Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2001 6:58:38 AM EDT
I shot my 686 at the range last night and it's accuracy was pretty bad...AT 15 YARDS! I fired 40 rounds of PMC 158gr. .357 and they went all over the place. This has never happened before. I thought Maybe it was me since I haven't fired it in about four months. I loaded up the HK USP .45 and made a silver dollar hole in the head of the target with twenty rounds.

This is where it gets interesting...now confident of my marksmanship, I place ONE round in the cylinder of the 686 and it went straight through the 10 ring of the target. I then fully loaded the cylinder, and the accuracey was back to garbage. The cylinder has a little play in it, but nothing worse than any other S&W I've ever handled. The bore is like a mirror with absolutely no leading. Any ideas why this revolver can't shoot worth a damn when its cylinder is fully loaded. BTW, this has never been an issue in previous trips to the range.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:23:56 AM EDT
Have you tried different ammo yet? I've never gotten real good accuracy with 158gr ammo. I stick with the 125gr & have real good results there. Also have a different shooter try the gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:07:16 AM EDT
This seems to be a new problem. I doubt it is the ammo. 158 grain is the prefered bullet size more 357 mag shooting. My guess is there is a problem with the yoke. Maybe a hairline crack or something. I wouldn't screw with it. If you are sure it is not you then send it out for a tuneup.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:34:59 AM EDT
Sounds like an ammo problem. Soft lead bullets and magnum velocity perform poorly. You state that there wasnt any lead in the bore. So I assume you were shooting lead.......

Try this to see if your revolver is out of time....mark each cylinder 1-6 with a pencil.

Fire a 6 shot group using #1 cylinder.......and so on through the remaining 5. Shoot off of a rest with bags to eliminate most of the human error.

Try some quality (fedral, remington) jacketed ammo.

BTW 125gr Rem GS 357's shoot into 1/2" @ 25yds out of my 686. I dont see how yours could shoot like crap all of a sudden unless it was ammo related or the gun was droped on its cylinder.

Good luck

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:16:55 PM EDT
Oh man. I just bought a 686P (7-rd cylinder), to be delivered soon. I hope this isn't a harbringer of things to come. [:\]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:16:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Oh man. I just bought a 686P (7-rd cylinder), to be delivered soon. I hope this isn't a harbringer of things to come. [:\]

slt223's problem is the exception to the rule with the 686.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:59:26 PM EDT
I used to have a 686 that was a really good shooter. It was second only to my old Colt Gold Cup National Match.
Top Top