Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 10:03:09 AM EDT
Just curious.....

Do you carry your CCW pistol with a round chambered?

For the record, I carry a Glock 27 with a round chambered. (Federal Hydra-Shocks) I have the grip extenstions on the mags, bringing them to 10 rounds each. That gives me a total load of 21 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Why carry an unready gun?
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Chambered is still a little scary for me, but on safety with the hammer down on my HP-35 I am comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Cocked and locked, baby. I carry weapons, not tire irons. Of course, practice includes swiping the safety off during draw.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Chambered! However; this means I can't do that ever so cool rack the slide thing like they do in the movies!!

docmac86
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Always!
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Neither yet, but my application is in the works.  

Once I get it, I'll probably start off without one in the pipe just until I can get comfortable with it, then I'll probably start.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Always with one in the hole.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock 33 with a Speer Gold Dot in the tube.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]
One in the chanber, ten in the mag and at least 17 more on my body in a spare.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You have to ask?

Of course, one is always chambered!!

But, just like in the movies, every time I present the pistol from the holster, or if anybody makes a sudden move I hear this metallic "Chi-chik" sound. Hmmmm?
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Not having one chambered is like having gas cans full of gas in the trunk of your car but none in the tank.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
An unloaded pistol is an expensive rock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My first thought?
Silly question.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Defendant:  "When I saw him come at me I pulled my pistol, racked the slide, took aim, and fired."

Prosecutor:  "So your pistol wasn't loaded at the beginning of the encounter?"

Defendant:  "No."

Prosecutor:  "So you had enough time to draw your pistol, load it, aim it, and fire, but you didn't have enough time to run away and call the police?"

Defendant:  "I was in danger, this big guy with a knife was coming at me; I had to shoot!"

Prosecutor:  "I'm sure you didn't think that maybe you could have run away and let the authorities deal with this instead of killing a man.  Since you had the time to load the pistol you had time to try to get away without killing anybody."
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
CCW?  What's that??
Residing in one of the few non-CCW states.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
CCW?  What's that??

ArmaLiter

Since I have a CCW I should know.  I believe CCW stands for "concealed-carry-weapon."
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#19]
We were watching TV one night and there was a 'the gun just went off' story on.
I took out my bedside gun, and made my wife stare at it with a mean look. Nope, no shooting. And there is even a round in the chamber.
Even tried yelling at it really loud. Darn thing just wouldn't go off. (odd, it always fires at the range every time it is supposed to, and the only thing I do different is pull that little trigger lever thing)
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Y2K2 New Year's Resolution:  Get my CCW this year!

Carry piece:  Ruger SP101, .357.  Five-shot cylinder, all full.

If I need more than five, I wasn't paying close enough attention to start with.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We were watching TV one night and there was a 'the gun just went off' story on.
I took out my bedside gun, and made my wife stare at it with a mean look. Nope, no shooting. And there is even a round in the chamber.
Even tried yelling at it really loud. Darn thing just wouldn't go off. (odd, it always fires at the range every time it is supposed to, and the only thing I do different is pull that little trigger lever thing)

H. Shooter,
About 1993 while living in Memphis I put a loaded Beretta 92 to the ultimate test.
First of all it was Saturday night and I'd just gotten a new W.E.B. Griffin book and had picked-up two bottles of the finest red wine (with a screw-off cap) available.
Placed the pistol and wine and book on the table and started reading about midnight and read until about 5:00 AM.
I don't know about other Saturday nights but that pistol never left the table and couldn't have killed anyone that night.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Some people carry two without one in the chamber, because if they are close to people someone can disarm them.  A scary possibility when in crowds.  The idea is that whoever saw fit to steal your gun isn't smart enough to rack the slide AND take the safety off before you toast him (w/ gun number 2).
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I think Rainier's post is about a back-up piece with a chambered round and the primary handgun without a chambered round.

With a concealed weapon in a crowd, who's going to know you're carrying? If people are close to you and they try to disarm you it must indicate you have the gun out and in a defensive situation, and those who are trying to grab the gun are probably the ones' you were going to shoot anyway, aren't they?

I believe the best option is to have a primary pistol and a back-up gun with chambered rounds ready to shoot. Any gun grab of the primary must be dealt with by drawing and shooting the back-up piece.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't carry, so I'm not an expert.  Seems to me that if your piece is well hidden, you aren't at risk, but if you are spotted, there could be a problem.  I think this method is actually of the most use to those who open carry.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Who the hell carries w/o a round chambered?!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Kimber
Ultra CDP
cocked and locked
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#27]
HK USP .45 Compact...cocked and locked.

QS
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I carry with 5, 6, 7, sometimes even 8 rounds chambered. ANd no SAFETY, either.

The only practical reason I have ever seen for NOT carrying an auto with a round in the chamber are some of the cheap little .22s with a safety lever so small and difficult to operate, it was easier to cycle the slide. Not a prime choice for a carry gun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
An old Texas Sherriff was observed carrying his holstered 1911 cocked and unlocked, with a leather thong tied around the grip safety.  When asked, "Isn't that kind of dangerous?", he replied, "Damned right it is!  No sense in carrying the thing if it weren't dangerous!"

-Troy

I believe it was a Texas Ranger.

The only handgun I would carry with one in the tube and safety ON is a 1911. All double action handguns would be loaded/chambered and the safety would be used as a "decocker" only if it had that capability. Any time I un-holster the safety goes on unless it is for shooting, self defense, practice etc. the safety remains on until the weapon returns to the holster.

Of cousrse YMMV, and there are exceptions such as older revolvers that should be carried with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.  

Quoted:
The only practical reason I have ever seen for NOT carrying an auto with a round in the chamber are some of the cheap little .22s with a safety lever so small and difficult to operate, it was easier to cycle the slide. Not a prime choice for a carry gun.

Friends don't let Friends own/use/carry cheap guns.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok, I admit it, I carry with an empty chamber. The main reason for this is I am in the habit of taking my gun off in the evening and setting it on the night stand. I have 3 small children in my house and I am not willing to risk the chance of forgeting to clear one of my Glocks and having one of my kids get a hold of the pistol. I will say that my kids to this day have not touched any of my guns without permission, But I am going to play it on the safe side and just practice drawing and chambering the round on its way up onto target.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:30:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ok, I admit it, I carry with an empty chamber. The main reason for this is I am in the habit of taking my gun off in the evening and setting it on the night stand. I have 3 small children in my house and I am not willing to risk the chance of forgeting to clear one of my Glocks and having one of my kids get a hold of the pistol. I will say that my kids to this day have not touched any of my guns without permission, But I am going to play it on the safe side and just practice drawing and chambering the round on its way up onto target.

2 words of advice Gun Vault
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't think I would trust one of those to open when needed(Murphy's Law).
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I don't think I would trust one of those to open when needed(Murphy's Law).

I understand that. I have a gun vault, and so far it has worked flawlessly. If you punch in the wrong combo it takes a millisecond to clear it and it is fast. It has a ton of possible combos as well. If I had it to do over I would by one of the more expensive ones with an interior light ans 120v with battery back up, I have a battery only one. It also has a key back-up, I'm not disciplined enough to always have my keys, but i'm sure others are.

I like the gun-vault, it's secure and fast.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Glock 19, chamber empty.

Spambo
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#35]
All weapons are always loaded.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#36]
OK, THAT DEPENDS ,

with my kimber ultra 45 i carry loaded chamber and hammer down when i am going back and forth to work , store, etc, but if i am going into a high threat enviroment (late night store trips, shady part of town etc) i will cock and lock.

if i am carrying my glock 19, its the same way. i too have a kid and i will not leave a glock loaded in the house, even though he has been told the rights and wrongs of hand guns, kids will forget something sometime.

before we had my son i carry my pistols loaded and ready to go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Gas station attendants.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I carry my Para Ordnance P13 one in the chamber and my S&W 442 five in the chamber for backup.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Beretta Cougar 8000F, Kel-Tec P-32.  Both have rounds chambered.  Otherwise you have a throwing weapon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Glock 30 1 in pipe full mag and spare.
I encourage you to go to an IDPA match. http://idpa.com/clubs/clublistnew.htm
Lots of fun and you get to shoot your gun with a lot of like minded people. You don't have to be a memeber In my first experience I didn't even score in the upper half. But I walked away knowing that I could draw think and shoot quickly. Builds confidence under completely controlled (Safety) conditions.
 In-laws were kind enough to buy me a Deluxe gunvault as a gift.  Cheap insurance.  even has a motion detector in it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Carrying empty is a very good way to lose a gun fight...

Cg..
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Cocked and Locked, baby...I was taught that it's like carrying a empty weapon if there is nothing in the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#43]
What's a chamber????

Actually, I want to hear from the ones that voted they do NOT carry chambered.  Wassup with that?  I do not understand the logic of carrying concealed, and not having a real weapon when you need it.

James
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CCW?  What's that??

ArmaLiter

Since I have a CCW I should know.  I believe CCW stands for "concealed-carry-weapon."

5subslr5, I know what CCW stands for. I was just being sarcastic to the fact that in IL, no one can have CCW. So CCW is non-existent to me unless I move to a state that allows CCW.

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Rumor has it that the Mossad carries w/o a round chambered. They have a drill that they do where the slide rack is part of the draw stroke.

Any Mossad agents out there that can substantiate this?

BTW, I carry loaded. Mostly a G19 with 15 rds of 147 hydra shock.

Unloaded guns scare me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top