Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 2:03:43 PM EDT
I saw a cool gun today at a show.  It was a glock 23c wich is a .40 caliber.  I generally dont like glock, but i do like that short
ported barrel.  Anyone have one of these?  Does the ports make any difference?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one and love it. The ports do make a difference but they also flash quite a bit on an indoor range. All in all, it's my choice for a perfect pistol though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a model 23, but it's not ported. Put a lazermax in it, truely a fine firearm. I do have a 20cc & a 21cc (ported). It does make a difference, but take it from me, NEVER shoot the ported 10mm without hearing protection! It took me two weeks before I could hear myself think again!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  Thanks dudes.  I went to the show originally lookin for a benelli shotgun.  After i got there, i started lookin at handguns instead.  Like i said, i generally dont like glock.  That 23c caught my eye.  And i have kinda made my mind up that i will probobly buy one.  Since i am new to glock, i assume the 23 and 23c accept the same magazine.  Right?  Are there any preban high caps availible for this handgun?  Oh, and whats "Glock drop free mags"?

Guess this post turned into "glock pointers".  Sorry.   Thanks for the info aswell.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 23c, its a great weapon. The 23 and 23c are identical in all things except the slide and barrel. You can always add a non-ported barrel or even a 357sig G32 barrel in the future- they drop right in. High caps are out there- Try www.glocktalk.com or one of the auction boards. They range from 60-100 bucks depending on NFML or FML and condition. They are all 13 rounds. Different ammo can greatly affect the "flash" effect of the ported barrel.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Here' my .02 on Glocks. Think, say, feel what you want. They are great firearms. Have a G22, G23, G27, and a G30. Clearly partial to .40 cal huh. Bought the 22 and 27 first, then the G23. Which I had bought the G23 first or al least before the G27. Fits the hands better. Passed on the G23C because of the flash & Bang. Shoot alot indoors. Saw a G24 but my DPMS Bull 24 was on order and I was trying to stay married. All .40 cal mags, of appropriate length fit. ie G27 mag 2 short for all the rest, but in the other order they work. Carry the G27 with a high cap G22 mag as a backup. Looks funny but it works.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Before you get the glock 23c take a look at the HK Compacts.  A glock would be a HK if left in the womb for the entire gestation period
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
If you plan on using it for defense, I would SERIOUSLY consider avoiding ported guns like the plague.  In low light conditions (which most defensive shootings occur in) the flash from the porting WILL destroy your night vision.

And firing the weapon from a retention position will cause scars. :)

For my $0.02, go with the non-ported 23--you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Zak- all guns flash when fired..low light or otherwise. Duh.  Do you own a "C"model? because your statement suggests you do not... If you wish to avoid the "heat" from retention position simply turn the barrel out slightly...
Most of these myths are propagated by those without experiance.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for the replys.  I already have to hand guns i use as a "self defense" purposes.  They are...An HK usp.40 and a Sig Sauer 228 (9mm).  The Sig is what i use for conceal-carry.  I favor my HK over my sig and any other hand gun.  Just because i "trust" it.  Right at 2000 rounds thru it and no problems of any kind.  No bad feeds, No jams.  I wouldnt think the ported barrel would bother me.  I while back, i shot my friends glock.  It was a 9mm long slide that was ported.  I cant remember the model number.  I could tell a difference in muzzle climb.  I just wasnt for sure about the the 23c though.  Since it was more of a compact gun.  And the shorter barrel.  The Glock 23c is the FIRST glock i have actually liked....   I also have yet another question.

I have been doing some reading about this gun.  I have read that the earlier glocks of this model didnt have the finger grooves.  Are the 23c's with the finger grooves considered the "3rd generation"?

thanks again guys
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The finger groove is the latest. My 23& 27& 30 has them, my hi-cap 22 does not. I like the other weapons you listed. You won't go wrong with the G23, no matter what anti-glokers may say. Still, weapons and women are a matter of taste.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Zak- all guns flash when fired..low light or otherwise. Duh.

Do you own a "C"model? because your statement suggests you do not... If you wish to avoid the "heat" from retention position simply turn the barrel out slightly...

Most of these myths are propagated by those without experiance

Yes, all guns flash.  Duh.  But the porting directs most of the flash directly through your sight picture.  Admittedly, most of it is red light, but it still leaves an after-image.

As for not having experience, and it being a "myth" (no, by the way, I do not own a ported glock.) I was in a level II class a few months back, which included some night shooting.  

At the start of the class, the instructor asked if anyone had any ported guns, and one guy replied in the affirmative drawing the usual laundry list of complaints about ported guns, which I have already mentioned.  The weapon in question was a Glock 22C, and the gentleman who owned it ended up standing next to me on the line during some drills.

When we got around to weapon retention, sure enough the guy (who had forgotten the caution about the porting) started cursing after every shot.  While "turning the gun slightly" does cure the problem, it's quite counter-intuitive and accuracy suffers.  While the accuracy can be cured through practice, practice, practice, do you REALLY want to train yourself how to hold a weapon improperly?

And after dusk rolled around, and we were shooting in the dark, we asked him--he said the flash did indeed screw with his vision.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the latest version of the Glock 23, the one with the finger grooves and the rails. I bought it for the rails.
The first time I shot it I sliced the heck out of the web of skin between my thumb and trigger finger. I still have the scars. I also had blisters on the bottom of the trigger finger and the top of my middle finger near the first knuckle.
My hand is big, and the finger grooves forced me to use a weird grip on it.
After a month of this I looked into sending off to someplace in AZ to have them shave the finger grooves off and do something about the trigger guard.
After finding out the price I thought to myself what the heck, I can do that with my Dremmel tool.
I ended up grinding down the finger grooves level and then grinding out the trigger guard and rounding out the outside of the trigger guard.
I used Scotch-Weld to fill in the stipeling, and then used skateboard tape for grip.
It works for me, I compaired it to a Glock 19 that had the same thing done, it looked almost the same.
After all that I found out that I could of just ordered a new lower with the same serial number (of course I would have to turn in the old lower) without the finger grooves and with the rails. Of course that would have cost me another $150 or so.
I like the Glock.
I used to own a H&K USP .40 Compact, I liked it, I wanted high cap magazines instead of carrying four 10 round mags around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top