Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2001 5:00:54 AM EDT
I posted this on the Handgun site and got no replies so here it is.  I was going to go with a stainless Springfield Armory loaded model but the kicker there was the fact that SA installs those silly internal locks on their pistols.  The Kimber Custom Classic was a few dollars cheaper but was not stainless except for the barrel.  I'm very satisfied with it, esspecially its accuracy.  I have a Glock 19 & a Beretta 92FS and this Kimber will make an execellent edition to my very small pistol collection.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the club, and congrats on the Kimber!  Not much traffic on the handgun forums sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the Classic Target Stainless (I think that's what they call it) and it rocks.  You'll like yours too, congrats.

Smart move IMHO steering away from newfangled and superfluous "safety" junk tacked on at the last minute.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The silly lock being the firing pin safety interlock (plunger and spring)?  Takes less time to remove than type this message, but I see no liabilities in leaving it in place as long as it's not adding 5# to the trigger pull.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  Hey Chuck, I thought that safety lock on the SA would be easily replaced, but I wasn't sure and the sales guy didn't know either so I went with the Kimber.  I'm not sorry I did either, I really like the pistol alot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always wanted a Kimber Custom. Can I have it when you tired of it?

---Chris
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one of the first Kimber Compacts, based only on the writings from gun rags like Guns & Ammo, Handguns, Soldier Of Fortune etc..  I was the first person I knew who owned one.  The first time I took it to the range, I put 6 rounds into a sub 3" group at 25 yards.  The guy shooting a $2500 rebuilt Colt next to me, almost through his pistol down range after he saw what I did after taking it out of the box for the first time.  I let 6 friends shoot my Kimber Compact and now 7 friends own a total of 8 Kimber 1911 variants.  Our picture is hanging in the Kimber Custom Shop and we got VIP treatment when the NRA convention was in Charlotte, NC two years ago.  All I can say is that I wished that I had bought one sooner!  The Springfield Armory pistols are supposed to be nice, but the results that the Kimber pistols that I have shot was extraordinary right out of the box.  Why buy another 1911?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
welcome the the club

i've owned both a Kimber custom classic and a Kimber custom stainless. i still have the stainless and love it. would'nt trade it for any other 1911...unless its a les bear...so i can sell it and buy two Kimber's

Kimber shootin' lib
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Wise choice uncleSAM! Wise indeed!

My Gold Combat has yet to disappoint me!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]

I wish I had of gone with the Kimber when I was in your position. I bought my Springfield about a month before they started adding all of the "loaded" features to their standard gun.
I had to have some work done to the gun to smooth it out. It is a nice piece, but the guys in my club that had Kimbers had a lot less problems than the Springfield guys.

It took a $75 trigger job, some minor fitting, and replacing a couple crappy parts to make it the equal to an out of the box Kimber. And it still has the 2 piece barrel.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a kimber Custom Stainless Le About 2 years ago best damn 1911, I have ever shot or owned, Shoots POA all the time, Can,t miss with the thing Damn fine piece of iron.    
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:30:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a Kimber Stainless Pro carry and It's the most accurate handgun I own. This includes Colt, Ruger, Springfield, and Beretta.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Kimber for me too.
Have had one for 3 years now, great shooting.
It's a classic in stainless.
Did purchase a comp barrel and have the trigger work done by nelson ford in phoenix. Eve3n better now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#13]
You made a good choice SAM
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got an Eclipse, Gold Match and a blue Custom II.  Neeldless to say, I like them.  Just remember, if anything happens to break send it back to Kimber.  They have a great reputation for service.  I know of several people who, after 35K + rounds broke a part and sent the gun back to Kimber.  Kimber usually had the gun repaired and back to the owner within a week or so.  

Just one more reason to choose Kimber over Springfield.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#16]
HEY Troy! I got one of dem gunz!
I am one of those lucky people who bought a  Kimber Custom Classic. I eventually bought the .22 conversion kit and have a total of 5 mags for it. It's amazing how fast I can shoot through 100 rounds of .22. Actually, I fell deep in love with the .22 kit and sent my .45 parts to the BATF for proper disposal. There ain't a paper target or shotgun shell that can stand up against me and my Kimber .22! Overpenetration...HA! I laugh at the mere mention of the word! In fact, I plan on going back to Alaska and do a little Grizzly Bear hunting with this rig. Pump 5 mags of Genuine  Cyclone LR'S (total of 50 rounds!) in that poor bear and ... well, let's just say it ain't gonna be pretty!

WSmac
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#17]
   I've got a Stainless Gold Match, a Gold Combat, and a Pro CDP.  Every one of them is 100% reliable, shoot right to point of aim, and the CDP and the Gold Match are probably the most accurate .45's i've ever owned.  I've been a little disappointed by the accuracy of the Gold Combat, only because it doesn't put them all in one hole at 20 yds.  

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, 17 replies later and not a negative hit in the bunch.  I'm glad I went with the Kimber and I do like it alot.  Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me add one more to the list. I've got a Kimber Ultra CDP, and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the Lovely Bride a SS Gold Match for bullseye competition.  It's sweet out of the box.

All we did was checker the front strap and do a trigger job.  That trigger's so light and crisp now you really have to be careful.  Maybe 5 ounces.  Have to hold the trigger back when it's cocked to protect the sear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:11:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Got a Custom Stainless.  This bugger absolutely rocks!

You know, I have shot many .45's in my few short years on this earth and nothing (So Far) in the range of a stock .45 competes with my Kimber.

Sure wish I could go hicap one day...........
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I have to agree with the Kimber, I have a Springfield Loaded and a Kimber CDP. The Springfield is a sweet piece but I Love my Kimber!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top