Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 12:19:42 PM EDT
I just finished mounting a Leupold VX-III on a Remington 700PSS (.300 WM) and discovered that the mounting holes on the receiver are approximately 45-50 MOA to the right of center.  (I had to hold over three targets to put one on the paper at 100yds)  As you can imagine this is far outside the adjustable range of the scope.

I did use Burris signature rings on a Leupold base, but you can only correct so far with the pos align ring inserts.  Also, I want to fix this now so it does not haunt me later if I upgrade base/mounts or try to sell the rifle.

Since this is a NIB rifle will Remington fix at no cost?

Secondly, do I have to send this to the factory to drill and tap new holes, or does a local authorized service center perform the repairs?  

If I have to send this to the factory, I guess they must mail back the firearm to my FFL?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey

Before I got too worried I would check that Leupold base. They are windage adjustable at the rear. I am believing there are two screw heads on the rear base. Loosen the right one and tighten the left one to move your group left.
 I would try bagging the gun down, remove the bolt and look through the bore at a black set out at 25 yds. Move the scope at the base until the cross hairs are on the black.
 It would be good to recenter your scope before you start. Turn the adjustment screws until they stop, then turn them the other way until they stop, then turn it back to half. Just count full turns, not clicks.
 Of course I never had this problem. I of course always knew to windage adjust my Leupold bases. Yeah, I never had that problem.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]

I did use Burris signature rings on a Leupold base.

What happens if you use the Leupold rings?

They are windage adjustable at the rear. I am believing there are two screw heads on the rear base.

Correct.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
"45-50 MOA right of center"

"I had to OVER three targets"

which is it? 50 MOA high or 50 MOA right?

Sounds like to me you're making the opposite correction with the inserts.

If you're using Burris Signature rings, I'm assuming that the base is a Leupold double-dovetail base so there's no windage adjust on it.  First thing - make sure that your rings are aligned perfectly and that you aren't flexing the scope tube.  Next, make sure that you aren't over-compensating with the offset ring inserts or making the opposite correction (remember that you're chasing the Point of Impact with the crosshairs using the inserts to move the tube within the rings - i.e.  If your groups are 40" high with both the "0" inserts installed in the front and rear rings, you'd want to make sure that the "+20" insert is on the BOTTOM of the FRONT ring and the "-20" is on the TOP of the front ring, and vice-versa in the REAR ring "+20" on  top, "-20" on bottom to give 40 MOA of total vertical adjustment).  Always use the ring inserts in corresponding pairs - ("+5" opposite the "-5" in the same ring,"+10" opposite the "-10", etc.)

Don't despair - I have made the opposite correction more than once!

If this ISN't the problem, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
have you tried reversing the rings?, or swap front to rear...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, so much for Remington quality control. You could always have Remington fix it under warranty but the signature rings will compensate for it.

The signature inserts you got with the rings are concentric -- +0/-0 = no offset. You're going to need the offset ring inserts, and adjust them like Hardwood said. Brownells sells the offset ring inserts. I forget the cost but they're less than $10 each set.

But if you ever go with a different set of rings and bases you're going to run into the same problem. I think I'd rather start with a rifle receiver that's drilled correctly and go from there. That means have Remington fix their mistake.

OCTJMO
ICBW
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
These are the double dove tail bases so there are no windage screws...

I haven't put the pos align rings in yet...waiting on the order to get in.

I was aiming the scope at target number three to hit target number one  (targets were set up from left (#1) to right (#3...windage is the problem.  Elevation was pretty close.

I noticed the problem after attempting to sight in the first time.  I removed the bolt, bagged the rifle on the target, attempted to move scope to center of target...that's when I realized how far off I was...

Now back to one of my first questions, does Remington redrill the receiver at the factory or do they handle warranty work through authorized service centers (ie. local gunsmith)?

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
About three years ago I bought a 700 VSSF and it had a bad cut chamber. Once fired brass was running out about 9 after resizing. I called Remington, made arrangements, and sent it back. They fixed it free and it didn't take too long.
If the holes are really drilled that far off, I'm not sure what the answer is. I would sure like to look at that rifle. www.snipercountry.com is a honey hole of info on bolt guns. You might check with some of the guys over there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Now back to one of my first questions, does Remington redrill the receiver at the factory or do they handle warranty work through authorized service centers (ie. local gunsmith)?

Not sure but I would guess they probably handle that kind of work at the factory, since it deals with a factory defect.

Your best option is to get a new rifle... second best, a new receiver... and third best, repair and redrill yours. Of course with option 3 it would need to be reblued or whatever finish they put on them. Personally, I would go for the first option but that's up to you. I just don't like the idea of filling in holes and redrilling them on a brand new unfired rifle.

There's a customer support section at www.remington.com. I'm sure they can answer all your questions.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If you haven’t already done so, you might want to check out the mounts and scope first to make sure they’re not the problem.

That being said, it’s probably the rifle – Remington has really gone down recently.  

Just a guess, but if it is the rifle, maybe Remington will offer to change the holes to 8X40, which is better anyway – though you would then have to do something about the mounts.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Frisco:  With that much windage error, I'd bet that it's not your rifle at all but that your double dovetail rings are simply mis-aligned with the receiver, which means that you've got the scope tube in a bind. Take off the scope, re-assemble the ring halves, and use a 1" dowel to twist the rings back into alignment, each ring slightly from right to left in your case (counterclockwise). Check alignment from ring to ring with the dowel then re-mount the scope and bore sight through the barrel until you get it close.  This should fix your problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Millet makes those rings...adjustable side to side........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top