Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/10/2002 4:24:08 AM EDT
Local gun dealer has Police trade in Sig 220's. I have a NIB Springfield officers model. I am going to try to work out a trade. I live in Maryland and you basically cant get new handguns due to the "fired case" law.

Are those sig's good handguns? I have never heard anything bad about them.

I already have a compact pistol that I use for a carry gun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:02:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2002 6:07:09 AM EDT by CockedandLocked]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:17:01 AM EDT
Run, don't walk down there and make a trade.

You won't be disappointed.

I test fired one years ago (a whole box of ammo) and loved it. Didn't buy it 'cause I couldn't come up with a plan to pay for it and the divorce attorney at the same time.

Now I really wish I would have spent more time schemeing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:18:12 AM EDT
I have a Sig 220 and love it!!! But----I would stay away from the police trade ins. A good friend of mine's agency had problems with the frames cracking on them and the finish sure does not hold up to holster wear that good.

In other words if you do decide to buy it ----look it over very well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:23:09 AM EDT
What is the "fired case law"?
If have never heard of such a thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2002 6:42:43 AM EDT by 5subslr5]
I'm compelled to say this about the Sig 220 - I don't like the trigger-travel(too long) to actual trigger engagement on my pistol - mine happens to be in .38 Super (because I always wanted one!).

Additionally I'm having some trouble getting a rear, low-mount Heinie straight-eight, slant-pro sight to mount. (Don't want a snagging rear sight on a carry-gun so my Gunsmith is going to have to cut.) No problem with the front sight just the rear.

This will become my primary carry gun when the sights are finally both on and the trigger-corrected although I keep hearing this is the way the trigger is ?

Any help on trigger appreciated !
------------------------------------------------

cbline,
Now to your situation - I would 'slowly' saunter down there, have someone guarantee me the frame was not cracked - and if I could cut "my" deal then I'd do it. But only if I could do my deal.)
You can always sell your pistol and buy another used 220 that almost assuredly will be in better over-all condition.

I paid $550.00 shipped for mine and the .38 Super was hard to find. This one has the American mag release, correct box even has the original outside cardboard box all mags, manual and paperwork about a 99% pistol with 50-rounds through it.
I'm not wuffing about my deal but at least this gives you some sort of $$$$ 'marker.'

(My $.02)

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:38:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cbline:
Local gun dealer has Police trade in Sig 220's. I have a NIB Springfield officers model. I am going to try to work out a trade. Are those sig's good handguns? I have never heard anything bad about them.

I used to own a Sig P-220 & got only 4-6" groups @ 25 yards. OTOH, it did feed & shoot anything I put into it. I sold it & bought a Glock 30 which shot rings around it.
OTOH, I owned a SA Champion model which kept having the slide catch engaging during rd feeding. Not a good thing so I sold that one also.
Keep in mind that Sig's are like revolvers: there's no manual safety. If that's a concern, adjust accodingly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:52:27 AM EDT
Not sure of the exact details but but bascially you have to give the State police a case that has been fired from the gun. So that they can have it on file.
This only applys to new handguns so the dealer just stocks police trade guns or other stuff he picks up.

Since no gun makers supply "fired" cases.......
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:09:31 PM EDT
That law sounds ridiculous....

Sig 220 are great guns, and I have had very good luck with SIGs being accurate and reliable. Do be cautious about high-mileage guns that have been fed +P ammo. You will see cracks in the frame in front of the take-down lever inside the frame. This will normally only happen on VERY high mileage guns that have been fed +P for a long time. Hope this helps

Bill
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:53:27 PM EDT
Well looks like Glock is thinking on their feet! I just bought a NIB 26 with adjustable sites for $499. The weird thing was that there were two fired cases in a serial numbered envelope. I didnt understand why they would do such a thing. Now I understand.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:57:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2002 2:05:20 PM EDT by CockedandLocked]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:16:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CockedandLocked:

Originally Posted By cbline:
Not sure of the exact details but but bascially you have to give the State police a case that has been fired from the gun. So that they can have it on file.
This only applys to new handguns so the dealer just stocks police trade guns or other stuff he picks up.

Since no gun makers supply "fired" cases.......

Not all states require this procedure and firearms are only shipped with fired casing to the states that do. That is why some firearm mfg are not shipping new ""certified casing" weapons to these states because they dont want to or dont support the new statutes

And yes the fired cases are coming from the factory and shipped to the dealers with cases included
================================================
We are looking for a few good handgunners

That's true. when I bought my Kimber Classic Stainless it came with a little envelope that had a fired case in it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the hell they sent that to me for, but then I RTFM'd and it explained it all on a little insert. I guess dealers usually take it out when the receive them but this one didn't. I bought it here in Colorado which doesn't require any of that BS.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:50:29 PM EDT
They are large pistols. They're a tough CCW weapon. I have one (220) and have packed it and a 226 for years. If I had it to do over. I would have to go with something smaller.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 10:08:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By joker223:
finish sure does not hold up to holster wear that good.

I can vouch for this. I bought my brothers 220. He use to work for an armored car bank company. The finish on the top was wearing thin in a few places when I got it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:43:34 AM EDT
Yea, the standard finish you can almost wipe off with a cloth! The K-coat is a different story. You can always have it K-coated.
Top Top