Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 12:44:20 PM EDT
Any pheasant hunters around?

What loads do you use?

I usually load up #6 shot for my hunts, but these mexican birds are much smarter than their american counterparts and my shots have been long range. I tried some of my pa's #5 loads, which seems to work fine, but my grandpa swears by 3" #4 loads. Never used it before, but I'm thinking of loading a few 2 3/4inch 12gauge rounds with #4 to try out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I went the day before thanksgiving and I shot two birds, used federal 3 inch #2's. Knocked em down just fine. And if I needed to take a shot at a duck I could of done that too
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
#2 shot, eh... copper-plated or pure lead? I know copperplated stuff gets less deformed, but as far as killing power, I can't see how there would be too much of a difference.

What choke do you use with those #2s?

Up in imperial valley, when I use #6, I always used improved cylinder as it was usually close range... the dog points em out, I flush it out and that's all she wrote. Down south of Mexacali, I used a modified choke, originally with the #6. But the birds there are smart. If a hen takes off in front of you, 2 or 3 more will take off farther down. And sure enough, at the end of the alf-alfa (spellcheck) feild, WAY out of range, up goes a rooster. Most of the shots I make are behind me down there. The little sob's aboutface, then try to fly behind me... number 6s kill them, but not efficently.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got back from a hunt on the eastern shore of MD. We shot pheasant, quail, and chucker. We used #8 and some #7 1/2. We got all our birds, but it seems I am hunting on the light side of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, forgot to add that they were steel. Thats the reason i could take a shot at waterfowl.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just got back from a hunt on the eastern shore of MD. We shot pheasant, quail, and chucker. We used #8 and some #7 1/2. We got all our birds, but it seems I am hunting on the light side of the spectrum.

So was I, till I got my mexican license. Why is #5 shot considered an oddball round, yet #4 sells like hotcakes? Makes no sense, I tellz ya'.

Edited to add:
Steel vs. Copperplate vs. Lead shot.
Which is best for what? (Pheasant in particular)
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Copper plated shot does not drag feathers into the wound like lead.  If you are on the small side of the recommended shot size, going to copper plated will improve penetration.  Of course steel will never drag feathers.

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I load #4, 1 3/8 lead {private land of course}SD is an anti lead state,  white wad, AA casings,109 Winchester primer. with 540 Winchester powder. Velosity is 1330 fps. Not sure off hand weight of powder Just go according to bushing chart.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]

SD is an anti lead state

You poor bastard... So steel is the only thing you can use on public land, eh?

Makes me wonder, Does anyone know if anyone tried to make tungsten birdshot? Just a thought...
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]
12 years ago I was living in S.W. Nebraska and used 12 ga., 2½" 4 shot lead for pheasant. I never had any problems though almost everybody else liked the same load with 6 shot better. This was the old Duck and Pheasant loads.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

SD is an anti lead state

You poor bastard... So steel is the only thing you can use on public land, eh?

Makes me wonder, Does anyone know if anyone tried to make tungsten birdshot? Just a thought...

Evidently your way behind times or real wet behind the ears. Tungstun has been out for at least 15 years. Rather expensive. Also there is Bismuth still pretty testy. Copper plated? for over 20 years but but was not excepted because the core was lead. So just use steel and wear out you barrel.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, then that would make me 4yo or younger when it came out. Honestly, I've never heard of anyone selling tungstun birdshot 'til now.

edited for spelling
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top