Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 4:46:57 PM EDT
Hi all,
I am going to buy a 24" fluted bb this weekend.  It is a 1 in 8 and i was wondering what grain of bullet should i use.  Can you use the same wieght that a 1 in 9 uses? If so, will it be as accurate?  

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You will find most 1 in 8's prefer nice long bullets. I get great results from 62gr fmjbt's on a hot load of Varget.

I have been working on a load with the same bullet over h335. man the h335 throws so nice and leaves my rifle much cleaner than varget did.

ahhh back to your question.

Try a bunch. Start at 55gr and work up. I wouldn't bother with the lighter ones. The 1 in 8 will generally be more accurate with the longer, heavyer projectiles.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything from 52 to 80 grains.  I have seen some of the lighter bullets shoot knots at 100.  If you are looking for accuracy, use the best bullet you can afford.  IME, most of the FMJ's just wear out the barrel.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A 24" 1-in-8 should work well for 62 & up grain bullets.  It's optimal for the 70+ grainers.  However, I have never understood (unless you shoot 600 yard service rifle) why anyone would buy a gas-operated semi-automatic rifle, and then single-load it?  If you use the really heavy bullets in .22 caliber, they have to be seated out beyond magazine length.  If you're buying it as a varmiter, why not get a bolt gun?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember, the faster twist is for LONGER bullets, not neccessarily HEAVIER bullets.  Consequently, heavier bullets are longer than light ones!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Kbaker:

FWIW, both Sierra (77 grain) and Hornady(75 grain BTHP Match) are designed to be seated to mag length.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks.  i will remember that information.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Try the 52-53 gr match bullets.  These should produce your best groups out to 200+ yards.  EDIT:  The commercial match 52-53 grainers are among the cheapest and most accurate .22 bullets out there.  Start from here.  

The twist rate should not matter, as long as it is fast enough.  The advantage to fast twists is that they can handle the heavy bullets.
The 1/8 twist can handle everything well, except for the new 90 grain bullets.  Good choice in an all around barrel!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Kbaker:

FWIW, both Sierra (77 grain) and Hornady(75 grain BTHP Match) are designed to be seated to mag length.

SRM

Yes, but when you do that, don't you significantly affect the case capacity?  Heavy bullets are slow enough as it is.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup, you loose case capacity. That's why the 600yd shooters in highpower use such high pressure loads. They're really maxing out the .223.
Just since no one has mentioned it, and since it's a favorite topic of mine to harp on...
Fast twists do have one disadvantage. They will cause light varmint bullets to shed their jackets if pushed too fast. How fast depends on the bullet construction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
KBaker:

Obviously, you are correct.  With longer bullets seated to mag length, the longer bullet must occupy powder space compared to, say, 55FMJs.  That being said, it is possible to overcome some of these limitations by selecting a proper powder for the bullet weight.  Typical velocities for the "heavy seventies" runs between 2650 and 2800 SAFELY, higher and you may be pushing the envelope.  Since the reloader is the quality control, these velocities must be approached slowly, taking all necessary precautions.

Poodleshooter:
Yep, some of the highpower folk have a reputation of "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!" But you are painting with a pretty broad brush.  IMHO, highpower is a game of positions and personal ability far more than an equipment/ammo race.  That being said, if you know of a the ultimate 600 yad load, pleaselet me know and I promise not to share it  You have obviously experienced the "blue cloud" phenomenom in the lighter bullets!!  You have to admit, it is rather impressive when you think about it.

SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top