Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 10:36:05 AM EDT
Which one do you guys like better. I like the price and mag price/availability for the DSA but want the better rifle. Have a chance to possibly get 1 or the other.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 91 and I absolutely love it.  You can't hardly beat the price of mags on the 91 either...I see them all the time for $8-$10 online.  Also, the HK is a preban, if that matters to you...meaning you get the flash suppressor and the option of adding a collapsible stock.

Parts are abundant for each, but probably more expensive for the 91.  One thing I really like about the 91 is it's reliability...it has no gas system to get fouled and cause failures.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
But remember the FAL-type rifles has an adjustable gas system, so that you can tailor the system specifically to the ammo you are shooting. The recoil on the FALs are not quite as bad as the HK91s, but they are manageable. Tough choice, its like getting up in the morning and trying to decide which lake you want to fish in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my $0.02

If you go DSA, get their STg58A "kit gun" over the SA-58.

I've seen handled and fired both, and the SA58 does NOT have $600 in value over the STg58A. (Thru a freindly FFL, you can get the 58A at cost - $800. The SA is $1,400.)

My friend who has the 58 says my 58A is the better value by far.

My 58A will shoot 3.5" groups at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both the DSA, HK91 and HK93. They each have their advantages. It is easier to scope the HK series than the FAL as the HK claw scope mount is very easy to detach and re-attach. I shoot the same ammo in the 91 and FAL. They are both very accurate. Decisions....
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's my $0.02

If you go DSA, get their STG58A "kit gun" over the SA-58.

YES !!  (Probably a better barrel than the regular DS Arms barrels.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
HK. Is there any other?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot both, and I'd say go with the FAL. To me the HK doesn't feel as well, or feel as good in my hands. But then each person is different. And the recoil on the FAL is lighter. No doubt, they're both good guns. But for some reason the HK just doesn't do it for me. Handle each and see which one fits you.

As far as garandmans suggestion about getting DSA's STG58 build, I'd agree. Cheaper, and the quality on them is great. Beautifull guns. And if you don't like the metal handguards you can always shell out $50 and get DSA's synthetic ones.

Good luck either way.    
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot both, owned both and sold the pre-ban HK91.

The parts and magazines for HK91 used to be expensive.  Thank god, new 20rds alloy mag can now be had for about $7 each.  Parts kits also easier to come by.  I didn't really like the recoil- beating me to death, also took longer for me getting back on target when shooting off hands. I also hated the magazine release and the cocking handle which was way too far forward.  The other thing I disliked was collapsible stock- never felt comfortable w/ it. However, I still think it looks pretty nice, as I still have a post ban one w/ FMP receiver but I don't shoot it anymore.

On the FAL, I picked up a Pre ban one three years ago- still have it.  It now has a shorter barrel on and a para folder which is more comfortable than HK.  The controls are much easier to manipulate along w/ the adjustable gas system for different type of ammo.  The rear sight on most FAL is horrible, but some company (TNT, I think) is making ones just like those on AR-15A2.  I never did like the FAL that much, but after reading quite a bit about it, I later changed my mind.

I now own another FAL: a DSA STG-58A, along w/ a few sets of parts kits.   The STG-58A is very well made, very affordable for 308, and accurate as well, as another members mentioned before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top