Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 8:18:32 AM EDT
I have wanted one of these for quite some time now. Finally, I found one new in box for a reasonable price....$900.  Unfortunately, the cash flow is a little low. Do I bite the bullet and get it or pass and hope I find another in the same condition and similar price later down the road????
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about a Delta Elite 10mm?  If so, they are not real easy to find (especially NIB).  However, that seems to be a bit high priced...but then again, I have never been in the market for one either.

I would THINK that $750 or so would be more reasonable.  Maybe others here could shed some light on what the market price is on these.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope..I am talking about the Colt Delta Gold Cup 10MM.  It is a more expensive version of a Delta Elite.  Basically it is a Delta Elite with the features of a Gold Cup.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#3]
$900 for a NIB Delta Gold Cup is a pretty decent buy. I would most likely buy one myself if I came across one now at that price. They seem to be a bit pricier in Gun List. I don't think a NIB Delta GC will be that common a find. If you get it, a call to Wolff Springs would be a good idea. Maybe some shock buffs...

I had a Springfield Armory Omega 10mm,  6" ported longslide, a few years back. Liked the cartridge, the gun  was so-so. Required some tinkering to get it to run.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, I just looked up the Delta Gold Cup in the latest Gun Traders Guide.  Shows a fair market value of $550 blued, $635 SS.  I presume these prices are for average condition used guns?  $900 seems a little steep.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#5]
A neighbor picked up an excellent (90-95%) Delta Gold Cup maybe four years ago for $500. I thought that sounded like a pretty good deal; it included an extra magazine and a box of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want one bad...buy it....doubtful you will find another one...especially new.....the price is in line.....SOMEONE will pay it.........
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I am kinda inclined to buy it. This one is stainless which makes the book value about $900.  Typically I don't pay book value and I would love to talk the guy down.  The only problem is the guy doesn't want to sell it.  He thinks he is stealing money from me at his price.  The lucky bastard bought it a few years ago for $550.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a NEW gold cup(ss) (45) 5 yrs ago for 750...and a used delta for 425 (blue)....convince him to sell it to you for 750...you both make out..........
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I think that may only be about $100 too high.

A scarce gun NIB, & around here at least, anything with COLT on it has gottne sky high & scarce.

I never see Delta's (Gold Cup or otherwise) Mustangs or Double Eagles anymore.  

I've seen plenty of 70 series Gold Cups go for a grand.

Didn't make many Gold Cup Delta's at all did they ???????
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#10]
No....and I wish I had invested in a matched pair...like I had an idea to do......
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
No they didn't make many of them. They are relatively rare and the ones I have seen NIB have gone for about a grand.  Colt made a bunch of other 10mm on the same Delta plateform.  My personal favorite is the Colt Combat Elite 10/40.  In quality it is between a Gold Cup and a standard Delta.  The great thing about them is they have interchangeable barrels.  10mm and 40S&W.  I can get one of them NIB for $1200 but that is out of my price range.  To be honest this Delta Gold Cup is too much for me right now, but I want one so bad I may have to bite the bullet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A scarce gun NIB, & around here at least, anything with COLT on it has gottne sky high & scarce.

I haven't seen any new Colt products in the gun stores for awhile because Colt is having real management and financial problems.  I believe on their website www.colt.com/colt/ that they are now only producing the 1911 and Pythons(someone else posted that they cost $1,200 NIB from their custom shop).  There is an interview in Guns Magazine with CEO of Colt, and he had grand plans for Colt, at this point thats all, and he he don't know how long its going to take him to straighten the company out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A scarce gun NIB, & around here at least, anything with COLT on it has gotten sky high & scarce.

I haven't seen any new Colt products in the gun stores for awhile because Colt is having real management and financial problems.  I believe on their website www.colt.com/colt/ that they are now only producing the 1911 and Pythons(someone else posted that they cost $1,200 NIB from their custom shop).  There is an interview in Guns Magazine with CEO of Colt, and he had grand plans for Colt, at this point thats all, and he he don't know how long its going to take him to straighten the company out.

I was really referring to older choice guns.

The Delta's, Double Eagles & all the .380's
have been discontinued for sometime.

I think even the Python was discontinued for a while wasn't it ????
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A scarce gun NIB, & around here at least, anything with COLT on it has gotten sky high & scarce.

I was really referring to older choice guns.

The Delta's, Double Eagles & all the .380's
have been discontinued for sometime.

I think even the Python was discontinued for a while wasn't it ????

The Colt Python is new, current production from the Colt Custom shop.  Not worth $1,200 at least to me. I think there are much better guns to buy at that price.

Just a word of caution & warning: If you get a 10mm 1911 be careful, my local indoor shooting range had one for a rental. It lasted 5,000 rounds of factory ammo before the slide cracked behind the ejection port.  I think they repaired it and later(I don't know when) the frame cracked.  The 10mm even with the downloaded ammo currently available is still too hot for the classic 1911 frame.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't necessarily think the 10MM is too hot for the 1911, especially with some of the conversions available that are more potent.  That being said, I have also hear of similar problems.  I look at it this way:  Guns are like cars and everyone gets a lemon once in a while no matter what the brand/configuration.  If and when I get this pistol I will put a heavier spring in it to try and reduce wear and tear on the frame.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't necessarily think the 10MM is too hot for the 1911, especially with some of the conversions available that are more potent.  That being said, I have also hear of similar problems.  I look at it this way:  Guns are like cars and everyone gets a lemon once in a while no matter what the brand/configuration.  If and when I get this pistol I will put a heavier spring in it to try and reduce wear and tear on the frame.

Well, the way I get around the too hot ammo problem is to handload 10mm Auto ammo.  I currently load mine about the same as 45ACP level or a little below, which kinda defeats the purpose of a 10mm though, but then if you want to you can load it to heart stopping levels too.

Oh yeah, keep in mind that the Colt 10mm's also has the smaller breach face on the slide, so it is not possible to convert to standard 45ACP.

I use the Kings, Glendale Calif. 10mm springs and SS guide rod with 2 rubber buffers in order to help prevent excessive pounding on the frame because you are shooting a semi-collectible firearm.

For me I don't think the current CEO of Colt LTGEN Wm M. Keys, USMC (retired) is going to be able to pull Colt out of the slump.  To me it is a daunting task that took Colt years to get into, and its going to take years to get out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top