Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2001 2:38:55 PM EDT
I do not know what a barrel crown is nor what it does. I do know that if you cut threads off a preban it needs crowned. Please explain this to me so I can further understand barrels.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The crown is a bevel cut surface on the bore at the muzzle.  I'm not sure what angle they are cut at, and if it differs for different calibers, but its purpose is to evenly distribute the exiting gasses against the base of the bullet as it leaves the barrle. If the crown is chipped, the gas escaping from the muzzle will not be evenly dissipated 360 degrees as it exits the bore.  This would apply more force to one side of the base of the slug than the other.  Obviously,  accuracy goes down the tubes under such circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I get it. I guess it's kinda commen sense. This AR crap is just a hobby of mine and I keep learning more and more. Thanks for the light.I shall now seek more light.
         Chitty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top