Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2001 10:38:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2001 10:31:39 AM EDT by monkeyman]
Article from the NY Post. Note the typical ignorance of newspaper writers.

"The cops will get Mini-14 assault rifles and MP5 submachine guns - semi-automatics capable of firing 30-round clips - as well as 12-gauge shotguns."

Huh?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12152001/news/regionalnews/7282.htm

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:08:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2001 11:09:17 AM EDT by jsr75]
www.nypost.com/seven/12152001/news/regionalnews/7282.htm

Sheesh! And all this time I had no idea that I was shooting a 9mm PLUS 12-guage.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:23:43 AM EDT
Why? are they planning to go hunt down Osama? What's next? An M60E??

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:46:00 PM EDT

"The cops will get Mini-14 assault rifles and MP5 submachine guns - semi-automatics capable of firing 30-round clips - as well as 12-gauge shotguns."

You've got to love these clueless reporters... The mini-14 is not select-fire and therefore not an assault rifle. The MP-5 IS select-fire and therefore not a semi-automatic. The MP-5 does NOT fire from 30-round clips, it fires from 30-round magazines. AND... this is not news. The NYPD had MP-5's before this. There was footage from 9/11 with a bunch of NYPD SWAT guys suiting up with their MP-5's. Also, the NYPD has had 12-gauge shotguns probably for the last 100+ years.

This reporter must have been hard up for a story but the misinformed NYC residents probably don't know a clip from a magazine anyway.

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:56:49 PM EDT
In the same article:

"The equally powerful MP5 submachine gun, made by Heckler and Koch of Germany, fires 9 mm ammunition and also can handle a 30-bullet clip.

Ironically, incoming Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly lobbied long and hard against the expanded use of the 9 mm handguns when he was commissioner under Mayor David Dinkins, insisting that the standard .38 revolver was sufficient firepower."

The standard .38 is sufficient firepower? Is he serious?

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:44:13 PM EDT

"The equally powerful MP5 submachine gun, made by Heckler and Koch of Germany, fires 9 mm ammunition and also can handle a 30-bullet clip.

I found this quite amusing. I have this vision of 30 bullets, sans brass, powder and primers, held together by a paper clip. These liberal reports don't realize that bullets and rounds are not the same thing.

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:48:57 PM EDT
Um...what is the difference between a clip and a magazine? And what is the difference between a round and a bullet?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:16:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By monkeyman:
Article from the NY Post. Note the typical ignorance of newspaper writers.

" capable of firing 30-round clips - as well as 12-gauge shotguns."

Huh?

I would like to see a 30-round clip pass through a 9mm barrel and hit something, be kind of interesting to see. Suppose they will demo this to the reporters?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:59:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By John91498:
Um...what is the difference between a clip and a magazine? And what is the difference between a round and a bullet?

A bullet is the little chunk of lead and copper that leaves the barrel at high velocity when you pull the trigger. A loaded round contains a bullet, case, powder and primer. While commonly interchanged (as in misinformed reporters), they are not the same and anyone in the gun culture should know the difference.

A Clip holds rounds together for loading into a magazine. The magazine is where the rounds are stored in the weapon when not chambered. The magazine can be either detachable (as in an AR-15) or not (as in a Garand). A Magazine and a Clip are not the same. These 2 terms are also usually incorrectly interchanged.

Any questions?

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:10:15 AM EDT
Also, I have seen references to the number of rounds contained in the "chamber" (sic), when the reporter did not know what a MAGAZINE was called.

I must explain the difference between clips and mags, well, way too often. I now just smile and nod.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:52:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sons_of_Liberty:

You've got to love these clueless reporters... The mini-14 is not select-fire and therefore not an assault rifle. The MP-5 IS select-fire and therefore not a semi-automatic. The MP-5 does NOT fire from 30-round clips, it fires from 30-round magazines. AND... this is not news. The NYPD had MP-5's before this. There was footage from 9/11 with a bunch of NYPD SWAT guys suiting up with their MP-5's. Also, the NYPD has had 12-gauge shotguns probably for the last 100+ years.

This reporter must have been hard up for a story but the misinformed NYC residents probably don't know a clip from a magazine anyway.

Regards,
SOL

If the Mini's are ACS556 type they are select fire.

John
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:40:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sons_of_Liberty:

Originally Posted By John91498:

A bullet is the little chunk of lead and copper that leaves the barrel at high velocity when you pull the trigger. A loaded round contains a bullet, case, powder and primer. While commonly interchanged (as in misinformed reporters), they are not the same and anyone in the gun culture should know the difference.

A Clip holds rounds together for loading into a magazine. The magazine is where the rounds are stored in the weapon when not chambered. The magazine can be either detachable (as in an AR-15) or not (as in a Garand). A Magazine and a Clip are not the same. These 2 terms are also usually incorrectly interchanged.

Any questions?

Regards,
SOL

Bad info, garand uses a clip. Its is inserted totally inside the weapon, therefore it is a clip. {from marine guidebook}
GG
Top Top