Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2002 10:16:52 PM EDT
I've never seen a Bushmaster M17S bullpup before tonight, but it just looks damn cool.  I find it on gunbroker for around $660.

I'm thinking of getting that instead of an AR right now, worth it?  It looks better, and cheaper, and it's still Bushmaster.  Anyone own one can tell me more about it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well that is a difficult question to answer.
Personaly I love the M-17s. It is in my opinion (flame away) a beter rifle then the AR-15, but it was a number of drawbacks.

A.) It's not a modular weapon like the AR so you won't be able to change it all that much.

B.) It dosn't have the after market support and accesories that the AR-15 does
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The following thread has links to most of the M17s threads in the past couple of months, as well as links to several other source and info pages.  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=67606
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Had my preban M17 out to the range yesterday... put about 400 rounds thru it and all went well.  It's a nice way to get 20" of bbl into a short package.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Vic --

How many rounds did you shoot left handed with the M17?  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my M17. it's great.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Vic --

How many rounds did you shoot left handed with the M17?  

-- Chuck

ZERO
But, my friend shot a few mag fulls left handed...  but then again he shoots my SP1 with no shell deflector either...
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
It does have one serious shortcoming, however.  If you should fall while attempting rapid maneuvers, there is a greater likelihood that the magazine will go up your ass.    Best stick with the AR, where the magazine is out front, where it belongs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Only complaint I ever heard from an actual shooter was the heavier trigger pull, and not so hot iron sights, but most people liked them.

Interestingly, in the most recent issue of Small Arms Review, the designers of the new Soviet AK replacement, the AN-94, had pictures of several early prototypes, which were Bullpup designs, but abandoned them as the proximity of the ejection port to the shooters face caused alot of fume discomfort to full auto shooters.

I'm waiting for an AR-180B, but seems it'll be a while before they're on store shelves.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Spend a little more money and go with the AR15. You'll be happy you did. For one thing, there's alot more options open to you if you want to customize it.

Also, your friends won't laugh at you for having an ugly gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
actually, the reason I got interested in M17S is its shape.  It looks very futuristic, and if you see the "cutting edge" modern small arms, from the classic Styer Aug, to the British SA85, they all have bullpup design.  Having a nice 30" CQB rifle while maintaining a 20" barrel is a very efficient design.

I just needed to know if it shoots well enough.  Thanks for all the replies thus far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw an ad for an M17S in the Equipment Exchange...he wants $500.00 for it.  Did a search for the M17S & there are other postings for it on the EE.

Only criticism I have heard about it is that it heats up very easily...but I've never shot one & thats merely hearsay.

See this post for the M17S for $500.00:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81457
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont really like the look of them, Look a bit too short for me, i like a longer rifle .
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I like my M17, but if I could only have one it would be the AR.  Way more options on how you want it set up.  The M17 is a fun second gun, and with a red dot makes a pretty good house gun being so short, but go with the AR.  Then save up more pennies and get the bullpup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The AR is more accurate, so if you want to shoot little brown critters way out there or other long range stuff, go with the AR. Keep in mind here I'm talking about groups of 3"@100 w/the M17 instead of .75 w/the other. If this is not a big deal, and you just want combat accuracy, the M17 is fine. It's cheaper, easier to work on the trigger, cleaner, and when you punch holes in the reciever, or drill and tap, you can attach any accessory you can think of. The trigger needs a lot of work, but it takes 30 seconds to pull it out. The scope rail/carry handle will need to come off, but you can tear this rifle down in 5 min. It only gets better with a muzzle brake(try a JP)expensive but worth it when you can fire pairs at 50 in under .75 seconds and keep em in 10 inches.
I'd go for it. I was not disappointed. You won't be either if you buy it understanding it needs help. But that's a lot of the fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top