Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2001 6:58:38 AM EDT
I shot my 686 at the range last night and it's accuracy was pretty bad...AT 15 YARDS!  I fired 40 rounds of PMC 158gr. .357 and they went all over the place.  This has never happened before.  I thought Maybe it was me since I haven't fired it in about four months.  I loaded up the HK USP .45 and made a silver dollar hole in the head of the target with twenty rounds.  

This is where it gets interesting...now confident of my marksmanship, I place ONE round in the cylinder of the 686 and it went straight through the 10 ring of the target.  I then fully loaded the cylinder, and the accuracey was back to garbage.  The cylinder has a little play in it, but nothing worse than any other S&W I've ever handled.  The bore is like a mirror with absolutely no leading.  Any ideas why this revolver can't shoot worth a damn when its cylinder is fully loaded.  BTW, this has never been an issue in previous trips to the range.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried different ammo yet? I've never gotten real good accuracy with 158gr ammo. I stick with the 125gr & have real good results there. Also have a different shooter try the gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
This seems to be a new problem.  I doubt it is the ammo.  158 grain is the prefered bullet size more 357 mag shooting.  My guess is there is a problem with the yoke.  Maybe a hairline crack or something.  I wouldn't screw with it.  If you are sure it is not you then send it out for a tuneup.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like an ammo problem. Soft lead bullets and magnum velocity perform poorly. You state that there wasnt any lead in the bore. So I assume you were shooting lead.......

Try this to see if your revolver is out of time....mark each cylinder 1-6 with a pencil.

Fire a 6 shot group using #1 cylinder.......and so on through the remaining 5. Shoot off of a rest with bags to eliminate most of the human error.

Try some quality (fedral, remington) jacketed ammo.

BTW 125gr Rem GS 357's shoot into 1/2" @ 25yds out of my 686. I dont see how yours could shoot like crap all of a sudden unless it was ammo related or the gun was droped on its cylinder.

Good luck

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh man. I just bought a 686P (7-rd cylinder), to be delivered soon. I hope this isn't a harbringer of things to come. [:\]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh man. I just bought a 686P (7-rd cylinder), to be delivered soon. I hope this isn't a harbringer of things to come. [:\]

slt223's problem is the exception to the rule with the 686.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to have a 686 that was a really good shooter. It was second only to my old Colt Gold Cup National Match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top