Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 4:37:45 AM EDT
Hey ya'll.  I've been out of the saddle for a while with my AR's.  I recently moved to Frisco, Texas and I am looking for 1.)a black rifle-friendly range, 2.) a good gunsmith and 3.) a dealer in the area that won't hose me too bad on transfers or attitude.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Guz
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey ya'll.  I've been out of the saddle for a while with my AR's.  I recently moved to Frisco, Texas and I am looking for 1.)a black rifle-friendly range, 2.) a good gunsmith and 3.) a dealer in the area that won't hose me too bad on transfers or attitude.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Guz

Welcome back.  You're in luck.  The best black rifle gunshop in North Texas is K2 Sports in Richardson at the corner of Central Expressway and Arapaho Road.  Phone 972-234-5537 and talk to the owner John.  K2 Sports is strictly "tactical" and has the resources of an excellent gunsmith who's also a top IPSC competitor.  John is one of us, he's donating a complete rifle to be given away at the BRC and will have a vendor booth at BRC.  John does very reasonable transfers too.  The closest black rifle friendly range is Collin County Rifle Range on 380 in east McKinney.  Backwoods Traps in Little Elm is OK too.  If you're feeling a little outlaw there's Mickey's place on the Trinity south of Dallas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Arock.  I'll check'em out.  Glad to be back in North Texas.

Guz
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
K2 are nobodies, Hell, I was going to buy a colt comp H bar, and the guy said that colt sold the carry handles seperate, not to mention they are way overpriced with all that they sell.
Dont know about their GS. They do offer alot of services. Gibsons Outpost is a good putdoor range. 10 to 200 yards. AS for GS. there is the Blueing Bros in mesquite,& the Ammo Depot next door, We do transfers for normally 10%. Now Mickey is a, forgive me Mickey, little whiney, (its an act) but he is cool. Hes is the same Mickey as the trinity one. Come out to the Ammo Depot next saturday.
GG
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Collin County range. A little far but I like it. I've been here a year <from NJ>. The D/FW gun range was cool, but somebody took out a chunk of the Man's wall with a high-power rifle. Now no more ARs or SKS allowed <blah>

Where is this Mickey's ? Im in Grand Prairie, and am always looking for a good place to shoot.

CB
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
K2 are nobodies, Hell, I was going to buy a colt comp H bar, and the guy said that colt sold the carry handles seperate, not to mention they are way overpriced with all that they sell.
Dont know about their GS. They do offer alot of services. Gibsons Outpost is a good putdoor range. 10 to 200 yards. AS for GS. there is the Blueing Bros in mesquite,& the Ammo Depot next door, We do transfers for normally 10%. Now Mickey is a, forgive me Mickey, little whiney, (its an act) but he is cool. Hes is the same Mickey as the trinity one. Come out to the Ammo Depot next saturday.
GG

Gun Guru's got a fine place too at McClelland's Guns and his 'smith has done great work on several of my rifles.  McClellend's is a full service dealer with a WIDE range of products.  McClelland's has both black and brown rifles, shotguns and pistols.  214-321-0231.  Check him out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes Arock, I was about to mention McClelland's. It is a fine gun shop and the owner, Ron Rutledge, is a nice guy. As far as a range is concerned I have never had any problem shooting my "black rifle" at Garland Public Shooting Range. The only draw back is, it is only 100 yards maximum.
Jim Hall
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Collin County Gun Range is the most black-rifle friendly range I've found. They have tac-bays that you can use (after being certified as good-to-go by the owner) and a 100yd. rifle range.

The positions on the 100yd rifle range are sitting only, unless you want to go prone underneat the stalls I guess. They also have been slapped with a really insane local ordinance from the city of McKinney that's designed to shut them down so they are only open on weekdays until 6pm and Saturdays. They also no longer allow full-auto do to the same ordinance.

TRAPS on 380 has a nicely kept and very professional looking range but they don't allow the use of FMJ ammo in rifles and while they don't hate black rifles, I've caught some sideways looks from some of the duck hunting crowd there.

There is also a 300yd range out in Cumby,TX that I've never visited; but I plan to check it out and report back.

Hadn't heard of Mickey's.... any other info on that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
FFL?  www.rcsunlimited.com  Craig is one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet.  $10 transfers.

Range?  My favorite range is Backwoods Traps in little elm.  VERY close to Frisco.  Nice, clean, good quality range.  Nice people.  The range office there (Lowen) is a super nice old coot, and he loves it when I bring my collection of evil black rifles.  We have gotten to know him tho...  The biggest reason that I can see why some ranges snub their noses at EBR owners, is because they are the biggest rule breakers... and they are in my experience.  I always see new guys show up with their AR's, and they bust out the FMJ, even though the signs against it are everywhere.  That's why they might catch a sideway glance from the RO's.  I dont like that rule, but I follow it.  Not the most "Black Rifle" friendly, mainly because their insurance company slapped down the rule of no FMJ ammo.  I just shoot cheap Wolf hollow-point there, or Black Hills Match ammo (HP)  They sell Coyote brand SP for $12 a box of 50 at the range... which aint bad stuff.  Collin County Gun Range is my second choice.  Better tactical, they allow FMJ, and more ranges (distance) to pick from, but not as comfortable and very loud in the rifle area.

Gunsmith?  I haven't found a really good AR smith... mainly because I haven't needed one yet... but I am reading this thread in earnest!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like the Collin County range. A little far but I like it. I've been here a year <from NJ>. The D/FW gun range was cool, but somebody took out a chunk of the Man's wall with a high-power rifle. Now no more ARs or SKS allowed <blah>

Where is this Mickey's ? Im in Grand Prairie, and am always looking for a good place to shoot.

CB

So no ARs at DFW gun range?  That is sucked.
I, sometime, test fire some FA from C3 dealer who has an office in there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea, the DFW Gun Range is a good place. I asked about the "No-AR" deal and one of the RO told me the story about what happened. I asked him if I could shoot my M1 Carbine, he told me that its no problem. The Carbine is a "pistol" round and that is anybody gives me shit I can quote him.

Very nice people there. too bad somebody ruined it for ARs

CB
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't realize there was so many "BR/gun" stores around the Dallas area...are there any more on the south end of Dallas / Mesquite area or Heaven help us around the Ennis area, which is the place I take my shoes off at night. Man, I'm starting me a new list. Ah, I think I'll just hit "print"....Thanks guys with the know, I'll have to check these places out. Russell/Jackpot-out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top