Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2001 6:37:49 AM EDT
I love bullpups but I'm left-eye dominant and I shoot left-handed (even though I write with my right hand). I also shoot pool and do other things left-handed and I bowl ambidextrously.

I was just wondering if Bushmaster makes a left-handed M-17S. Would they if I asked them to? How much would it cost if they made it from scratch? Would it cost any more than a right-handed one? If so, why?

This would also go for the Ruger Mini-14 bullpup except that it's a conversion and all Mini-14s have right-side ejection ports. There's nothing they can do about that, so they're off the hook. But the M-17S is a different case.

Ruger makes a left-handed M-77 Mk. II - and that's a bolt-action! Right-handed bolt-actions can still be operated by a southpaw shooter, although it's awkward. There isn't a standard bullpup in existence that can by operated left-handed. That being the case, wouldn't it make sense for all rifle manufacturers who make bullpups to make just as many left-handed models as they make right-handed? And at the same cost?!

DISGRUNTLED SOUTHPAW SHOOTERS UNITE!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
it sure doesn't sound like a hard thing to do...  a different bolt would probably be about all you would need (and an ejection port).  I'll bet the reason you don't see it is it's not worth their time to build a rifle only 2-3 people would buy... (afterall, how many right handed shooters buy M17s???  They probably don't sell 500 a year)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I see how they think. Well, I've got news for them.

WE ARE NOT EXPENDABLE!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

WE ARE NOT EXPENDABLE!!

like Steve Martin said in The Jerk  "oh, it's a profit angle"...

(ps: I have a couple of M17s and like them, but then again, I'm right handed)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was just wondering if Bushmaster makes a left-handed M-17S.

No

Would they if I asked them to?

No

How much would it cost if they made it from scratch?

Mucho Dinero.  You want to pay for the cost study to get an exact figure?

Would it cost any more than a right-handed one? If so, why?

Of course it would, DUH!  It would have to be extensively customized to support the changes and new parts would have to be built.  This costs time (labor is EXPENSIVE) and materials.  

Even if they mass produced it (not likely) the market would be so small they would have to charge more to recoup the R&D and tooling costs for the 2nd varient.  Left handed people are a very small minority, its just not cost effective especially if you look at how few M17s they sell.

That is why the British only produce a right handed version of their bullpup.  They force the lefty's to shoot right handed so they only have to produce 1 design and they ALL operate the same way.

Send it to Kurt Wala (of Kurt's Kustom in the Industry section) and he can do wonders.  Put on a weaver rail and an Aimpoint Comp M/XD.  With the Aimpoint you will have no problems shooting righty. (With my Reflex I shoot almost as good from my weak side as I do from my strong side)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WE ARE NOT EXPENDABLE!!

How do you equate not producing a product for a very tiny market where there would be essential zero profit with "left handed people are expendable"??

Did you forget your prozac or something?

If you want a left handed bullpup so bad then design and build one yourself.  This is still the US and you have the right to do that.  Or you could cough up the dough and have a custom shopt build/modify one for you.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
in all fairness to HH is sure does seem like an easy conversion to LH eject... different bolt head and an ejection port on the opposite side should be all it takes.  

Isn't that how it's done with the Aug? Swap bolt.  Move ejection port cover.  Done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Try the "Leftorium"  I hear Flanders has everything left handed there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Try the "Leftorium"  I hear Flanders has everything left handed there.

I thought he went out of business...
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
After Maud died, he franchised his operation.  Visit a Leftorium near you!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got too much of the South in me to go through all that hastle (we Rebs don't like to hastle around with stuff). I'd rather go with an M-96. It isn't a bullpup but at least it's convertable - and top-fed to boot! I love top-feds! Gravity-assisted, less likely to jam, easier to shoot prone - a genuinely good idea.

To convert the M-96 to top-fed, all you do is invert the receiver, barrel assembly, and heat shield - and change out the sights to off-set ones. AMBIDEXTROUS BLISS!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I was under the impression the top feed option wasn't in production...  is it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen pics of it in Shotgun News. I like the top-fed Expeditionary Carbine version.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
havoc

i am lucky in that i can shoot ambi.  though left handed - i have trained myself to shoot right handed.  i am also left eye dominant and have compensated for that as well.  so i tend to shoot rifle right handed, and pistol left handed.  this helps alot with fatigue when alot of rounds are being expended.

if you are hankering for a bullpup - if you can afford a usr steyr - do that.  otherwise wait for the supposed arrival of a us made tavor tr21.  this however may never happen.

i have a m17s 'k' that was the first protype shortie made by kkf and it's a blast to shoot.  not light enough to be truely excellent though.

anyway - to answer your question,  you can convert the m17 somewhat simply - kkf could most likely do it.  talk to him 1st and compare what it could cost for a usr and make a choice

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top