Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 2:17:02 PM EDT
My Pelican Case came in today, the 1700. I used a razor knife with a fresh blade, and torched the blade every few minutes with a mini-torch. It took about 3-4 passes to cut all the way through the layer, but I got it. Here are some pics...

http://www.caseetc.com/guns/3.jpg
http://www.caseetc.com/guns/4.jpg
http://www.caseetc.com/guns/5.jpg

I have a muzzle brake from wilson en route, and I forgot to leave room for it. Looks like I'll be ordering more foam and separating it into the upper and lower. If anyone else tries this, my only tips are to use a sharp heated knife, and to make the lines as square as possible...don't try to cut all the nooks and crannies. Also, a template would be nice, but I just outlined my rifle with a sharpie :)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Great job.
Looks like a 1750 might be in order?
Cut out a place for a few magazines and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
is the foam soft of kinda high density?  im in the airforce and we have to foam all of our tools in for accountability.  we use a high density foam.  the best way i have found to cut it is with a router.  nice and crisp cuts and you can adjust the depth very easy.  you have th estart of a great case going though
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do I get one?

How much?

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, i'm kinda thinking the 1750 would have been a better way to go, but this will be fine for now. i'm waiting on a bunch of parts to come in before i cut anything else. i have a scope, comp M, a pistol grip, and a couple other things to put in there. i'll try to work it out so i have everything plus 3-4 30rd mags.

I had heard about using a router, but, it was really cold and I didn't want to go outside, lol. I'll probably use a router the next time around. The foam seems kind of soft to use a router, though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where do I get one?

How much?

I got mine from Donnie at Sableco.net. Price was about $135. You have to call to find out about them, they're not on the site.

By the way, the gun is not loaded, it's a magazine lock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Pelican cases are the best!

Many moons ago, I worked for an airline and a couple of years of that was cleaning up situations after somebody's baggage was lost or damaged.

Have you ever walked through a K-Mart, Costco or Wal-Mart and seen the luggage they sell?  that's pretty much what I found mangled, ripped, broken, crunched or otherwise.  Airline luggage shouldn't live such a rough life, but the sad fact is they do.  

Out of all those bags, I never had to fix or replace a Pelican case.  Never.  They've been dropped, smacked, piled on, run over but never broken.  They've received scuff marks, dirt marks and other personality traits to make them look less pretty, but they did their job and protected their contents.

Plus they're used very extensively by other industries such as professional photography crews, businessmen who have their convention presentations in them, Tech departments that ship computer parts in them.  So if you fly people won't give your case a second glance nor think there's a firearm in it.

So I bought a pelican case, and I havn't flown with it and treat it with all the gentleness I can, but I know it can take the rough stuff if needed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
[>Q] Is this the infamous purple lower from Bushmaster?  Also, how hot did you have to get that knife to shorten the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Naw, it's not the purple barrel, just looks that way from the camera. The barrel is just a 16 inch with a dissipator handguard...no mods on here yet...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Instructions say to use an electric carving knife.  Im going to try it tonight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have any handguns worth a case, yet. I have a .45 S&W in the sock drawer, and a PPK for CCW. I'm lookin at building my collection, though...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that one of those "purple" Bushies that I've been hearing about?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is that one of those "purple" Bushies that I've been hearing about?

negative...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Good job hoosier..
I guess its about time to for me to buy a good case..
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good job hoosier..
I guess its about time to for me to buy a good case..

depending on your rifle, i'd definitely suggest getting the larger model. i'll have more pics for sure when i get the rest of my gear in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry hooser, you can deny it all you want but that is definatley a purple Bushy lower. I'm a proud owner of one myself. I know it's hard to admit but sooner or later you just have to accept that you are a member of the purple Bushy club.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm...well, let me post a couple more pics. I still think it's just the lighting...

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Good lookin' weapon, my brother.  Is it me, or is your handle 1 notch back?  
A black rag w/ a little CLP will "blend" the splotches in the buttstock, by the way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good lookin' weapon, my brother.  Is it me, or is your handle 1 notch back?  
A black rag w/ a little CLP will "blend" the splotches in the buttstock, by the way.

thanks man! i've wanted to post a few pics of it in it's 'before' stage. my KAC equipment should be in any day now. you are correct, the handle is a notch back in the lower pics. yeah, i got rid of the blotches on the stock with some CLP (the pics in the first post are the most recent).
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#20]
A friend has done several of these cut outs.
He traces the weapon and makes his layout on the sponge. He then uses a electric carving knife for the cutting. He says it's the only way to go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I`ve watched electricians that use those type of cases for tolls and such, they freeze the foam, then it cuts nicely and easily.
BTW-Dissapators rule the earth, donthey?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Yippie!!!  Mine comes in Friday!

1700 was $143 + 20 shipping from www.cases4less.com.

I used to have a 1750 for my since departed PSS, but I butchered the foam job pretty well.

I'll make sure to follow your directions this time.

I have a question about cutting.  How does one cut properly for depth?  My 1750 came with two sheets of foam on the bottom, and I had to cut into the bottom sheet to accomodate the bolt handle, scope knobs, etc...  My job looked pretty sloppy as I mentioned.

How would you cut partially into another layer and make it look good?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top