Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2001 4:36:39 PM EDT
Today at the gunshow I ran accross one of these for about $600. Are they any good? I tried to run a search but could not find any info. Are they reliable? Accurate? Can you use the mag well as a front grip? I know nothing about these other than what they look like. Any info will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a hit and miss with the Carbon 15 firearms. Go the industry forums for further info on the firearm in question.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried to run the search in Industry Forums. I could only search the last three months and searched "carbon". I only got three responses and nothing about the firearm in question. Did I screw up the search? If so, what did I do wrong?
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, you didn't screw up... the threads dissappear.  I own a carbon-15 rifle and am happy with it, now.  It took 3 trips to the factory, but I think the bugs have been worked out.  The last time was on that board the consensus was that almost everyone was happy with them, but no one really trusted it to function 100%.   That will only come in time. Mine has been working great lately, with over 1k of UMC through it.  I can't recall anyone posting about a pistol, we all had rifles, but if you can get him down to $550, I'd do it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The posts that were deleted concerned a member that bought a Carbon 15 and the first or second shot at the rage, the bolt snapped in half.

The Carbon uses propriatary parts so they are not interchangeable with the Milspec AR bplts.

When he posted how pissed he was, a slew of other Carbon 15 owners came out of the woodwork and, the vast, vast, vast majority were relating their dissatisfaction (the term "POS" was used frequently).

There are quite a few happy owners I'm sure but 3 trips to the factory was mentioned alot in the deleted post as well.

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I keep seeing these in SGN and thinking I want to buy one, then I think about the ballistics.  Does anyone know if it would be legal to put a 10.5 " barrel on one?  Could you stay under the minimum weight?  Are the barrels proprietary, or could you use any AR barrel?  What is included in minimum weight, the pistol without optic or optic rail?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The posts that were deleted concerned a member that bought a Carbon 15 and the first or second shot at the rage, the bolt snapped in half.

The Carbon uses propriatary parts so they are not interchangeable with the Milspec AR bplts.

When he posted how pissed he was, a slew of other Carbon 15 owners came out of the woodwork and, the vast, vast, vast majority were relating their dissatisfaction (the term "POS" was used frequently).

There are quite a few happy owners I'm sure but 3 trips to the factory was mentioned alot in the deleted post as well.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

That was ME!!!

The goddamn bolt broke in half on the 2nd shot out of the gun...
It broke right at the big hole...
I had pics of it awhile ago, but cleaned up files and deleted them...

I did use a USGI bolt in place of the Prof Ord one, I just had to do a lot of "custom" fitting...

The locking lugs on the P.O. system are radiused and rounded...
All I did was chamfer the lugs on the USGI bolt, and it worked fine...

I also had to do a lot of work inside the upper receiver, to get it to run 100%...
I opened up the ejection port to match my Bushy (it's smaller than my Bushmaster's)
The empties were getting hung up inside the upper, and wouldn't eject...
All this work seemed to square it away...I shot about 10 or 12 mags through it without incident...

Only other problem, is the mag well is WAY TOO BIG...
Thermold mags fit & function nice, but the Aluminum USGI mags need to be rocked forward in order for them to feed...
There is about .060" to much Frt/RR opening for the mags...
I checked all these dimensions against my Bushmaster, which has ALWAYS run 100%...

Also, Proffessional Ordnance would not replace the defective bolt, without ALL my warranty/personal info...
So, I just took it upon myself to make the P.O.S. work...

Anybody want more in depth info on my successful repairs, just drop an E-mail, I'd be happy to assist...  

...ART
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I keep seeing these in SGN and thinking I want to buy one, then I think about the ballistics.  Does anyone know if it would be legal to put a 10.5 " barrel on one?  Could you stay under the minimum weight?  Are the barrels proprietary, or could you use any AR barrel?  What is included in minimum weight, the pistol without optic or optic rail?

I tried...
The barrels won't interchange...

I don't remember exactly all the problems, but I remember trying, and saying " NO FRIGGIN WAY !!! "

The Outside threads on the POI upper receiver are different than a Milspec upper, so the barrel nut from POI must be used with a USGI barrel, but it won't fit past the taper at the chamber end of the barrel...
Apparently, the POI barrels are much smaller O.D. at that end...

I didn't fool with it for too long...(gave up)
Maybe someone else knows better ???

Don't have any idea on the weight issue...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top