BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/23/2001 6:45:45 AM EDT
TNN - No!

OLN - Si!

Big News for American Shooter... we're moving to a new network.

After suffering the slings and slugs of the TNN New York Managers (the latest: running a beer commercial during a gun show) We're delighted to be moving to a new, Gun Friendly, Network - Outdoor Life Network or OLN.

Note: Change in Days and Times ******

The shows will appear twice each Friday Evening at 8:30PM and 11:30PM Eastern time and again Sunday mornings at 8:00AM, year round. Keep subtracting an hour as you move West through the timezones and everybody has a decent time to watch... even in Hawaii.

The first run of shows will be the series from 2001 that were so hard to find as TNN played "hide the show" this season.

Then we're running a series built from our greatest hits: "Best of American Shooter" Those will take us to July. Then there may be a set of new shows, depending on advertiser support that may materialize in this new more visible position on cable and the satallites.

The bad news is that OLN is not currently as widely distributed as TNN, however that will be changing rapidly in the next two years. The parent company of OLN is Comcast... and Comcast just bought (merged) ATT's cable systems. Together with Comcast's cable systems, the merged group is the largest system of cable operations in the nation. So it will get easier to see OLN if you don't currently get it.

Or this could be the final reason you need to kiss cable good-bye and get a mini-dish. OLN is on all the dish systems.

By the way, you may find some pleasure in hearing that the NY TNN Managers have discovered the "PoP" thing didn't work. It just ran off the valuable audience TNN used to have... and they're now losing their ass trying to be another Wrestling - Startrek - Baywatch - MTV.

But for us, it's a happy new year on a new gun friendly network that starts the first FRIDAY in January.

Best wishes to all of you for your holidays,

Jim Scoutten
American Shooter

(Shooting Glasses)

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations Jim!

I look forward to being able to see your show each week.  Bring us some great new shows.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have OLN on my directv dish! Thanks Jim, and see you there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Great news, thanks for the update.

Wl
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
But I don't have the Outdoor Life Network![>(]

Hopefully, my cable company will pick it up one day, or else I'll have to switch to a dish.

Thanks for the update Mr. Scoutten!

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But I don't have the Outdoor Life Network![>(]

Hopefully, my cable company will pick it up one day, or else I'll have to switch to a dish.

ArmaLiter

Dish is good.  Dish is cheaper than most cable systems.  But, that thing about Merging with AT&T Cable is going to explode OLN to a huge number of homes in the next year.  

Regards,

Jim Scoutten  (I'm "Jim" not "Mr." <G>)
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
How long until the TNN idiots get rid of the hunting shows?

Now that they have found POP!!

Good thing as I hate country music and was only keeping it for American Shooter and the Hunting shows

OLN here I come.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I got Direct TV
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Jim for keeping us up to date.

I love the show!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]
OHHHHHH!  I don't have OLN yet.   I hope I get it with my AT&T cable!  I am so sick of "PoP".  Even the hunting shows don't come on as frequently, or like your show Jim, at different times.  I can only seem to catch a few at wierd times.  Hope to see your show soon Jim!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]
It's been a pain finding AS on TNN. I have AT&T cable, so I'll be looking forward to getting OLN and my AS fix once again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Great news, Jim! You put on a really fine show. "keep 'em in the 10ring!"
BTW Hi all, from a new guy. Great forum and am looking forward to learning more from all of you. Thanks for all the info!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to upgrade to the 150 channel package on Dish to get OLN, but when I do, I'm gonna fire off a letter to OLN telling them EXACTLY why I got their program and what they have to do to keep me. Jim, what is the budget for the show? Staying the same? LAter.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Great news that made my day, along with the fact that I have OLN via DirecTV.  Will have to reset my Scout to look for it!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Right now with our AT&T analog cable, we don't have it, but I think it may be on the digital AT&T. I'll have to ask.  But for the price I'm going to have to look into the dish.  Not much interested in movies or tons of music so I've never seriously considered the dish, but with even analog cable getting so pricy, I may have to make the jump as there are a lot of these specialty channels on dish that I'm interested in.

Congratulations Jim!  "POP" goes the TNN network!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#16]
My decision to go dish just got a easier!
[<|:d>]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Jim, what is the budget for the show? Staying the same?

Jason:

I don't want to make you guys too smart or one of you will take my job... but the deal with OLN is called a "barter".  We provide the shows free to them, they get to sell some of the commercials and we get to sell some of the commercials.  We have to earn enough money from the sale of our commercials to cover the costs of producing new shows.  But... because OLN is currently small with less audience than TNN, the price of their commercials is much less. So that limits what we can charge for commercials that we are selling.  So it is unclear at the moment whether we can charge our advertisers enough money to be able to produce a full schedule of new shows in 2002.

But you guys are part of the solution... as word gets out and more shooters start watching then the value of the commercials will go up and we will be able to do more production.

So we got some growing to do all over again in our tenth year of American Shooter.

Jim Scoutten

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Jim, what do you hear about the future of the auto related shows on TNN, including your own?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the update Jim.  I am glad to hear you are moving of TNN (The Nazi Network).  

I am even more glad that I have dish now.  Not to mention the better sports coverage. You guys at AS deserved better.  Gun-Tech RULES!  

Jim, are there any upcomming shows that features our favorite black rifle?  Jim, if you ever need a sidekick or someone to carry your range bag, look me up, I have references.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Jim, please check your email.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the update Jim. Outdoor Life is on AT&T digital cable, but it's part of the extended basic package, so I will be upgrading my service next week.

Here's looking at ten more years of a great show!

Happy holidays and keep 'em in the 10-ring.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Jim, what do you hear about the future of the auto related shows on TNN, including your own?

All our Car Shows (C&D TV, Trucks, Horsepower) are "cleared" (see, you're getting the jargon down) for 2002, but not with as many plays per weekend as in the past.  And all the shows appear on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings to make room for movies and Baywatch and stuff.

So all we know is the shows have contracts for 2002, which is better than not having a place to be for 2002.

Jim

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Jim, are there any upcomming shows that features our favorite black rifle?

Def:

The second show of the series, which will re-run on January 13th on OLN, is on our experience taking the new shooter's clinic in service rifle competition.  You'll see quite a few AR's on the line and learn something about the ones in legal use for DCM competition.  However... I personally was shooting my Garand and son John was shooting our M1A.  That's cause we're big bang traditionalists who are fascinated with WW-II and Korean War vintage stuff.

But I do have a pre-ban Sporter in the gun safe that now wearing an M-4 upper and a collapsing tube stock.  Just so you know I can find my way around here.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
(the latest: running a beer commercial during a gun show)

Yeah, I saw that Miller commercial this morning...

Hey Jim!  How about coming to our very own Black Rifle Convention?!  You could possibly pick up more sponsors, plus you'd get the word out to an even larger audience!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=78944
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=78011
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=80172

I'm gonna call my cable company and tell them to add OLN to their lineup.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Great to hear im going to write a letter to OLN right now to thank them.

Paper
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Gee Thanks Jim......because of you, now I have to go buy a dish!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#28]
What you really need to do, Jim, is make the show an hour long!!!!!!  I'm glad your moving....I was sick of the musical time slots, especially the latest...8:00 am on Saturdays....just too damn early for the weekend!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hey Jim!  How about coming to our very own Black Rifle Convention?!  You could possibly pick up more sponsors, plus you'd get the word out to an even larger audience!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=80172

I'll second that request! Essp. for those of us who can't make it to the convention.

Great to hear that y'all found a place that won't play around with your time slot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#30]
That is great news. I was wondering what was going on.  Finally going to be able to watch American Shooter again.  Thanks for letting all or us here at AR15.com know about the plans.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Glad to hear I'll be able to watch again. I haven't been able to see it since I left AK.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I watched the show (not easy) last Sat about the Steel Challenge at Lake Piru Ca.
I was hoping you`d mention the 10th grader that placed very high and walked away with 3 grand. That kind of thing would help get kids shooting more and help in their college fund, which KC is currently doing. I shoot IPSC there and was very happy to see familiar faces on the tube.
I will send a note to my cable company about getting the OLN. I get my cable modem and tv thru them. (Charter Cable in Southern California.
Thanks for an excellent show that I look forward to seeing each weekend if I`m around.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the info Jim!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#35]
To all you guys considering a dish...

JUST DO IT!!!

I cancelled my $42 a month Comcast cable,(No pay channels either) after the "cable nazis" wanted to gain entry to my home to "inspect my wires"
I told them: "GO POUND SAND UP YOUR A$$"

Put the old "rabbit ears" on top of the TV for a few weeks, and was stuck with 1 channel...

Finally, last week I went into a Radio Shack to look around, and got myself a Direct TV dish system...
Only cost me $25, and there is a $25 mail-in rebate to boot...
Only requirement is 12 months continuous service...
I think this is some "holiday special" going on right now...

I get 135 channels + 31 pay channels + all my local Philly stations for $81.00 a month...(First 6 months is only $66)
That's about 3 times the channels I had with cable...
PLUS, the dish's picture quality is AMAZING...Very crystal clear...

If you only want basic, it's $31.99 a month...
+$5.99 a month for your local stations...

Oh, by the way...

I now get the "OLN" channel...

Maybe I'll finally get to see my first epsode of....

"American AR15 Shooter"  
Maybe a few American Shooter cameras at the BR convention could show the rest of the public and media, that these rifles and thier owners are not "EVIL" like they've been stereotyped...

Just a thought...

...ART
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Jim:  It's great to hear that you are moving to a network that is better for your show.  However, I don't get OLN.  That's not so great news.  My cable company are a bunch of money-grubbing cheaters (what cable company isn't), they've had the same line up of networks for 6 years and haven't added any new networks (no new ones in 6 years!!!) despite multiple petitions for SciFi and History Channel International to be added.

I'm just moaning and groaning.  It's great to hear you are moving to a gun-friendly network.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#37]
It's not 'POP' it's POOP.

Ever since they started that white-trash wrestle shit I began to seldom watch it, only American shooter and the hunting shows were any good.  I like country, but not on any station that my kids can't watch!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey Jim, now that we are on a first name bases, how about incorporating some celebrity shooters into the mix.

One of my favorite shows in the 60s and 70s was Kurt Gowdys show, where TV, movie and sports celebs were out in the sticks with Kurt and his friends, shootin the bull, hunting, fishin and havin a good ole time.

Casual stuff, maybe discussing firearms performance, a little trick shootin with Munden,
and some celebs who are competitive shooters.

I think this kind of stuff will increase your following, and propel American Shooter into
prime time.

Thanks for the heads up, good luck with the OLN, and keep it in the ten ring.

Just had to say it.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
To all you guys considering a dish...

JUST DO IT!!!

Finally, last week I went into a Radio Shack to look around, and got myself a Direct TV dish system...
Only cost me $25, and there is a $25 mail-in rebate to boot...
Only requirement is 12 months continuous service...
I think this is some "holiday special" going on right now...

I get 135 channels + 31 pay channels + all my local Philly stations for $81.00 a month...(First 6 months is only $66)
That's about 3 times the channels I had with cable...
PLUS, the dish's picture quality is AMAZING...Very crystal clear...

...ART

Art:

It's not my job to sell you guys mini-dishes, but I've got a Dish Network 150 dual satellite dish on my roof and it's wired to three remote boxes in the basement... those feed the cable system inside the house with each box modulated to a different open channel position for each of the 10 TVs in the house. (four in the office alone) Plus there are two security cameras feeding two other channel positions and the local TV channels are all on their normal positions on each set coming off the big TV antenna on the roof.  (You got all that so far?)

The remotes for the satellite boxes in the basement are FM, not Infra-red, so what you do here is get yourself a satellite remote, then pick the TV you want to watch, tune to that satellite box's assigned channel on the TV, and control the satellite box with the wireless FM remote.  (Still with me?)

One of the Satellite boxes is assigned to the 12 year old.  He can't tune in the adult crap with his box.  

The next satellite box is assigned to the College student.  He can tune any crap he wants, but his box won't order a pay-per-view movie.  

The third box is for the Mrs. and me and we can do what we want with that one. (Yes, I'm the only one who knows the security codes.)

Now, the punchline here is that Dish Network charges about $50 bucks a month for the collection of channels we have, including about 18 different movie channels. That's for the first box.  

The second box is $8.95 a month and tunes everything you selected for the first box.  

And the third and all additional boxes you might want to buy are FREE each month for all the programming selected for the first box.

So... once you get the service you can expand to an amazing degree for about what you are likely paying for local cable.  

I actually had some guys called "Mr. Satellite" build the house system.  They specialize in building the systems for sports bars.  But much of this you can do yourself if you get into it.

And what Art has noticed about the clarity is that you're getting digital delivery from the satellite to your dish, not analog like in basic cable systems.

That's more than you ever wanted to know about wiring up your house, but the Satellite Dish folks are being very aggressive right now because cable is once again hiking their rates.

Jim

Why four TVs in the home office, you ask?

Because we can watch up to four versions of the hunt for Bin Laden simultaneously.  I'm an ex-TV News guy and I like to watch the networks race each other.  I also like to see who's liberal bias is showing.

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I for one am glad you found a home for your show it has been a challange lately to see it because of time changes. I have really enjoyed the show and feel that it may expose people to the good side of firearm ownership. Keep up the good work you have a great job that includes two of my major hobbies cars and guns. Good luck with the new lineup and happy holidays.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw this coming when they changed format!!!  Anyway, I didn't realize that this was 10 years!!!  Anyone have 10 years of recorded episodes that I could borrow?
Keep up the good work, Sir!!
Tim
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Now, I know why the show hasn't been on 6PM each Sunday.  I'm glad that American Shooter will be back on schedule and as far as TNN is concern, that's pretty sad that they decided to do that to the show.  I really enjoy watching the show.  I currently don't have the channel your talking about, but I'm in Comcast country, so I should have it soon.  Thanks for the info, Jim.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hey Jim, now that we are on a first name bases, how about incorporating some celebrity shooters into the mix.

What, you don't think Bob Munden is a celebrity? I've seen him in person and his shooting is pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Jim Glad to hear you are going to be back on a regular scehdule agian ! Let the other boards (falfiles,battlerifles .com AKnet etc)know as well-- I know there are many fans out there who have missed the show as I have!
If Any of you NY guys have trouble with what to get or need help setting up a satellite system let me know I have tons of installation stuff around RG6, fittings, splitters, LNB's extra dishes and mounts, as well as satellite finders and signal meters (and commercial suppliers) I put these things in for people all the time and have built some systems like Jim described above.
Also we got a letter from direct TV today expanding the local broadcast channels.
And keep in mind the local cable co is just reselling that same satellite signal anyway most head ends have DSS dishes in them now run to multiple recievers and then modulators for individual output channels. They used to use 2meter and 3meter dishes but they are obsolete now and they can pull more off one DSS dish.
BTW pay per views are cheaper and come out quicker on DSS than cable
consider :
(this is how my system is set up)
32 premium movie channels
100 Pay per view channels about 25 movies at any given time overlapping times and in diffrent formats -widescreen directors cut etc also all day tickets--pay once watch as mant times as you want for 24 hours. PPV's usually run $3.99.
7 (soon to be 12) local broadcast affiliates --abc nbc cbs etc.
31 digital music channels (music only in all formats)
30 sports channels not including ESPN 1,2 3, etc
4-5 "adult" channels
The weather channel ,Msnbc, Fnn, CNN, headline news,CNN international,Allnews channel,FNC,International newschanel,foxnews,cnbc,mnbc, bloomberg,c-span 1&2, ETC ETC
7 music video channels MTV 1&2, VH1,VH1C,CMT,BET,and MUCH,
50 general interest --includes Discovery 1,2&3,History ,Sci-fi,disney,AMC, TCM,too many to list.
we pay $80 bucks a month --But we get every thing they have. Packages start at $50 bucks monthly depending upon what you want to get.
compared to cable its so much better .
And you get OLN.
Cheers and A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!  

OH all that and I can still find nothing good to watch !!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Jim....a huge thank you.  The show is outstanding.  It is as if America has found its old values again.  I always feel better after watching it.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#46]
dang.....I didnt know jim posted here...  American Shooter is GREAT!  I envy you jim.  Get to play with ALL those guns and get PAID to do it.  AAARRRGGG!!!!  

Great show, Great info and Great cast.

Thanks for the above jim.

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I saw this coming when they changed format!!!  Anyway, I didn't realize that this was 10 years!!!  Anyone have 10 years of recorded episodes that I could borrow?
Keep up the good work, Sir!!
Tim

Tim,
What we need is for them to release all 10 years in a DVD box set. I would be all over that like white on rice!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#48]
 All right Jim!! I was so sick of TNN messing with the best show on TV. Now I have to find a source for OLN. I have one of those big old dishes that still works fine.Keep up the excellent work!
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Jim -
As a viewer that has been watching for over 8 years, THANKS for the update. Being a DirecTV user, this made my day! Ditto what was said earlier about the Black Rifle Convention - this would be a great way to put a friendly face on us "evil assault weapons" owners. And you might have a great time too!
Thanks again and may you and yours have a great Christmas season!

Troy Gustafson
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#50]
OUTSTANDING!

All those in favor of Jim attending the Black Rifle Convention?  All those opposed don't let the door hit you on the fanny as you're being thrown out!  Motion carried.

PLEASE, Jim?  Pretty Please?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top