Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2001 6:32:59 AM EDT
When tactical shotguns are discussed, the ones that usually come to mind are the Mossberg 590, Remington 870 series, Benelli, and maybe a couple others.Anyone have any experience with the Winchester Defender? Seen this one in stores and it appears to be the cheapest one in this category. Haven't heard any pro/con about it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If it ejects and feeds everytime you rack the slide, if it goes boom everytime you pull the trigger then it doesn't get much better as far as shotguns go. The Winchester Defender will do all of those things.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Have given this some thought myself.  I sold the Benelli M1 Tactical because I couldn't see having that kind of money tied up in a shotgun that I couldn't shoot sporting clays with.  I think the Winchester Defender would make an excellent home defense shotgun, especially since it is the only shotgun that is supposed to reliably cycle the Aguila Mini-shells and thirteen rounds of six pellet 00 doesn't sound to bad.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one for years as a home defense gun. Rencently traded it, but only to upgrade to a Beretta 1201FP. I fully intend to pick another Defender 1300 this sumer. I chose it because my local LEOs (when I lived in PRK)used it in their patrol cars. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for over ten years now.  Great shotgun!  It is one of the smoothest operating pumps out there.  They can easily handle 2 3/4" as well as 3" mag shells (however, it does kick like a mule with the 3" ones).  The only downside (at least in my humble opinion) is the fact that the receiver is made of aluminum and the trigger guard plastic.  But hey, you can't beat the price for what you get overall.  I'd highly recommend one to anyone.

hsld.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Pardon my ignorance Rabbit9, but can you shed some more info on the Aguila Mini-shells you mentioned?  Haven't heard of them before. Where
can I get box to try out?
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The action disengages and the forearm begins to move rearward without user intervention, immediately after a shot has been fired.  This contributes to making this gun the fastest-cycling pump action I've ever seen.  It shoots well and feels right.  The only downside IMO is that the hicap tube won't allow you to easily switch to a longer barrel for waterfowling.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 1300's, a 12 and a 20 (not defenders, though), and the 20 has one of the smoothest slides I have ever handled. The 12 isn't quite as smooth, but close. I haven't shot that many different pump actions but IMHO the 1300 is FAST. While deer hunting in a group I have had people comment on how fast my follow up shots were. Their adverising about it being a fast gun isn't just marketing BS. Also, they don't have that damn rattling/loose forearm of the Mossbergs, which I HATE. I will not buy a Mossberg pump because of that. I plan on buying a defender in the future.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
i bought the FN Police shotgun. it is a defender 1300 stamped FN but for the extra $50 you get rifle sights and 3 choke tubes. i feel i got a good deal for $389
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance Rabbit9, but can you shed some more info on the Aguila Mini-shells you mentioned?  Haven't heard of them before. Where
can I get box to try out?

Here is a link to mini shells www.aguilaammo.com/minishells.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top