Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 11:04:02 AM EDT
I know its class III but what are the rules...anyone???
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I belive you have to go through the steps as if you were buying a full-auto weapon. Fill out the forms, $200 tax, etc, etc.

Check your local laws. I belive there are some places that may allow full-auto but not silencers or vice versa. Check with the local PD before you start getting ready to buy anything.

You may also want to try subguns.com, there are a lot of folks over there who might be able to help you.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Im in OK and Im LEO I have wanted asilencer for my AR for a while now and Ill do it with my tax return. Its legal in OK.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im in OK and Im LEO I have wanted asilencer for my AR for a while now and Ill do it with my tax return. Its legal in OK.

Are you going to get a Gemtech?

www.gem-tech.com/
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Assuming its legal in your state (and I'm fairly certain it is in OK), you merely have to find a supressor you want, and fill out a BATF form 4.  You'll also need pictures, fingerprints and a check to the Treasury Dept for $200.  The hard part is getting the local CLEO (Cheif Law Enforcement Officer) signoff.  You have to go to the sheriff, cheif of police, or a judge in the county of your residence and get them to sign off on the form.  If you can get the local CLEO signoff, its a relatively easy process, it just takes a while to actually get the supressor in your hands.

Now the mechanics of how to find and buy one.  If you have a local class 3 dealer or there is an individual in your state who has a supressor you want to buy, you do it direct on the form 4.  If you want to buy a supressor from an individual or a dealer in another state, you have to run it through a dealer in your state first.  The individual in another state will have to do a form 4 to the dealer in your state (complete with the $200 tax).  From your dealer you will do another form 4 to get it into your hands.  If its coming from another dealer or a manufacturer in another state, they'll transfer it tax free to the dealer in your state on a form 3 - then you'll do your form 4.   Form 3's generall run a few weeks, while form 4's run a couple months (so if you buy from an individual in another state, you might not get your supressor for 6 months or so).

GemTech is the Rolls Royce of supressors.  They're expensive, but they're damn good, and GemTech sets the standard for excellence in customer service.  You have a problem with one of their products, they will make it good; no fuss, no muss.

There's a lot of good small manufacturers too.  About the best place to find something is subguns.biggerhammer.net/nfaad.cgi
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]
BURN, is a sound suppressor legal in Oklahoma only with a Form 4 ??
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Your questions really have been answered but to clarify the best way to do this is as follows....

1.  Call your local CLEO to see if they will sign a Form 4 for a NFA Silencer.  When you do so, advise them that they are ONLY signing that to their knowledge their is nothing in the local regulations that would make such a supressor illegal.

2.  Find a silencer you like.  I have been looking at them for a while and I have learned that there are many options and prices to consider.  I would strongly recommend that you try to find a local C3 dealer that can demo a can for you before you buy it.

3.  Once you choose a can.... TRY to find it IN-STATE to greatly reduce your costs and waite.  Then simply buy the can and get the paperwork rolling!

I am fairly confident that my 1st silencer will be for the the 223/22LR but I have also looked int a silencer for my Glock 21 (45 ACP) and 308!  The 223 can sounds most versitile and I only really need one can!

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I dont know about a form 4 but it is only Class III there is no state regulations as far as i can find.....

I work both for the Sheriff's Dept (as a reserve)he probably wont sign off on it..

But I work full time for a Judge..he will sign off on it.....hehe im so lucky
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless this suppressor is going to be Duty issue from the Police Dept, then the fact that you are an officer of any type will have no bearing on the process at the federal level.

You can form 1 a suppressor and manuf. it yourself or buy one on form 4.

Only NFA I dealer I know in Okalahoma is

Don Smith [email protected] phone 405 414 0094

He posts sometimes in the full auto section of this board.

Give him a contact and he will probably know what CLEO in your area signs forms for transfer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Yep. Just got my form 4 signed on Friday. Now the waiting begins.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless this suppressor is going to be Duty issue from the Police Dept, then the fact that you are an officer of any type will have no bearing on the process at the federal level.

You can form 1 a suppressor and manuf. it yourself or buy one on form 4.

Only NFA I dealer I know in Okalahoma is

Don Smith [email protected] phone 405 414 0094

He posts sometimes in the full auto section of this board.

Give him a contact and he will probably know what CLEO in your area signs forms for transfer.

read my above post being I dont claim being LEO will help any I was refering to who would Sign off on my form 4 I work for a Judge and he will sign off on it......but if a silencer is just treated as a class III with no "SPECIAL" restrictions I will get one for my M4orgery. For personnal not Duty use.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top