User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, and it has a safe, semi, and full, thumb selector, really changes the handling of the rifle, much easier to wrestle around.
View Quote

I feel like I speak for all of us when saying "can we see some pictures pretty please"?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I feel like I speak for all of us when saying "can we see some pictures pretty please"?
View Quote

Here is original configuration.  For competition shooting I swapped out the original wood with A2 parts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I don't have many pictures with the M37 trigger group, but you can see me in this video with some info.

DB2021 - BAR, 1911 & 1903A4 Springfield - Classic Division
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I just assumed your rifle was an OOW A1918 semi.

Using a real M1918 in competition is just so cool!  You’ve got style!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful. I had no idea they had become that expensive, but the cost makes sense for what goes into it.

Quoted:
Very nice, looks like a piece of history.

I never did see much use for the BAR in combat.  Very heavy, lots of recoil in full auto, not really a machine gun as not belt fed, slow mag changes so can't own the battlefield like a real MG.  The best thing about it was the magazine, which would have been great to have on the Garand.  

It was designed for WWI trench clearing, and was out of date by WWII.

But beautiful looking and a fine addition to a collection.
View Quote

Fantastic 1918 technology but dated by the late 1930s. Much like the .45 Thompson SMG variants.

Sort of an aside, but one of the byproducts of issuing the M1 as a service rifle was that Ordnance (and the US writ large) did not put as much effort into light automatic weapons development, or field the numbers of automatic weapons below the company level that you saw in contemporary armies (Japan not included- they were equipped like it was 1920).

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I regret not buying a pre-sample NESA when I had the opportunity.

Nice BARs, everybody!
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Last night as I was going to bed I received an emailed invoice from BMG for $1000 worth of .50 cal M2 parts. It was for someone in Texas with my last name. We got the snafu figured out, no big deal.

Then just as we were laughing about the mistake, he mentioned they have just received reproduction Browning M1918a2 Monopods in stock. As I have a monopod and my wife was already laying in bed waiting for me to turn the lights off, I didn’t ask the price.  Real monopods have been extremely rare to find and BMG says this is their first run ever of repro’s.

Mike Dozier in TN,  not the guy in TX, LOL

Edit, I found them:

BAR MONOPOD
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got an early one and enjoy shooting it quite a bit.  Gets gawker at the range.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Very nice, looks like a piece of history.

I never did see much use for the BAR in combat.  Very heavy, lots of recoil in full auto, not really a machine gun as not belt fed, slow mag changes so can't own the battlefield like a real MG.  The best thing about it was the magazine, which would have been great to have on the Garand.  

It was designed for WWI trench clearing, and was out of date by WWII.

But beautiful looking and a fine addition to a collection.
View Quote

Later light machineguns went w/ top mounted mags for an assistant gunner to change - the Brits even used the BREN in a tripod mount as a medium machinegun.  The BAR was always intended as an automatic rifle, and you will note the USMC has parked their belt-fed M249s & are using the HK piston AR in the automatic rifle role now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top