Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2002 8:05:05 PM EDT
       While still a lurker , I noticed that alot of folks scoff at using an AR-15 for home defense . I have a Bushmaster 16" Disipator with an Aimpoint comp ml/2 on a forward carry handle mount . This seems like an ideal weapon for home defense to me .
  This weekend I did some shooting at 1 gallon water jugs using 55 grain Hornady V-max ammo . The result was pretty impressive with 30 foot water showers and plastic jugs being turned inside out . The bullets would only make it into the second jug ( I had them lined up) so over penetration shouldn't be a problem .
     So what's wrong with an AR for home and family defense ? I'm pretty new at this so I would really like to know .
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a damn thing.  Don't listen to the uninformed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
technically there is nothing wrong with using an ar for home deffense. there is however a legal issue about using a non politically correct gun to defend yourself, but you know what there's a 16 inch bushy flatop with a comp-m that sleeps under my bed for just such a situation. I see no real reason why you should not use the best weapon for the job in any situation, and the ar-15 in my oppinion is it for home defense

you might get in but I'll be damned if you get back out.

ps. attack dog has aids.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
223 is pretty spectacular with water jugs, I can think of one reason for not using it for defense its loud especially when firing from indoors, I think a AR with quality ammo would be a great homedefense gun you are pretty much going to have the superior firepower.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not a damn thing.  Don't listen to the uninformed.

Like 1911Greg said, he won't be able to listen to the uninformed, 'cuz he'll be DEAF.
WHUDDHEESAY!!!

I'm no doctor, so I can't say your hearing will be permanently wrecked by shooting indoors, under duress.
What say those that have been there?
Huh?
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
a 12ga tact shotgun gives you:

-min 7 rnd capacity in a 18" (barrel) legal weapon.
-quick reloading and multiple dumps at any time.
-variable pellet "00" loads for high % perp hits in short range, wide FOV reaction shots.
-the option of "LTL" (less than lethal ie; rubber sabots, gas, etc.) first-rnd loads which claim to be favorable in legal review of a self-defense motive.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My  Ar is always close for Home defense.  a shotgun is not very quiet either,  when the shit hits the fan, loudness wont matter.  you wont even notice it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I would agree that an AR15 makes a good defense weapon...however, a shotgun loaded with )00 buck is my first choice (next to the bed) but not far away is a .45 and an AR.

medcop
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Look into whether or not your local cops use AR15s in patrol cars. Here, where I live, it's more prominant than the shotgun, and a key piece of my legal defense. The newspaper is great because they focus on the rifles. So, if you lawfully use the rifle, you can argue that it's good enough for the city/county.
Prosecutor:"Isn't it true that you used an AR15 to stop that rapist?"
Gunmonkey:"Yes."
P:" A nasty, black weapon that fires high powered bullets from a 30 round banana clip, right?"
GM:" Just like the ones issued to the responding, county funded sheriff deputies."
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
technically there is nothing wrong with using an ar for home deffense. there is however a legal issue about using a non politically correct gun to defend yourself

WHAT????

Regardless of what the liberal media wants you to believe about your AR, it is a LEGAL firearm. In the eyes of the law, there is no difference between an AR-15 and a single shot .410.

AND if you are ever in court defending yourself and your lawyer doesn't make that point for you ... FIRE HIM !!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#11]
A very good question, and the answer here is "not a darn thing".  I would suggest that you use something like a 40 grain BlitzKing bullet, but even the heavier bullets are less likely to overpenetrate than most hand gun ammo.

A good second choice is a .30 Carbine with JSP ammo.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Myself, I prefer a CAR15/M4 type weapon to a shotgun.  Others may disagree.  Use what you feel confident with.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
technically there is nothing wrong with using an ar for home deffense. there is however a legal issue about using a non politically correct gun to defend yourself

WHAT????

Regardless of what the liberal media wants you to believe about your AR, it is a LEGAL firearm. In the eyes of the law, there is no difference between an AR-15 and a single shot .410.

AND if you are ever in court defending yourself and your lawyer doesn't make that point for you ... FIRE HIM !!!!

All I am saying is that it is an issue to be considered when you are making you dicision. to tell you the truth I don't give a flying &*@# what those legal weanies think my ar by far my primary home deffense weapon.

too tell you the truth I am a huge advocate of using the ar in this role
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
AR15 is good, but mine are locked up.  However, my Remington 870 12 gauge and Glock 17 are always ready to rock and roll.  They are my choice.  I can shoot pretty good with the handgun, and unless the perp is something other than some jerk looking to make off with the TV, 17 9mm JHP rounds in the chest should hook him up pretty good.  Either that a 12 gauge.  More options are good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top