Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 6:33:43 PM EDT
In the movie Lethal Weapon, what kind of rifle is Riggs using to snipe with at the dry lake bed?

I don't know, but would love to find out!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If memory serves -- and it has been quite awile -- it looked like a bull barreled AR15 -- like the ones DPMS makes.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#2]
HK PSG-1
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC it's an HK91.  But it's been YEARS since I've watched LW1.

Does it look anything like this?
www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0300/302.htm

I'm certain that it's a 7.62 semiauto.  It's not an AR15, or even an AR10.

My second guess is an FN-FAL.

But I'm reasonably certain that it's an HK91.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll vote for the PSG-1, it's been awhile, but I had always wanted one and it caught my eye at the time.  Much better performers to be had at a cheaper price than the PSG-1.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Tuuka:

Is this close?
www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0000/58.htm

I know it had a scope because you can see Riggs' eye blink through the front of it when the BG holds the MP5 up against his noggin.  I seem to recall that they also showed a couple of "crosshair" view shots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
It had to be an HK...it had the adjustable buttstock.  Could be either HK91 or PSG-1, I guess.

The movie is on HBO right now....final credits rolling.

EDITED:  Also, it did not have a flash suppressor on it.   PSG-1 then?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In the movie Lethal Weapon, what kind of rifle is Riggs using to snipe with at the dry lake bed?

I don't know, but would love to find out!

PSG-1.  Got $10,000-$12,000 laying around, you can have one, too.

Shot it, I don't think its worth the money. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Well now I gotta go see that damn movie again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely a PSG-1.  When they cut to the camera angle looking straight at the barrel where Riggs is wanting the guy to move so he can get a good shot, you can clearly see the different fore-end and heavy barrel that is used on a PSG-1.  I've only seen the movie about 15 times, so I'm no expert.  BTW, where in the hell did Riggs find a PSG-1 lying around on short notice.  Hell, that gun, even then, costs more than his little trailer on the beach.  I guess LAPD SWAT had one laying around that he could borrow for his personal vendetta against the Shadow Company drug lords.  Ha, don't ya just love Hollywood.

The camera angle is kinda like this, only from the other side.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Cypher214:

GSG9?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't remember specifically if it was a PSG-1.  Maybe it was a MSG90:

or even an MSG90DMR:

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#12]
What did i say

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The MSG90 is too new to be in that movie (came out in '90).  In addition, the MSG90 has a barrel weight at the end of the barrel and the PSG1 does not.  The rifle in the movie was a PSG1.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Tuukka, you da man.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Without seeing the stock and the trigger group, you can't say it's a PSG1.  Also, look at the bipod...that's a Harris.

I think this rifle is a bastardized HK91 dreamed up by some hollywood prop guy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Tuukka is correct, this is a PSG-1, the gun was show later in the movie when the general captured Rigs, and he has the gun sling over his shoulder while pointing the MP5 at rigs as they are walking back to the rally point. you can definitely see the stock, and the trigger group.  PSG1 does not have a bi-pod, it is equipped with a HK tri pod.  HK has known to mount harris bi-pod on their PSG-1 foreend.  Just look at the HK weapon system video, you will see a PSG1 on the roof top with a harris bi-pod.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Mr Lee is correct, as he often is on this subject.

I recall reading a first person account, that HK loaned them one of the first PSG1s in country, that the Hollywierd propman didn't ask, but figured he's go ahead and thread the inside of the barrel so it would cycle blanks, they trashed it and gave it back.  Didn't even mention that it was now unusable as a weapon.  The guy said the trigger shoe was at that time a necklace for a bimbo crew member.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: BTW, where in the hell did Riggs find a PSG-1 lying around on short notice.  Hell, that gun, even then, costs more than his little trailer on the beach.  I guess LAPD SWAT had one laying around that he could borrow for his personal vendetta against the Shadow Company drug lords.  Ha, don't ya just love Hollywood.

Don't you remember that Riggs is ex CIA?  I'd guess its a toy that he picked up along the way!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted: BTW, where in the hell did Riggs find a PSG-1 lying around on short notice.  Hell, that gun, even then, costs more than his little trailer on the beach.  I guess LAPD SWAT had one laying around that he could borrow for his personal vendetta against the Shadow Company drug lords.  Ha, don't ya just love Hollywood.

Don't you remember that Riggs is ex CIA?  I'd guess its a toy that he picked up along the way!  

Oh yeah, I'm voting that its a bastardized HK91
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#20]
IIRC, Riggs was not former CIA.  He was a "Special Forces Sniper" in Vietnam.  He was a sniper, he has a "special forces tattoo", and in the movie says he "once did a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out in high wind...".  I don't remember any mention of him being a CIA operative.  Unless of course he did a stint in the CIA between the time that he was special forces and when he flew for Air America.  Hell, that may be how he got the job with Air America.  LOL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top