Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2002 5:27:40 AM EDT
I haven't bought a rifle yet. But when I get a job this summer I am going to save up money to buy the following.  If you have any experience with these can you tell me pros/cons with them.

1. Bushmaster Shorty AK-$733.00
2. Bushmaster Bullpup AR-15-$660.00
3. AK-47-$300.00
4. G3/HK91-$500.00-$700.00

Total=$2393
Plus I'm gonna get ten+ mags for each.
Any help would be appreciates
Don't really need help with the Shorty Ak, because I have shot it and cleaned it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO:

Bushy AR is a good standard rifle.  

ArmaLite is higher quality and many more versions and Colt has a better name (but not quality or imagination).  Both seem to have better resale value if tha's a consideration.

Forget about that bullpup.  It hasn't really developed a good name and is heavy.

AK is a must-have in a collection but hold out for a pre-ban.  The post-ban rifles are parts guns or imports with 10 round mags and odd configurations.  Again, resale value of a pre-ban is better and the price isn't that bad.

The G3/HKs you're talking about are obviously the parts guns.  They're pretty junky.  

Avoid all parts guns like the plague.  Spend the extra money for a full factory pre-ban.  All 91s, FALs, AKs post ban are parts guns.  Some look better than others but none are made to the full quality of the earlier imported guns.

Buy a genuine HK, FN FAL, or the Springfield Armory pre-ban versions of each.  If you want a .308 the AR-10 is the best thing on the market post-ban.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
ah ahhh ... BS! - T2 I've got to disagree on the "none are built to the full quality of the prebans".

I have both a preban Browning FN-FAL, MFG. Belgium and a post ban parts gun built on the DSA steel receiver with a matching numbers Austrian STG-58 parts kit.  There is no question that the DSA receiver and STG-58 combo is just as high quality if not more so than the original.  The DSA is manufactured from a forged Billet and I have yet to hear anyone on FAL Files complain about fit and finish.

Had to raise the flag on that one.

Although I agree on the HK/G3 Clones - far and wide they are junk.

Ryan
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Postban AKs of more recent vintage aren't too bad, the dreaded American parts problem seems to have diminished.  Preban AKs are too expensive IMHO.

Don't do the bullpup thing.

If you want an HK, buy an HK.  Even the relatively decent clones (Springfield Armory) are so expensive you might as well fork over the extra coin and get the real deal.  The parts guns are likely to bring on migraines, although you either might get lucky or have good gunsmithing skills.

A friend of mine bought the Bushy shorty AK, it need an extractor fix (O-ring) and is loud as hell, but she likes it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey maybe I forgot to mention, but I am only 13yrs old.
What's wrong with the Bullpup
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You're 13 yeard old and can save up 2500 dollars by the summer time?  when you graduate college, take the series 7 and become a stock broker, give me a call.

The Bullpup is either loved or hated by posters here.  I haven't had the pleasure of firing one, so I'm keeping an open mind.  It does look cool, BUT if you get one, plan on spending more money on the optics.  Remember it only has a 25 meter sight on it.

If you're planning on getting an AK for 300 bucks, get it soon.  They are becoming harder to find at cheap prices.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I would agree that you should buy the best quality you can afford, but keep in mind that this is coming from a bunch of old guys that have a regular income.

I'm gonna get yelled at for this, but I would get a frankenfal just to be sure you like it.  My first Fal was a Century bastard that was half metric and half inch patern L1A1.  The thing ran like a top though!  

It was kinda like a fat woman though...fun to play with but you didn't want your friends to see you on one...
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW I would also skip the bull pup and get another complete upper for the AR.  Get the opposite of what you get when you buy the rifle.  For example if you get the Shorty AK get a 20" flat top w/no front site for varminting (of all kinds) and a nice scope.  That's the beauty of the AR is that it's modular.

As a side note, I've never lost a dime reselling any gun I bought that I ended up not liking...
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
well I was 15 when I bought my first ar so I can see where your comming from, my advice is to stick around here for a while and take not of the great advices of some of these old farts.

ohh yeah and use the money for the bullpup, for the little odds and ends costs, like shipping, transfer fees, ammo, mags, and cleaning kit.

trust me you will be spending more than enough money on just buying all those little do-dads likes a comp m or ras anyway. thats the addictive part.
Top Top