Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2002 5:47:02 PM EDT
How does the waiting period work I filled out the paper work last wednesday and its a ten day wait so do I get the gun this saturday?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually, ten BUSINESS days.  Only M-F count.  Nothing more embarassing showing up at your dealer with sweaty palms, only to be turned away.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What state are you in?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in CA. if it is 10 business I am going to be mad! I was going to get it saturday and shoot then go back to school the next day.

This is  a load of bullshit I have access to 10 guns and they think I am going to go out and buy another to shoot someone?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
No, it's 10 days to the hour. They should have time stamped your paperwork. If your pickup date is this Saturday I assume you bought it a week ago Wednesday? Most dealers will tell you to come back in 11 days to avoid confusion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
10 days is long enough I hope I get mine to the hour.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
No offense, but 10 day wait... BUW HAHHAHAHHAHHA

PA rules - Walk in, buy gun, run papers over the phone, three minutes later you have new gun in hand.

I can get a new pistol in 15 minutes, and that includes bull shitting time, filling out paperwork, looking at new toys, and sharpening my knife.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

I'm going to go shoot my AR-15 with my Russian night scope on it.  Any Californians that wanna join, be my guest.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Right on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm going to go shoot my AR-15 with my Russian night scope on it.  Any Californians that wanna join, be my guest.

Yeah, well, I bet our governor can piss away 17 BILLION dollars faster than your governor, and do it with a straighter face as he lies about it being someone elses fault!
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

PA rules - Walk in, buy gun, run papers over the phone, three minutes later you have new gun in hand.

I can get a new pistol in 15 minutes, and that includes bull shitting time, filling out paperwork, looking at new toys, and sharpening my knife.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Background check?  
BUW HAHHAHAHHAHHA

In Indiana, I just whip out my CCW and I'm walking in 5 minutes.  You do have one of those in PA, don't you
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Big Bear is right.  In the PRK it is 10 days to the hour, but most shops make it 11 days to cover their collective butts.  In my new home state of North Carolina which is located in the United States, I can buy long guns with my CCW permit - no background check necessary.  When purchasing a handgun you have to have a permit to buy, but there is no waiting period once you hand over the permit and the cash.  Permits are obtained from the Sheriff Dept. and cost $5 each with a limit of 5 permits issued per visit.  Much better than waiting 10 days and 1 gun per month.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
blah blah blah

Go pound sand.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Background check?  
BUW HAHHAHAHHAHHA

In Indiana, I just whip out my CCW and I'm walking in 5 minutes.  You do have one of those in PA, don't you

Same as in Washington. It was 10 days for my first pistol when I turned 21 and didn't have my CCW yet... but now it's instant check and I'm out the door.

"Awww, five days? But I'm mad NOW." --Homer Simpson
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Geez, I can believe you guys are giddy as school girls over "instant check." That was part of the Brady Bill, remember? You guys liked the Brady Bill? A phone call, a background check, and a 3 minute wait sounds like infringement to me, not to mention the thousands of "instant checks" that were delayed due to mistakes, mistaken identities, and computers down at NICS. Yeah, I'm sure "instant check" and concealed carry "permits" were what they had in mind when they wrote the Second Amendment. When they close the gun show loophole and ban .50 calibers you guys will still be crowing about how it doesn't affect you... blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
In Virginia it varies. Where I live we go by the instant check system. You fill out 2 forms, they call it in to the State Police, and you walk out with your new gun.

EXCEPT

Some Commie localities, like Fairfax, impose their own additional requrements, like a 3 business day waiting period.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#16]
real funny Monel_Funkawitz I am frantically walking around the house waiting for my mini and you have to make a comment about just being able to walk into a gun store and walk out with a gun.  Well CA does have its good points how's the weather where you live?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Now your just being an a$$hole!!  Were you born in PA?  Does your wife and family live there?  Laugh all you want but when this shit happens to you don't expect any simpithy from me.  You will get treated the way you treat others.

And BTW...what used to be your board name before you registered under this current one?

Sgtar15(x3)
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The background check is still instant, of course. I think the 10 day wait is just a "cooling off" period. Of course, if you already own 20 guns, you still have to "cool off" before getting your new one. You couldn't go hurt someone with one of the guns you ALREADY have or anything.

Sooooooo stupid.

The one handgun a month deal is supposed to prevent straw purchases. People who buy a lot of guns legally themselves and then sell them to naughty criminals. It's illegal no matter how many you sell to a criminal, but this way you can only do one straw purchase per month in your quest to equip all those criminals.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a shotgun and an AR-7 in 1980 in LA and I don't remember if there was a waiting period or not back then. If so, it must have been 3 days for handguns.

Anyway, like Morpheus said, when you already have 20 rifles and 10 handguns it doesn't make any difference. Funny thing is CA has the DROS, so they have a record of some sort. This being the case, why should one have to wait if you already have 30 guns?

The only "wait" is the time it takes to decide if you want to blow the guy away with the HK USP or the Glock.

CA liberals always have solutions waiting for problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Actualy, the question isn't stupid. The ten day wait is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top