Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 12:08:37 PM EDT
Just looking for some opinions from the always helpful masses at AR15.com, especially all the Colt afficionados.  I added a new Colt to my collection yesterday and traded a pre-ban Bushie HBAR for it.  It is a Colt SP1, SER. SP 132XXX, with a tear drop FA, no brass def., and full vent FS. My question is: does the overall collector value diminish if a rifle like this has been refinished.  I ask because the ENTIRE weapon has been refinished in a jet black teflon coating (even the FS, bolt assy., hammer, etc.).  I don't know if it is Bear coat or what, as I don't have any personal experience with this, but it looks awesome, smells a little funny, but looks incredible.  TIA for any info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
All things being equal, collectors prefer original finish.  But it can be a very fickle market.  Refinishing an original 1851 Colt Navy will most certainly hurt its value.  Refinishing an SP-1  like yours, maybe not so much. The whole collector value thing is pretty much smoke and mirrors anyway.  I've never bought a gun for its collector value and doubt I ever will.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
if you put two of them side by side which would you like better?  i plan on getting a garand someday and making her look all pretty.  i don't care about collector value.  it's already in my collection.  if it's not crap i don't plan on selling it so...do as thou will.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses guys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Cloak,

I saw that you had the opening bid on an SP1 a couple of weeks ago at Auction Arms. I thought about bidding on it myself until it sky rocketed to over $4100 !!!
You think it was worth it??

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Coltshorty, was that the one that may have been the "Comanche"?  If so, and I had the dough, I would've paid that much for it...I'm a Colt whore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the one. I'm not 100% sure that it was a Commanche though. The seller didn't seem to be too sure either. I'd love to find a Commanche, especially a shorty!!!
I saw in one of your other threads that you are looking for some triangle handguards, I may have an extra set. If I do I'll shoot you an email after awhile.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top