Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2001 2:16:59 PM EDT
I ordered a new Mini 14 stainless today for $399.  I have read some of the bad stories on this board about the guns accuracy, but I just wanted it to tinker around with.  The guy I bought the gun from said he was sold out of the Ranch Rifle version and only had the Mini-14 .223 left.  He said the Ranch Rifle came with rings and mounts.  He later told me that it would be hard to mount a scope on the regular Mini-14 version.  I thought they were the same gun, but without the rings and mounts?  Why did he say I would have a hard time mounting a scope on this rifle.  BTW, this will be my first Ruger Mini-14.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure the Mini-14 .223 is drilled and tapped for mounts? If it is then it should be easy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem mounting a scope. I have an extra mount I might be willing to sell you. I have both versions and no problems with either.  [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ranch Rifle is milled to accept Ruger rings. The Mini-14 will require an aftermarket mount such as the one made by B Square.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The B-Square will mount a scope to the Mini-14 well, and is commonly available.

The Ranch Rifle has rings included, but also has  the receiver machined to accept those rings, no separate mount needed.

The Ranch Rifle has the ejector redesigned to eject the brass more to the side.  The regular Mini-14 ejects more upwardly, at such an angle as to usually strike the windage turret of your scope.

A common trick, rotate the scope 90 degrees to the left, and now the elevation turret becomes your windage adjustment, and vice versa.  The ejected brass will miss the scope.

The Choate Pistol Grip Stock (which is a non-folder, a folder being illegal on a post-ban gun) will greatly improve accuracy of the Mini-14.  This stock fits the rifle very tightly.  The loose wood OEM stock is the cause of much of the Mini's accuracy problems.  Unless you want to spend a lot of money having a heavy barrel put on, about the limit of what you can get will be 1.5"-2" with the Choat stock and good scope.  This is fine for a lightweight, inexpensive carbine, which is all the Mini-14 was ever intended to be.

Do not get a scope with objective larger than 40mm, or you will need very high rings to mount it.  A low power, 2.5x to 4x fixed power scope, will do well on the Mini.

I would point out that the AR-15 A1, with its light barrel, was at best, a 3MOA rifle.

Precision Mag, aka PMI, is your best bet for a large capacity mag.  Their 20, 30, and 40 round mags function flawlessly.  I prefer the 30's, as they fit the same webgear as my M16 USGI mags.

I made a neat cheekpiece from foam water pipe insulation, some tie-wraps, and a piece of black leather grain vinyl, strapped to the buttstock of the Choate stock.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
to be honest that gun is not a match shhoter or capable of excellent accuracy.So a scope really wouldnt be a necesity.I do own one and would say that it is a good plinker and funner to shoot with open sights mine is a standard model and my dad owns a ranch model i have shot his with a scope and didnt like it as much as mine.Btw i dont mean to bag on the accuracy or intend to make it sound like a bad gun. i think it is a great gun and alot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Just to add my 2cents, I had a B-square for mine and I hated it. I went back to the open sights because it sucked so bad.

For another $150 you could of built an AR.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
USNA91, yes, the Choate pistol grip stock is a polymer (Zytel) stock that is excellent.  Comes in both black and camo.  There is a matching handguard available for each.  Though the stock black handguard will look OK with the black version, I prefer the Choate handguard.

http://www.deltaforce.com/

for Mini-14, Ranch, and Mini-30:

Item # CM070112--Black Mini-14/30 $69.95  
Item # CM070113--Camo Mini-14/30 $74.95

Item # CM070204--Ruger Mini-14 & Mini-30 Black $14.95  
Item # CM070205--Ruger Mini-14 & Mini-30 Camo $19.95

Choate also makes a conventional shaped polymer stock, at Delta:

CM070140--Black Mini-14/30

Some Minis come with a black/gray laminated stock that is very nice looking. But good looks aren't everything.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh... one important detail!!!  If you mount a scope on a regular Mini-14 (not the Ranch), you will have a little problem.  On the Ranch Rifle, the gas block travels to the rear and is buffered by the special design of the rifle at the rear of the recoil spring... that little disk shaped device (buffer assy).  On the regular Mini, the gas block strikes the front of the receiver, imparting a sharp blow to the rifle.  This sudden shock will damage some scopes, sometimes breaking the crosshairs.

You can buy one of those little blue rubber buffers (Shok-buff), or you can make your own.  I made mine before they were commercially availabe.

Using a piece of 3/32" thick neoprene gasket material, I cut a small rectangle about 3/4" square.  In the middle of this I punched a small hole to allow it to be placed on the lower front of the receiver, with the recoil spring guide rod plugged into it to hold it in place.  Upon firing, the gasblock strikes this rubber buffer instead metal to metal directly.  This still allows enough rearward movement of the action to  operate correctly, and will stop further scope damage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I would avoid the blue shok-buff.  I had one on mine and it caused malfunctions all the time.  It would not let the bolt travel far enough to the rear to properly eject and then feed another round.  I made it work by using a belt sander and slimming it down by about 1/2.  Save money and make  your own.  Good Luck Joe
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#14]
USNA91:

the "gorgeous" stock on your friend's "older" mini-14 is what came with the gun.  I remember seeing mini-14s and mini-30s with these nice wood stocks about 10 or 11 years ago, well maybe 8-10 years ago.  Anyway, I like them too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I had one of the first ranch rifles and it came with a Walnut stock and a recoil pad. from the factory. It was awsome and it shot better than the ones I see now at the range. My buddy bought it, had an 5" AR slip over flash hider brazed on at 16.5" and it sits in his "bug out bag" with an leupold 3X on it. The added weight barrel really feels good.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I am going to be buying a Mini 14 ranch as soon as my dealer gets one in stock, but I was going for the SS SYN stock would I be better to buy one with the wood stock and swap in a choate synthetic? COCKED and Locked is that a 20rd mag in your gun?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't worry about putting a scope on it unless it's a Ranch Rifle. Then only because the rear peep is so fragile. None of the Minis I have had shot any better with a scope on them than they did with irons. Scopes are a waste of time on them if you are looking for accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
You might want to take a look at ChiefAJ.com for information.  He did a basic work over on a 14 and a 30 for me and both will shoot 1 inch at 100 with cheap ammo. Been a few years but cost today should be less than 200.00 without scope and mount.  I was more than pleased with the workmanship and the results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top