Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/15/2002 12:08:37 PM EDT
Just looking for some opinions from the always helpful masses at AR15.com, especially all the Colt afficionados. I added a new Colt to my collection yesterday and traded a pre-ban Bushie HBAR for it. It is a Colt SP1, SER. SP 132XXX, with a tear drop FA, no brass def., and full vent FS. My question is: does the overall collector value diminish if a rifle like this has been refinished. I ask because the ENTIRE weapon has been refinished in a jet black teflon coating (even the FS, bolt assy., hammer, etc.). I don't know if it is Bear coat or what, as I don't have any personal experience with this, but it looks awesome, smells a little funny, but looks incredible. TIA for any info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:48:28 PM EDT
All things being equal, collectors prefer original finish. But it can be a very fickle market. Refinishing an original 1851 Colt Navy will most certainly hurt its value. Refinishing an SP-1 like yours, maybe not so much. The whole collector value thing is pretty much smoke and mirrors anyway. I've never bought a gun for its collector value and doubt I ever will.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:01:29 PM EDT
if you put two of them side by side which would you like better? i plan on getting a garand someday and making her look all pretty. i don't care about collector value. it's already in my collection. if it's not crap i don't plan on selling it so...do as thou will.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:43:05 PM EDT
Thanks for the responses guys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:51:14 PM EDT
Hey Cloak,

I saw that you had the opening bid on an SP1 a couple of weeks ago at Auction Arms. I thought about bidding on it myself until it sky rocketed to over $4100 !!!
You think it was worth it??

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:32:37 AM EDT
Coltshorty, was that the one that may have been the "Comanche"? If so, and I had the dough, I would've paid that much for it...I'm a Colt whore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:25:07 PM EDT
That's the one. I'm not 100% sure that it was a Commanche though. The seller didn't seem to be too sure either. I'd love to find a Commanche, especially a shorty!!!
I saw in one of your other threads that you are looking for some triangle handguards, I may have an extra set. If I do I'll shoot you an email after awhile.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Top Top