Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 6:47:59 AM EDT
AND why.
Here's mine.
A friend of mine and I were riding up the hill on our 4-wheelers to go scare a few rock chucks.  As I reached the cliff area, a rock chuck took off about 20yds in front of my 4-wheeler.  Out of instinct???? I let go of the handle bars, pulled my 1st edition Colt Woodsman out of my shoulder holster, racked the slide, leaned back in the seat, and fired, still doing about 15mph.  I fired 7 rapid shots, 3 of which hit the chuck, once in the head.  No one would have believed me if it not for my friend who came up hooting and hollering after witnessing the whole thing.

In another rock chuck adventure, I spied a chuck sitting on a rock about what seemed to be 50yds away.  Normally, I would not attempt that shot with a .22 pistol, but I have shot my Woodsman off a rest at the range at 75yds with 2" and under groups very common.  I stopped my 4 Wheeler, rested the woodsman off of the front rack and fired a single shot that hit the chuck in the head.  I walked off the distance....60paces.  My companions were very impressed.  Maybe, for most, these stories wouldn't sound like much, but I'm a pretty crappy pistol shot!

For anyone who has not had the luxury of shooting a Colt woodsman.  If you ever come across one, buy it.  They  usually run about 400-500 dollars, only about 150 more than the Ruger MkII.  I would put it up against ANY .22 pistol for accuracy.  My Woodsman's only problem is it is 1st edition, which means only sub-sonic/standard velocity/target ammo-very expensive.  But, man, does it shoot!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
my kimber gold match. I got a lucky shot and hit a quarter dead center at 50 yrds. I smiled and quickly put it down. That's one shot i will never hit again.

mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Give that quarter a "dirt nap !"

Mine is an old Israeli sniper rifle.
A Mauser 66SP.

I look like an actual shooter just carrying this rifle around !
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
All my guns makes me look good.  just kidding.  I am so helpless, none of my gun makes me look good.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am so helpless, none of my guns make me look good.  

I think I'm gonna call "bullschitt" on this one !

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]
guns762, nice Colt.

None of my guns make me look good.  Having to do gunsmith work at the line doesn't make you look good.  Nor (as I mentioned in another thread) does having to retrieve your slide and barrel from downrange when I shoot my Kel-Tec.z
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I HAD a gun that made me look good. Mil-surp 1911 (not an A1). First time I took it out, fired two shots at about 50 feet and the holes were overlapping. The only other guy around, mounting a scope on a new Husqvarna, assumed it was my pistolcraft. Just then he almost stepped on a Copperhead and started yelling for me to take care of it. Well, I aimed for the biggest part of it I could find and ended up blowing its head clean off. Then he was convinced I was a pistol ace.

The gun could always shoot much better than I could. But finally I caught stainless fever and traded it on a 1991. IF only...
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
On one occasion when I was in Grad. School, I took some friends and some faculty shooting.  I have a classic S&W mod.63 kit gun which I love but generally don't shoot so well.  We set about 2 dozen shotgun shells up on a 2x4 at 50 yards.  Knowing that I would not hit many (any?), I started shooting at them double action before those with rifles got settled down.  The first shot hit the end one causing it to skate across and knock out two others.  Shots two three and four clean- missed.  Shot 5 hit the board causing shells 4,5 and 6 to fall over and shot 6 missed.  The rest of the shells remained upright; only the first six from one end were knocked down.  Since nobody was paying close attention and since I had a gun mystique all assumed that I performed some sort of shooting miracle; six shots, six shells hit.  Needless to say, I put that gun away quickly and wore a wide smirk for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
My HK USP45 Tactical

At the AR15.com Texas Tac Pro shoot a couple of months ago, I got out of the truck and strapped on my tac rig with the thigh holster for my Tactical as *someone* was addressing a rack of 6 steel octagonal targets from about 25 yards. He knocked down 5 of them with ten shots from his Glock, and the slide locked back just as I stepped to the line next to him.

As this individual, who shall remain nameless, stepped away from the line, I pulled the Tactical out, pushed it out in front of me in a nice tight isoceles stance and knocked that last steel down. I then casually decocked the pistol, holstered it and walked away as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

When I first bought it, I took the Tac to the local indoor range to see what it would do. Once I got familiar with the trigger and adjusted the rear sight, I hung a target up at ~20 yards and put 5 shots into a hole 13/16ths of an inch across. I think I still have that target in the garage. It's just a shootin' machine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
my garand.  we put a plastic drink bottle up at 50 yds. first shot it flew up into the air, i hit it 3 more (of 3 shots) times before it hit the ground. couldnt hit anything the rest of the day, but for a minute i was king of the range.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Jarhead's USP above makes me look good too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Savage M12.

I shoot along with the highpower shooters during their events at my local club. It is one of the only times I can take advantage of the 300 yard range, it is normally closed due to the firing line being behind the 200 yard firing line plus it is great practice for varmints.

Anyway, at the last match of the year we went back to the 300 yard line and during rapid fire prone I promptly put 10 rounds in 70 seconds in a 2.5 inch group with 6 in the X ring and the rest in the 10 ring, made a minor windage adjustment and during slowfire prone I put all 10 in the X ring. I shot two more targets at 300 yards for 4 total and never had a shot out of the 10 ring with most in the X. It was a great way to see how that rifle shot 75gr A-maxs at 300 yards, Like a house afire.

Of course I was cheating a bit by Highpower standards by using a scope and a bipod but it was still damned impressive. Quite a few guys came over to shake my hand and ask about the rifle and were fairly shocked that it was a Savage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Which one of your guns makes you look good?

Anything in black. Makes you look slim and trim.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#13]
even water pistols make me look good, im a stud.
just kidding, An ugly FAL kit might make me look better, cant think of anything else
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#14]
a pearl handeled 1911 makes me look like cheap new orleans pimp.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My HK USP45 Tactical

At the AR15.com Texas Tac Pro shoot a couple of months ago, I got out of the truck and strapped on my tac rig with the thigh holster for my Tactical as *someone* was addressing a rack of 6 steel octagonal targets from about 25 yards. He knocked down 5 of them with ten shots from his Glock, and the slide locked back just as I stepped to the line next to him.

As this individual, who shall remain nameless, stepped away from the line, I pulled the Tactical out, pushed it out in front of me in a nice tight isoceles stance and knocked that last steel down. I then casually decocked the pistol, holstered it and walked away as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

When I first bought it, I took the Tac to the local indoor range to see what it would do. Once I got familiar with the trigger and adjusted the rear sight, I hung a target up at ~20 yards and put 5 shots into a hole 13/16ths of an inch across. I think I still have that target in the garage. It's just a shootin' machine.

I'll second that.  I have a Tac and a Knight suppressor..you think it shoots good naked, you should try it suppressed!  

QS
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#16]
My SuperMatch

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine would have to be a Ruger 22/45.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My Benelli Nova pump and my Bushy ar-15

Benelli: Shooting skeets with a buddy.. we ran outta skeets and still had about 30 shells left so we decided to make our own using plastic bottles and such.  Well my buddy fills a plastic 1 gallon jug up  with a little water for some weight to get high and far away.  Well I had 5 shells in my benelli and shot once at it and hit the bottom, fired another into the bottom of it causing it to fly up farther up, then again I blasted it a 3rd time, then a 4th I hit the top and it was coming down fast, then I shot it the 5th time just right before it touched the ground.  My friend couldn't believe it.. and I couldn't either.

Bushyar15: On a bet with the same buddy whilst shooting some more skeets. He bet me 10 bucks I couldn't hit a skeet with 1 shot of my bushy... well I got 10 dollars richer and had a BIG I mean HUGE head the rest of the day.  When I shot at it, it completly shattered and I couldn't believe my eyes.  I've tried this over and over and over again but, I jus can't seem to hit anymore. hehe
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My HK USP45 Tactical

Oh, Sh*t, where is LT?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
i make my guns look good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Which one of your guns makes you look good?

Anything in black. Makes you look slim and trim.

I know this gal down in Florida that can do a mean gold metal-flake on one of your 1911's amd maybe pink for your Walther PP carry-gun ??

Make a right sharp outfit !!  Of course both uh - colors go well with black.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
guns762, love the story! Got a first series pre-Woodsman myself, but don't shoot it much because the grips have disintegrated over the last 80 years .... where did ya find those cool grips your wears?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Years ago with a Benjamin Franklin .177 pellet gun up at our fmily's farm property in Alabama, I began shooting fired 12 ga. shells off the picnic table at a measured distance of 100 feet.  That's a fine pellet gun, and learned to shoot a string of shells clean off the table and knock them a good twenty feet back by hitting at the brass to plastic line.   I blew THOUSANDS of pellets through that gun that summer, and got good enough that I soon stopped shooting shotshells for targets and started on fired .22LR shells.  My glory moment was nailing a perfect string of 25 of those shells in 25 consecutive shots from the 100 foot mark with that awesomely accurate pellet pistol.

Among 'real' guns, I was thrilled the first time I used the old .45 (m1911) to make my first seven shot, one inch group at fifty feet.

Reloading the Browning Auto 5 12 gauge by hand in the middle of a surprise double at the sporting clays stands, and nailing both birds.
I had only put one shell in the gun and wasn't expecting a double...but I got it anyway!
Got some applause, too!

My Marlin Golden 39A lever action .22 (with scope) ALWAYS makes me look good.  A one inch
group at 100 yards with that rifle (and good ammo) means you've got the yips and need to settle down, relax, and start cranking out the 'one ragged hole' groups it's capable of in calm air.   I shoot at the 'thumbnail' target printed in the corner of the silhouette targets and keep them all in the center.  I'm not quite so good with other rifles, though.  I've still got a bit of the 'highpower flinch' thing happening.

The first time I aced a full round at the skeet range had me walking on air.  Full choke, 26 inch barrel, too!  (Browning Auto 5, 12 ga.)

CJ

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#24]
G3 / HK91  hands down  
BMF  the gun that is..not me!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
My old Stainless 10-22T. Box stock except for a cheap Bushnell 4x scope, Millet rings and a Harris BR Bi-Pod. Used to be able to take the plastic eyes off of stuffed animals at 100 yards with it. Never should have sold it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#26]
My G21.

Shooting at the Blackwater IDPA match in summer 2000. One stage we were required to start at arm's length from three targets, and on the buzzer we drew and shot each target once, then each one once again (best done 1-1-2-1-1 left to right and then right to left) while moving backwards. Good buddy of mine is taking pics, and I sort of like up-close rapid shooting so I tell him to get one of me on this one.

Buzzer goes off, and so did I! "Bang, bang, b-bang, bang, bang!"

Two holes on each target in the "0" ring in the chest area. Total time: 1.85 seconds. (My one little claim to fame in my shooting life: I bettered Todd Jarret on one stage!)

Paul brings the photos from the shoot to our next local match two weeks later. He told me it was a good one, and he was right. (Gonna have to get a scanner.) Pic is me on the last shot, slide at the rear position, and the other five pieces of brass are still hanging in the air.

Love that gun!

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
guns762, love the story! Got a first series pre-Woodsman myself, but don't shoot it much because the grips have disintegrated over the last 80 years .... where did ya find those cool grips your wears?

My dad made them decades ago.  He gave me the woodsman.  He has 3 others.  
Forgot to add that the walnut is from a tree that was in my Great Grandmother's yard.  Kind of a cool thing.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#29]
My MK23 SOCOM Pulled it brand new out of case threw 10 rnds into it chambered a round and shot the x out of the bull first shot. Big heavy thing but accuarate is an understatement.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Like Mattsd said,

I make my guns look good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Does this gun make me look fat?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Anything full-auto.. I may not hit anything but damn you look cool attempting to.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]
My AR-10T with 8-32 Signature Series Scope and Harris bi-pod. You don't see many AR10's down here so people stop at the range and try to figure out why an AR-15 looks so big. I just sit it up behind me, go to the line and watch people pass by. I like to lay a fresh target next to it so they can see it not only looks good, it shoots too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top