Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2002 7:28:45 AM EDT
Given the seemingly huge popularity of Glocks on this board (myself included), I have to ask - Why is it that no Special Forces type units use Glocks ?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I was always told it was because they don't have a manual safety.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it has something to do with the motto "Real men don't compromise"
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I understand, it has to do with the lack of a second strike ability...i.e., you have to rack the slide to pull the trigger again (if the gun doesn't fire).
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You mean they don't? I thought they did, I read it in a Richard Marchinko novel.

it's marcinko.... pronounced marsinko.  no flame intended.   THE BOOK WAS FICTION.   THAT MEANS NOT REAL.   that one was intended.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The German CT unit GSG-9 uses Glocks as standard issue. Many other special operations units around the world use various Glock models.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
thats becuase they have H&K MK23's to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Just because there's no NSN doesn't mean that they aren't being carried by SpecOps troops as personal weapons.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Israeli elite Counter Terror unit uses the G17

www.isayeret.com/weapons/handguns/glock/glock17.htm
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think it has something to do with the motto "Real men don't compromise"

No, I think it had something to do with them wanting a gun that wasnt going to blow up in there face.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Now why would they want to use a Glock when they have Berettas, 1911s, and Sigs to choose from?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
when my dad went to desert storm him and some of his pilot buddies set up a LEGP type of deal and bought glocks because they had ruger GP100's

besides, Glock will make mods requested by any organization so im sure if they wanted a manual safety im sure they could have gotten one.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think there actually have been a few runs of Glocks with factory safeties made at a military or law enforcement agency request

yes, that was the israeli special forces.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Duh, they use Glock 8's which are made of porcelin that can go strait throught metal detectors, carry a 100 round clip of cop killing bullets that will penetrate a meter of reinforced concrete and scare small children and animals. Duh... lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Duh, they use Glock 8's which are made of porcelin that can go strait throught metal detectors, carry a 100 round clip of cop killing bullets that will penetrate a meter of reinforced concrete and scare small children and animals. Duh... lol

have you ever worked with the israeli special forces?  have you ever been to israel? I HAVE  check the website or stick to things that you know, before making unqualified asinine comments, what are you, 16?
www.isayeret.com  
 it's actually posted by some acquaintances of mine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe Cause The Trigger Pulls So Spongey.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

have you ever worked with the israeli special forces?  have you ever been to israel? I HAVE  check the website or stick to things that you know, before making unqualified asinine comments, what are you, 16?
www.isayeret.com  

Hey, dont get your pants in a wad when someone is joking

Jeez....
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.isayeret.com  

Uhh...have you ever heard of sarcasm?  Calm down a bit...it'll do wonders for your blood pressure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#21]
someone needs to throttle back on the caffiene!

ive been to israel, and allow me to dispel a few myths:

universal conscription RUINS moral.

no orlites ANYWHERE

no galils, no Uzis. i only saw a few micro-galils used as vehicle crew PDWs

they also have a few peculiar habits ive witnessed. one is that gay practice of using a bootband to tie a magazine to the pistol grip. WTF?

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ive been to israel, and allow me to dispel a few myths:

universal conscription RUINS moral.

no orlites ANYWHERE

no galils, no Uzis. i only saw a few micro-galils used as vehicle crew PDWs

they also have a few peculiar habits ive witnessed. one is that gay practice of using a bootband to tie a magazine to the pistol grip. WTF?

you won't get any argument from me on any of those points.  in fact, i don't think the israeli military EVER used to orlites. i never saw any.  what i did notice was that almost every thing they do is for "effect" or how it looks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

lol, no kidding!
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]
The special forces may not use Glocks because they armories stocked with perfectly functional M9 Berettas with armorors who can fix them.  They could also choose their SOCOMP pistol if they want to club an enemy to death.  On a side note, what pistol are the Israelis currently using?  I thought they were happy with their Highpowers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#25]
They don't use Glocks or M-9's. They use 1911's by far the best pistol ever! Go see Blackhawk Down, the Delta guys are carrying 1911's.

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They don't use Glocks or M-9's. They use 1911's by far the best pistol ever! Go see Blackhawk Down, the Delta guys are carrying 1911's.

...The D guys and the Force Recon guys being the only ones using 1911 pistols in the U.S Armed Forces, the rest of the special operations units use the following: M9, M11, SIG P226 and Mk23 Mod 0.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
While they may not be general issue weapons, U.S. SF can use Glocks. At least that's what I understand from a retired Delta operator I know. He preferred a Glock and laughed when I mentioned the M9. Guess he believed the Beretta to be overly complicated or something. (BTW, I respect Glocks, but I don't like the trigger pull.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
The Glock is pistol is not used by the Army Special Forces, someone please correct me if im mistaken.

Perhaps your friend used the pistol while in CAG.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The Glock is pistol is not used by the Army Special Forces, someone please correct me if im mistaken.

Perhaps your friend used the pistol while in CAG.

Hmmm, don't know what CAG stands for. But come to think of it, he didn't out and out say that he used a Glock while in Somalia. He did say that he currently preferred one. Boy, I hate getting old. All those details just fall out of my brain!
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#30]
CAG, Combat Applications Group, means the unit your friend served in. How long have you know this person?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Of course! All those acronyms are so simple, really. As for my buddy, have only known him for a little over a year. He's an ER MD now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
thats becuase they have H&K MK23's to shoot.

You mean the MK23 dive weight?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#33]
For what it's worth I have a freind who used to be in the Seal teams who had access to Glocks as much as the Sig. He prefered the Glock to the Sig.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#35]
GLOCK does make maritime spring cups, and the 9mm's outfitted with these can be fired under water.  GLOCK must make them for some reason.  I do not know at who's request they were made, who purchases them, or who they are issued to.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Guess he believed the Beretta to be overly complicated or something. ,(BTW, I respect Glocks but I don't like the trigger pull.)

lol, is that the politically correct way to describe one now?

BTW, I respect Glocks too
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
GLOCK does make maritime spring cups, and the 9mm's outfitted with these can be fired under water.  GLOCK must make them for some reason.  I do not know at who's request they were made, who purchases them, or who they are issued to.  

We've all probably shot a bullet into a bucket of water at one time, they don't go in too far.  My question is how far would the effective range of a glock be underwater?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I thought I read somewhere that Seals used
Glock 17's with the underwater Cups. to allow
the pistol to be fired underwater.

The Cups have flutes to allow the striker
to work underwater.  It belive it said that
they used to dispatch sharks. and could shoot
someone standing on a dock while still
a foot under the water.

Maybe it was all bullshit but sounded good

Pete

Some threads regarding Glocks and Mk 23s at Tactical Forums, poster by the name Frogman is an active duty Navy SEAL.

64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000048.html

64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000030.html

64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000092.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#39]
spec ops uses what ever can get the job done.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Last month I sold my Glock 19 and 2 pre-ban Hi-cap mags because I wanted to try the new Kahr P9.The magazines were raving about it. Well I was sorely dissapointed. The first day at the range revealed problems with this brand new gun. First the trigger would not reset after each trigger pull requireing you to repul trigger. Bad news in a gunfight. Then the pin the the trigger pivots on started walking out. I also had several stoppages. I stopped shooting and when I got home I emailed Kahr Service Dept. and told them my problem. The had me send the gun in and I got it back 4 weeks later. Well the trigger pin walking problem was gone, but the trigger reset problem remained.
I unloaded it at the next gunshow. Now I have to find another Glock 19. I shot probably 5000 rounds through that Glock and had nary a stoppage. Lightweight and compact. Very accurate and reliable. I would always grab it instead of my beloved Series 70 Government Model. Great gun but in hot florida summers the Glock disappeared under a light un tucked shirt.
I always needed a jacket or vest to carry the 1911. My first carry piece was a Taurus PT 99, (read Beretta 92 for practical purposes)
Talk about a hard gun to conceal in Fla!!! Then I went to a Colt Officers model in Stainless. (Read  HEAVY!!!!!!!) I then got my Glock. Hooray!!! Of all my guns it is the most conceal able, reliable, accurate, most rounds and most fun. I should shoot myself for selling it.

If you have never tried a Glock, do so. You will love it. Don't compare it to any other Polymer Framed pistol on the market. All the rest are copies of the the best, even the MK23.

II hear SEALS wont carry the MK23 because of its weight. HMMMM, Someone say GLOCK 21? Hoo Yah
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
the awnser to you question about how far they go
is not far. plus the are wildly inaccurate when fired underwater. you can usually see a sharp curve after a few yards in the bubble wake they leave behind. but still cool to watch none the less.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#42]
davkenrem, Sorry to hear that your K9 had problems. My dad bought one and he loves it. He's never had any problem with his. I've shot it and I like it too. Accurate as hell for such a small gun. The only thing I don't like about it is that it only holds 7 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
davkenrem, Sorry to hear that your K9 had problems. My dad bought one and he loves it. He's never had any problem with his. I've shot it and I like it too. Accurate as hell for such a small gun. The only thing I don't like about it is that it only holds 7 rounds.

I can't speak on a K9, The P9 is very different as far as design. I would bet it (K9)works much better.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#44]
back in the day...I've never seen the SF boys using Glockbs...only .45s HK's or SIGs...Barettas were in their inventory for a very short time...before I retired we were issued the Baretta, but thank God we still had 1911's in the arms room, I went to the armorer, gave him the baretta and got my 1911 back...I don't think that GSG-9 uses the Glockb...that organization no longer exists...
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
is not far. plus the are wildly inaccurate when fired underwater. you can usually see a sharp curve after a few yards in the bubble wake they leave behind. but still cool to watch none the less.

So what exactly would be the point of trying to shoot it underwater then?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what exactly would be the point of trying to shoot it underwater then?

These cups are NOT made so that you can fire the gun under water, although they do make it possible.  What they are made for is to allow the weapon to reliably fire when the action is full of water, such as when you first raise it out of the water and the water inside hasn't all drained out yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Underwater shooting is a good way to go deaf. Pressure wave caused by the shot is too close to the shooters head. Don't try it at home kiddies or you'll be saying "What?" a lot.

As for the Glock trigger being "spongy": My G30 .45 isn't. 15 minutes with a dremel polishing wheel and there you go. Now I'd almost call it crisp. Not "spongy" in any way. Polish the center of the pivot pins and places that rub during firing. Use caution. Don't remove metal, just shine it. While you're there polish the feed ramps. That helps a bit too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top