Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 7:33:40 PM EDT
My wife just gave me the thumbs up to buy one. What do you recommend? Size and weight is not much of an issue.I need one to hold black rifles mostly and six or less pistols, I am not really concerned with ammo storage as much.
-Brandon
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a 25 cubic foot Cannon safe recently.  Got it on sale for $999 at Academy Sporting Goods.  Bought it because it was on sale and had a digital keypad.  Very glad I got the keypad lock --- I would think the dial would be a real pain in the ass if I had to switch now.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an American Security and a Liberty.

I don't see how you can beat the Liberty, if you have a good dealer.  Be sure whatever safe you get has a fireliner.

I got the Washington 40 and I love it.

Size depends on how many long guns you have and whether you are sharing space with the wife's valuables.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you buy get one with twice the capacity that you need right now. You will fill it up before you know what happened.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got my second Liberty, a Lincoln 35 that probably is much bigger than what you need.  As sukebe said, buy a big one because they tend to fill up fast!  You can always put worthless stuff in there like you wife's valuables until you get enough guns to fill the safe up properly . . .
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whatever you buy get one with twice the capacity that you need right now. You will fill it up before you know what happened.

No foolin!  Seriously consider what Sukebe said!,  I went to a show last week and next thing ya know, no more room!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]
All good advice above.

When they say a safe can store x amount of guns lets use 20 as an example.  They are talking about bb guns or 10/22's without scopes.  

Once you start putting scopes on guns and placing them in their positions, they take up lots of space.  The gun behind is usually hitting the scope so you might have to leave that space empty.  The mag well and grip on the AR15 stick way out and usually hit the gun infront.  etc etc.  AK's with their small charging handle hit the gun right next to it.  It is possible to place two AK's besides one another, but they sometimes rub.  Unless you dont mind the guns hitting each other, you can probably only get 13 guns in a 20 gun safe.

ALWAYS keep a working flashlight on the top of your safe.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:23:36 AM EDT
[#7]
7 is absolutely correct.  I have that problem and I need a bigger safe........and.......don't forget the flash light!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#8]
A BIG ONE, No kidding cause I learned the hard way. I got a Liberty that holds I think 26 long guns, well its full and I am looking for more room. Something else to think about is your wife's stuff she is planning on storing in their. Why you think she gave you the thumbs up?
You should be looking for the largest one you can afford that is fire safe and has a key pad.
That describes my next one. Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top