illinois is NOT a suppressor friendly state.
Most Law Enforcement here are NOT well schooled in the legalities of suppressor ownership by average citizens.
Law Enforcement from state level down is NOT allowed to legally possess a suppressor.
Citizens are definately NOT allowed to possess suppressors of any kind.
Have your Ps and Qs in order and know the law if you travel through here with an any other weapon or a suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I created a post to ask this question but haven't gotten a response. Can anyone give me a brief run down on what is a piston used for in a pistol caliber suppressor? what are it's pros and cons if any. I have an AAC EVO45 pending and would just want to know other mounting options.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:42:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#16]
Originally Posted By jBoy723:
I created a post to ask this question but haven't gotten a response. Can anyone give me a brief run down on what is a piston used for in a pistol caliber suppressor?

It allows a browning action pistol to cycle with a suppresssor. Also known as Linear Inertial Device/Decoupler, Neilsen device, Linear Coupling Device, etc. The pistol is typically the threaded insert. you can change out pistons so the decoupler will work with different thread pitches.

It's a must on some pistols, and can damage others. A fixed barrel doesn't require one, but if the barrel moves (1911, Beretta 92, etc) then you'll want one.

(if there isn't a pic when i get home from work, i can take some.)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Originally Posted By jBoy723:
I created a post to ask this question but haven't gotten a response. Can anyone give me a brief run down on what is a piston used for in a pistol caliber suppressor?

It allows a browning action pistol to cycle with a suppresssor. Also known as Linear Inertial Device/Decoupler, Neilsen device, Linear Coupling Device, etc. The pistol is typically the threaded insert. you can change out pistons so the decoupler will work with different thread pitches.

It's a must on some pistols, and can damage others. A fixed barrel doesn't require one, but if the barrel moves (1911, Beretta 92, etc) then you'll want one.

(if there isn't a pic when i get home from work, i can take some.)

Thanks NAM..I have an AAC EVO45 and the primary host will be the newer HK45 and and possibly a Kimber 1911. I'm assuming that a fixed barrel is similar to what a revolver is and the two I've listed have moving barrels since the slide moves causing the barrel to move while cycling? If so, would you recommend a piston in that senario?

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
How about what form do I need to purchase a silencer from a dealer and where do I get it?

I'm not making one.
I'm not a dealer.

I just want to buy one.  I want to look at the form before I go looking for the silencer.  I want to make sure I understand all that is required of me.

This... would/could answer a lot of questions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tony_k:
To add to what chromeluv said above (and with which I agree 100%):

Most people are born with full hearing across all frequency levels, and from Day One, we begin losing it based on our exposure to unsafe sound levels. Hearing loss is cumulative and dependent entirely on our life experiences.

Unless they have lived in a bubble, no adult has 100% hearing across all frequency levels. Someone who has worked in a steel mill will have a different frequency loss than someone who worked at rock concerts, vs. someone who worked around jet engines, vs. someone whose job included cutting down trees with a chain saw....

When you have hearing loss from an overload in a particular frequency range, you lose the ability to hear sounds in that frequency range. Your hearing may be perfect on other frequency ranges, but you simply cannot perceive sounds in the range you've lost.

Now apply this as an adult listening to firearms suppressors, each of which has a different tonal range.

Suppressors from different manufacturers may have identical decibel ratings (which are measured across the entire range of human hearing) but, because each has a different "tone," the suppressor which reduces sound levels in the frequency ranges in which the observer still has complete hearing will be perceived as the most quiet.

This is easily shown when you gather a bunch of observers to listen to different suppressors, while metering the cans. When the cans meter identically, the observers will identify different cans as being "quieter" –– directly correlated to each observer's individual hearing loss profile. With identically metered cans, you will only get observer agreement when the observers have identical hearing loss profiles (which, BTW, is rare).

This is also why a can may meter "louder" yet it sounds quieter –– to you. That only means the particular test suppressor's volume and baffle design tend to be more effective in suppressing the frequencies which you can still hear the best.

The above is a PITA on a tactical basis, unless you happen to know the life experiences and hearing profile of your opponents.

And it is also worth bearing in mind a coupla other thoughts:

––Hearing damage threshholds are cumulative. A sound level may be safe for a fraction of a second, but that same level repeated over a 24-hour period can cause damage.

––Just because you cannot hear a sound does not mean it's not continuing to damage your hearing. If you "burn out" your hearing from prolonged exposure at a particular frequency, you will no longer hear that sound –– but comtinued exposure will continue to damage your eardrums and rob you of hearing ability in other frequencies.

The lessons, IMHO:

––If you want to prevent hearing loss, pay more attention to decibel ratings than to your perceptions of a suppressor's sound. And also take the time to check out the cumulative exposure issue: Individual shots, fired once every five minutes, may be safe over a three-hour period, while a Betamag dump through the same suppressor can do damage to you.

––If at all possible (i.e., in all but tactical situations), don't pass on hearing protection just because you're shooting with suppressors. Hearing loss is permanent.

HTH. YMMV.

Good Info. If your unlucky like me you have terrible hearing at age 25. I have nerve damage in both ears and I cannot hear some deep tones until 60 decibels yet I hear high pitches at 5-20 depending on the frequency.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]
How about info on how one gets the paperwork/applies for the tax stamp, etc. This thread has been pretty  informative, as I had no idea silencers were legal and so obtainable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know if anyone has gone over this before since I'm new here but how many dB does an unsuppressed M4/M16/AR15 and an AK-47 produce?

And how much of a noise reduction can you get for an M4/M16 style rifle with a 14.5in, 16in and a 20in barrel?

How well does a sound suppressor work for a standard AK-47 with a 16in barrel?
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I see several vendors that sell suppressors, other sell matching quick disconnect flash hiders for their suppressors and still more that sell a myriad of other accessories.

Reading the FAQ I haven't seen what I'm looking for so I'll ask it here.  I'd like to purchase a suppressor for an AR-15 as it would greatly reduce the report of the rifle while I'm shooting a fair amount of ammunition.  Sounds like the same reason most would like to have one, right?

Regarding having my tax stamp in hand and the suppressor engraved what is the order of events one actually goes through to get one?  If I think ABC Machining Co. makes their Hush123 to best fit my needs what do I actually do to eventually put it on my rifle?  Do I fill out the ATF form, wait for approval and my tax stamp before ordering it and having it engraved?

I think a post detailing just how easy it is and what is entailed would greatly help me and I'm sure others.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Is a suppressor gun specific or can you put it on any gun.  So if I have multiple 223 rifles can I use it on all of them or is the suppressor gun specific on the paperwork?
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#24]
A silencer is a firearm according to federal law, it has its own serial number.  It can be swapped from gun to gun.  

Some firearms have an intergal silencer permenantly attached.  This slencer could be cut off and re-attached to another gun, but I think it would require another $200 tax unless the entire barrel was removed with it and re-attached to the other gun.  There are 10/22 and buckmark barrels that are made with integral silencers that this can done to without paying another tax.

Ranb
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know why the Whisper pellet gun is legal with the suppressor? I have been told that it is becasue it is integral and is on an airgun, but I remember reading about a guy who made an airgun suppressor and went to prison. I have written to BATFE and after more than a year I don't think they are going to answer me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By calawman:

Does anyone know why the Whisper pellet gun is legal with the suppressor? I have been told that it is becasue it is integral and is on an airgun, but I remember reading about a guy who made an airgun suppressor and went to prison. I have written to BATFE and after more than a year I don't think they are going to answer me.

If the suppressor on the Whisper was removed and used on a firearm, it would be destroyed. Because of this, the ATF doesn't see it as NFA since that is only for suppressors that can be used on firearms. If someone made an airgun suppressor without taking that into consideration, then they would be in violation of the NFA without a F1.

I hope my memory serves me right!
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I am buying one while I live in Alabama but I will be moving to another state next year. What will I need to do? Do I need to inform the locals? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Make sure the state you move to allows civilians to own silencers.  The law does not require that you inform the ATF of the move.

Ranb
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranb] [#29]
double post
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By leo6223:
Originally Posted By Impact-Vector:
Can someone touch on using a 30 cal supressor on 22's and 223;s

Someone said it could be done but I dont trust anything i hear in a gunstore

It's address (somewhat) in the FAQ.  I'll add some more info to address it further but the short answer is "Yes and No"

Yes, you can use .30 cal on anything smaller than .30.  In fact, some say you get more volume out of a .30 can and will use it to supress .223 and others.

The things about .22's is they are dirty and not good in a can designed for center fire rounds.

I'll post more later.

Yes please, I was just handed this same revelation which honestly never occured to me. I only recently found out about Gemtech's Halo which would open up a whole world for me. Someone had mentioned that why not get a .30 caliber version and use it for all of my .30, 9MM & 5.56 ARs as well as the optional adaptor available for AKs (7.62 & 5.65). It's like a dream come true and one I am serious about pursuing. I think there is enough information about trying to supress .22 and I am not looking to do this at this time.

Please post or resond via IM at your conveinence. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got off the phone with the ATF.  As a Missouri (MO) resident, I already have an NFA item.  I want a suppressor.  My first resource AFCOM.  

Above it is stated that individuals may not own a suppressor.   However, anyone who has a valid FFL (includes C&R) may own a suppressor.

Link Posted: 1/20/2010 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm not making one.
I'm not a dealer.

can someone chime in on how ya go about buying one. Do you buy it online its sent to your local class 3 dealer then you send off the Form 4 and when ya get the stamp ya can go get it?
I am still confused on the how ya go about buying it....
This is a great thread but no info on how ya go about buying the suppressor. Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 3:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ryknoll3] [#33]
Originally Posted By texjames:

I'm not making one.
I'm not a dealer.

can someone chime in on how ya go about buying one. Do you buy it online its sent to your local class 3 dealer then you send off the Form 4 and when ya get the stamp ya can go get it?
This is a great thread but no info on how ya go about buying the suppressor. Thanks!

To buy a suppressor....

Find the suppressor you want. You can buy one from an online dealer or distributor like Major Malfunction or you can buy one at a local gunshop with an SOT that sells "Class III" firearms.

If you buy online you would pay the original shop for the suppressor. You find a local SOT who is willing to do the transfer for you (usually $50-100). They send their license to the shop where you bought the suppressor. That shop fills out a Form 3 to transfer the suppressor tax-free to your shop. The Form 3 is mailed to the ATF, and after approval (usually around 2-4 weeks) the suppressor is shipped to your dealer.

Once it arrives at your dealer (or if you buy something the dealer has in stock or orders for you) you go there and they fill out a Form 4 to transfer the suppressor to you.They will give you two original forms filled out and you take them down to your police department or county sheriff and have the sheriff sign off on the forms that they have no knowledge that you would be in violation of state or local laws in possessing this item. The dealer will also give you two fingerprint cards which you need to have the police fingerprint you. You will fill out a small form certifying that you are legally in the US. You attach a passport-style photo to each form, enclose a check for $200 to the ATF for the transfer fee, and send it off to Atlanta. ....and wait.

Once your form comes back approved (it will go to the dealer), you go to the gun shop and pick up your suppressor.

If your local chief/sheriff will not sign off on the form, which quite a few won't, you can set up a revokable living trust and have the suppressor transfered to the trust. This also bypasses the fingerprinting and citizenship form.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 5:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BusySquirrel] [#34]
Originally Posted By BigGeorgeC:
Originally Posted By Impact-Vector:
Can someone touch on using a 30 cal supressor on 22's and 223;s

It's address (somewhat) in the FAQ.  I'll add some more info to address it further but the short answer is "Yes and No"

Yes please, I was just handed this same revelation which honestly never occured to me. I only recently found out about Gemtech's Halo which would open up a whole world for me. Someone had mentioned that why not get a .30 caliber version and use it for all of my .30, 9MM & 5.56 ARs as well as the optional adaptor available for AKs (7.62 & 5.65). It's like a dream come true and one I am serious about pursuing.

All considerations of suppressor efficiency aside.....

Please do not try to shoot a 9mm bullet through a .30 caliber hole. Damage WILL occur, and injury or death may occur.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Also remember that the decibel scale is a "logarithmic" scale so that reducing sound from 20 to 10dB is not the same reduction of sound pressure (when dB is used to refer to sound - more correctly identified as dB SPL {sound pressure level}) as going from 130 to 120dB.
So a 30 dB reduction maybe quite significant as it refers to a suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is some math to illustrate how well a silencer can work.  X2 is unsuppressed noise level and X1 is suppressed noise level.

Intensity (dB) = 10log(X2/X1)
Sound pressure level (SPL)  (dB) = 20log(X2/X1)
Loudness (dB) = 33.22log(X2/X1)

OR

Change in intensity = 10^((X2-X1)/10)
Change in SPL = 10^((X2-X1)/20)
Change in loudness = 10^((X2-X1)/33.22)

A silencer that has a 30 decibel reduction equals 1000 times less intensity, 32 times less SPL and 8 times less loudness.

Ranb
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#37]
tell me the best way to clean a .22 can, i havent found it yet
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't read the entire thread, but suppressors are legal in KS as of 7/1/08.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 9:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jalu] [#39]
Explain in A to Z detail how to form a "revokable living trust" and use said trust, in detail, to obtain a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jalu:
Explain in A to Z detail how to form a "revokable living trust" and use said trust, in detail, to obtain a suppressor.

This will probably vary from state to state.  Check the Hometown forum for your area.  There's a sticky thread about that very issue in the MO Hometown forum (which would apply to me).
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Great thread, thanks for doing it.

Living most of my life in Calif. I didn't know that they were legal in most other states. 1st time I saw them in VA I was amazed.

I think I'd like to have 1 or 3 but then the expense... 100 PER for shipping and barrel threading, 300 plus from the dealer plus 200 tax!

I can't decide that I want 1 that much.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#42]

I am left handed and I am getting a Yankee Hill suppressor and I'm wondering about the gas blowback. I've seen the gas buster Charging handle but they say they don't work for leftys. Does anybody know from personal experience if this issue is a big deal or should I not worry about it? Also the suppressor may go on a select fire gun, would that make a difference as well?
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Can I use the same can for 7.62x39, switch to 7.62x51, and then to .300WINMAG (7.62x67 I think?)?
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Only if the can is rated for the .300Mag., due to volume/pressure.
A .308 can ought to stand up to 7.62x54 just fine, and to .300 Whisper, 7.62x39, 7.62x25, .223, .243, .260, .250 Savage, et cetera.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't know if I've posted it in this thread before, but ND allows suppressors, so it should be added to the list in the first post.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Are they legal? How do I buy one?
For the most part yes, however some states do not allow certain NFA items.  Federally you must meet the following requirements: Be at least 21 years of age, be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident alien (have a green card), have no felony convictions or domestic violence convictions, have no dishonorable discharge, not deemed mentally unstable by a competent authority.  Basically the same rules for owning a handgun.  The NFA rules/laws are posted through the BATFE website.

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ryknoll3:
Originally Posted By texjames:

I'm not making one.
I'm not a dealer.

To buy a suppressor....

Find the suppressor you want. You can buy one from an online dealer or distributor like Major Malfunction or you can buy one at a local gunshop with an SOT that sells "Class III" firearms.

If you buy online you would pay the original shop for the suppressor. You find a local SOT who is willing to do the transfer for you (usually $50-100). They send their license to the shop where you bought the suppressor. That shop fills out a Form 3 to transfer the suppressor tax-free to your shop. The Form 3 is mailed to the ATF, and after approval (usually around 2-4 weeks) the suppressor is shipped to your dealer.

Once it arrives at your dealer (or if you buy something the dealer has in stock or orders for you) you go there and they fill out a Form 4 to transfer the suppressor to you.They will give you two original forms filled out and you take them down to your police department or county sheriff and have the sheriff sign off on the forms that they have no knowledge that you would be in violation of state or local laws in possessing this item. The dealer will also give you two fingerprint cards which you need to have the police fingerprint you. You will fill out a small form certifying that you are legally in the US. You attach a passport-style photo to each form, enclose a check for $200 to the ATF for the transfer fee, and send it off to Atlanta. ....and wait.

Once your form comes back approved (it will go to the dealer), you go to the gun shop and pick up your suppressor.

If your local chief/sheriff will not sign off on the form, which quite a few won't, you can set up a revokable living trust and have the suppressor transfered to the trust. This also bypasses the fingerprinting and citizenship form.

How do you set up the trust? Lawyer up and they fill this out?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#49]
like to add that the original post should be updated. NFA items are legal in Kansas now.
 as of july 1 2008
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a gsg-5p sbr with a silencer.The weapon shoots great. add the silencer it shoots 18 in. to the left. It not a baffle  strike and its not the ammo.I put my krink can on and it shoots perfect.it possible I have a 500.00 dollar paper weight.HELP! thanks.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top