Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 3:22:46 PM EDT
Today out at my range, I had an issue with the last round in the mag.  Twice on consecutive magazine loads and after firing all the rounds in the mag, the last round was left loose in the chamber just rattling around, but the rifle's bolt was cocked back like it had already fired the last round.  I had fired ~ 20 rounds flawlessly, but for some reason it stopped before it got to that last round, and that last round was just sitting there rolling around.

This hasn't happened before, and it didn't happen again after about 2 or 3 more mags of firing.

I have a Colt AR-15 6601 post-ban, and I was using Center Industries USGI 30 round magazine with a black follower.  I was firing Federal American Eagle 223s.

Is this a "follower" issue?  If so, might the infamous "green follower" correct this?

TIA,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Today out at my range, I had an issue with the last round in the mag.  Twice on consecutive magazine loads and after firing all the rounds in the mag, the last round was left loose in the chamber just rattling around, but the rifle's bolt was cocked back like it had already fired the last round.  I had fired ~ 20 rounds flawlessly, but for some reason it stopped before it got to that last round, and that last round was just sitting there rolling around.

This hasn't happened before, and it didn't happen again after about 2 or 3 more mags of firing.

I have a Colt AR-15 6601 post-ban, and I was using Center Industries USGI 30 round magazine with a black follower.  I was firing Federal American Eagle 223s.

Is this a "follower" issue?  If so, might the infamous "green follower" correct this?

TIA,

- Snacko

Does not sound mechanically possible.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
But never-the-less, it did happen  :-(

- Snacko
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this problem once. It turned out to be a weak spring/worn follower/worn mag lips. In my case everything being so loose, it just couldn't hold on to that last one. I'm sure some more high tech explanations are on the way, but that's what was wrong with mine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
mechanically maybe .... if as the bolt came back to eject the fired case, and strip the last round, the last round "slipped" from the mag and the follower caught the bolt catch prior to stripping the last round, locking the carrier  back, leaving the last round to float into the chamber from recoil, and unharrassed by the bolt. ......... could happen but very unusual

Makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top