Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 11:07:07 AM EDT
Whole, or piece it out to recover as much investment as possible?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
"Custom"?  ARs are just an amalgamation of bolt-on parts.

I suppose it depends on how much stuff you have bolted on.  The odds of somebody else liking all the little doohickeys that you do and just having to have it is close to zero.  Parting it out would probably be your best option.

The above advice does not apply to factory-stock (or very close to factory-stock) configurations.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree. Hoping to learn from other's experience.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:36:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would say to part it out. Instead of finding that person who wants exactly what you wanted, you can part it out and sell the parts to multiple people.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Assuming used in the current market, a custom shop built by a well known may command a premium. A frankenbuild will always be significantly less then the value of its parts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
put it on armslist, make sure to say its custom about 87 times then ask for about 500% more than its actually worth.

that seems to be what everyone else does

seriously though, part it out, youll get more money most likely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I would list it whole, see what happens. I personally don't enjoy going to the post office for each individual thing to ship out, so would rather somebody buy the whole damn thing. That said, will be tough to get what you have into it, as I see frankenbuilds as worth about 80% of what the parts go for. who knows if you scratched/dinged/hurt something putting it together (not implying you have, but I know I have)
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whole, or piece it out to recover as much investment as possible?
View Quote

depends on the quality of parts, since you didn't list them ill assume junk so not that much.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Even if they're good quality parts, considering how may options are available for EVERY part these days, you're unlikely to nail the overall configuration for a prospective buyer.  Generally, though, the closer the configuration is to some basic vanilla configuration, the easier it is to sell the whole thing.
I mean, yeah, who wouldn't like to go to the post office once and be done with it?  But "custom" ( ) ARs aren't really a thing.

So, uh, whatcha got, OP?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
This was my 14.5 build.

Aero p receivers , jse barrel, cmc flat trigger, the pws brake, bcm stock, and a hybrid handgaurd from psa. The sights are obviously Daniel.

I wanted a PlayStation 4 so I sold all the accessories and got about $450 in 24 hours.

Attachment Attached File

I had an old KAC kit and got a set screw fsb, and went back to a kiss setup for several months.

Attachment Attached File

When I sold her it was the same save the carry handle chop. I got $650 for.the rifle plus a used tlr1 .

Attachment Attached File

I use the Facebook groups. Never had much of a problem moving items. Not even these days. The groups just have less members and are all pretty solid guys. It's the ONLY reason I still have an fb account.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#10]
In my experience...part it out.

Only to a point though. Both my recent guns were built around well-known and desired barrels, so I didn't have to take the upper apart. But scope, rings/mount, and any attachments were sold separately.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Try parting out the complete lower and complete upper. If that doesn't work, lower your prices or start selling major accessories separate like the rail and stock. If that doesn't work, lower your prices or tear down the entire rifle and sell individual pieces. If that doesn't work, lower your prices.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Part it out.  Custom is custom only to you.

I had a custom SPR build I did myself that I grew tired of.  Tried to sell the complete rifle and it was a dog.  Tried to sell the upper and it was a dog.

Parted out the rifle, and everything was gone in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Part it out.  If you have an optic installed, remove it regardless the grade and sell it separately.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had better luck parting it out, rarely do you find someone who wants or can afford the whole package all at once, more of a pain to ship it to various parts of the country but worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for parting out.
Sell the parts another builder might want, keep the stuff you might want.

No one will buy home built AR's. Not for a reasonable price anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top