Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2002 10:54:57 AM EDT
I want to buy another complete upper for my ar. I have an American Spirit Arms upper with a 20" Wilson match barrel. It will not reliably eject wolf or south african surplus ammo. I am not concerned with accuracy. I just want my AR to shoot anything I feed it.

Does a chrome lined barrel make a rifle more reliable?
Is bushmaster the only manufacturer that chrome lines their barrels?

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You might have a match chambered rifle and that could be causing your extraction problems. Firing 5.56 surplus ammo in a .223 match chamber could be dangerous and you might want to use the search feature, type "5.56 vs 223".

Mike
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just want my AR to shoot anything I feed it.

Does a chrome lined barrel make a rifle more reliable?

Yes, as does an M-16 spec chamber

Is bushmaster the only manufacturer that chrome lines their barrels?

Practically speaking, Yes; but there are other chrome options.

However if you have a pre-ban you can get a chrome lined Colt ($$$$!) barrel.

Most Colt Postban barrels only have their chambers chrome lined (still they should be just as reliable as a Bushmaster)  you still will spend ($$$) getting one.

Olympic Arms will chrome lined one of their barrels for you, at an additional cost (IIRC its $80)

Armalite also offers chrome lined barrels, however while they have been promising M16 chambers (like Bushmaster & Colts) they have not yet switched over.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
How are the colt 1/7 twist barrels with 55 grain bullets?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay away from Bushmaster stuff...
Last two uppers I got from them had to be sent back...
Chambers were too tight...
Rounds sticking in chambers...
Came back from repair in a timely manner, but still weren't right...

Best success so far is with DPMS, RRA, and no-name gun show uppers from Sherluk Marketing...

Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well contrary to another post, I'd highly recommend Bushmaster uppers. I've had great luck out of all the Bushmaster uppers I've owned.

Of the few problems I've had, they've always been ammo or magazine related. Speaking of which, good luck finding an upper that will shoot the Wolf ammo reliably.

And yes, having a chrome lined chamber and bore will aid in reliability.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My OLY is stamped 556 and gobble's up everything I feed it no sweat.
I have not and do not intend to try Wolf ammo after reading about some KB's.

Lee
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How are the colt 1/7 twist barrels with 55 grain bullets?

My brother had a CMP match upper built with one of the Colt 1/7 HBARS (Chromed chamber, unlined barrel).  It shoots a dime-sized 5 shot group at 100 yards with 55gr (GOOD quality) ammo.

Yes this barrel was handpicked off the assembly line so its not 'typical'; but he is still getting good results with a 1/7 twist and 55gr ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Adam556
What am I missing here. You have a match barrel and U R not concerned about accuracy?? Soundss like all U really need to do is feed it what it likes.  I go along with another upper for surplus, el cheapo ammo. I have the Armalite NM and I bought a BM just so I could shoot "cheaper" ammo. The Armalite only gets Berger molys. The BM has fed everything I put in it. However, I have not put foreign surplus through it. Even though I got it for half the cost of the NM, it will only be abused in the field. The NM gets cleaned evry 20 rounds, the snake, when I get a round 2 it. It still looks great, but I haven't started to beat it up in my pick up yet.
I also ordered a DPMS Bull 24 upper. They are supposed to be excellent for the money. I'm interested in affordable accuracy, so chome-linning isn't my thing. If the DPMS doen't give me 1/4 moa after painstaking reloading, it's a CLE or GSE 24" flat-top for me. Hope you find what U R looking 4.
Top Top