Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 6:47:47 PM EDT
Title says it all. I would like to get a 308 with a folding stock. I was looking at the scar17 but the plastic lower is a turn off. I Have have a tavor SAR which is all plastic and it doesn't bother me. For some reason I just don't like the plastic lower with aluminum upper. Are there any folder 308s that don't have plastic receivers besides the xcr m?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A FAL PARA would be good.

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup love my DSA Para FAL. Of course the old school pre-ban IMI Galil is pretty sweet also, and you can tell they stole the FAL Para stock design, ha. The new IWI Galil isn't as sexy, but looks like a decent gun as well. Yeah the FN SCAR 17 is sweet, but the stock sucks. You can get aftermarket stocks though, but it'll be an expensive project.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to mention I had a para gal 18 inch for a bit. Was looking for anything else.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
BM59 Alpini
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
FAL PARA

Used to have one on the wall behind my desk at work - it was a Port Stanley souvenir that the regiment had brought back
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't SIG make something of that nature?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Basically I want scar without a plastic receiver but it may not an option. I wish Rob Arms wasn't such a crap shoot from what I read because the xcr m looks promising but I have read too many stories about crap service to invest my money.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
SIG 751 (but $4k ) Imported as pistol, so you can SBR and add Swiss stock. https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/SIG-751-SAPR/45-480013/
M14 + one of the folding stocks available for it. Anything that will accept an AR stock can be made folding.
PTR-91 with a Choate K folder, or M4 folder.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Saiga 308 with Zhukov stock or some other folder.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I almost recommended the Saiga, but their 20rd mags are stupid long. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Basically I want scar without a plastic receiver but it may not an option. I wish Rob Arms wasn't such a crap shoot from what I read because the xcr m looks promising but I have read too many stories about crap service to invest my money.
View Quote
What about a Handl lower for the SCAR?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
That might be an option. I could by scar and then by the new lower when I have available funds. I have been saving for quite some time for my next purchase becauseI have a budget I have to work within
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The plastic receiver is a none issue on the SCAR.  Otherwise I am pretty sure you would hear lots of complaints about it.  Even Henderson in Las Vegas says they have super high mileage SCARs and the receiver has never been an issue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You can put a folding stock on a PTR 91

(Not my pic)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Robinson Armament XCR-M is what you seek
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#16]
At least then you can convert it to 6.5 CM easily
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Galil ACE in 7.62 x 51
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I would also add to the list:

Galil or Galil Ace
DRD paratus
Sig 751
M1A with aftermarket stock
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the replies everyone. Got some thinking to do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Robinson Armament XCR-M is what you seek
View Quote
There are hardly any reviews on xcr m. Even harder to find are reviews about heavy use. I like the look and the concept of the rifle but have read so many horror stories of horrible CS that it turns me off big time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Vepr if you dont mind pricy mags. a bit tough to find right now though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are hardly any reviews on xcr m. Even harder to find are reviews about heavy use. I like the look and the concept of the rifle but have read so many horror stories of horrible CS that it turns me off big time.
View Quote
That's because the XCR-M is horrible.

If you want the best battle rifle on the market then the SCAR is it...quirks and all. The down sides are a shitty stock trigger and the 1:12 barrel. But it is one of the lightest, most compact, and most reliable battle rifles out there. They have FAL/G3 reliability with AR-10 accuracy. I've literally owned them all including an SR-25 EMC. The SCAR blows them all out of the water IMHO. I'm not a fanboy of any platform. I buy shit based on functionality and I'm subjective. At least try one before you buy anything. While I love the G3, I'm nostalgic about the M1A, and know the FAL is a good rifle...I owned them all (including a .308 AK and XCR-M)...I sold them all eventually and ended up with a SR-25. Loved that but it was pretty damn heavy. A SR-25 ACC may fit your bill if you removed the folding stock requirement, but in the end the SCAR does it all unless you're looking for something more tailored to the DMR role.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy shades of tan, Batman!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy shades of tan, Batman!
View Quote
The lighting sucks...just snapped a shitty IPotato picture...but it isn't too bad other than the receiver. That rifle is an earlier 17 with an almost green anodizing. It is what it is. I got it for a smoking deal and would have taken black or FDE for that price. In fact...even if it was pink I still would have picked it up at that price.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
IMHO, the service is good again with Holly working there.  She's no XCRMONGER, but my recent orders / inquiries with them have been met with very fast and helpful replies.  I just got an XCR L in 6.5 Grendel from them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The lighting sucks...just snapped a shitty IPotato picture...but it isn't too bad other than the receiver. That rifle is an earlier 17 with an almost green anodizing. It is what it is.
View Quote
They don't care if the shades match or not. That's how you can tell it's truly military grade. 

OP, I agree you should stop caring that the SCAR has a plastic lower. Glocks, HKs, SIGs, CZs, and other pistols have worked fine for decades with plastic frames. I have yet to melt a G36. The lower on a SCAR bears no real stress, unless you start whacking it against stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Actual shooter:  SCAR17
Range toy and overall goodness: Para FAL
Waste of time: G3 with aftermarket crap
Wallhanger only:  HAC-7

XCR-M is an unknown to me.  Looks great in concept... never handled.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I have had 2 SCAR rifles.  Neither did much for me and the accuracy was a joke.  I do own 8 XCR's though.  They have been great rifles for me.  I run one 3 gun.  Very solid.  Many here yap about the customer service at Robinson.  Most have never even talked with them, they just spew internet hearsay and rumor.  I have found their Customer service (Hollie)  to be top notch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have had 2 SCAR rifles.  Neither did much for me and the accuracy was a joke.  I do own 8 XCR's though.  They have been great rifles for me.  I run one 3 gun.  Very solid.  Many here yap about the customer service at Robinson.  Most have never even talked with them, they just spew internet hearsay and rumor.  I have found their Customer service (Hollie)  to be top notch.
View Quote
Really?  I was blown away by my SCARs accuracy.  
Right out of the box I was shooting a 12 inch steel plate using just the iron sights.  Not even sighted in.  

I fell even deeper in love with the thing right then.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's because the XCR-M is horrible.
View Quote
Care to elaborate? What admittedly few reports there are point to it being a fine rifle. I would like to hear more- supporting or to the contrary. My brother and I both have XCR-L's, and they kick the shit out of just about any other 5.56 rifle. I can't imagine the quality and performance being so disparate between the two.

As long as you aren't expecting match-level accuracy, the Para FAL is fun as hell on the range and durable as hell. I shoot mine a lot and take it on hikes in the desert.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't fuck around, everyone knows the SCAR-H is the ultimate rifle. It's not called the Sniper Support Weapon for no reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Get a SCAR and move on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#33]
BM59 Alpini,

Looks cool, really uncomfortable stock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate? What admittedly few reports there are point to it being a fine rifle. I would like to hear more- supporting or to the contrary. My brother and I both have XCR-L's, and they kick the shit out of just about any other 5.56 rifle. I can't imagine the quality and performance being so disparate between the two.

As long as you aren't expecting match-level accuracy, the Para FAL is fun as hell on the range and durable as hell. I shoot mine a lot and take it on hikes in the desert.
View Quote

Business partner is friends with Alex. He grabbed up two for far less than what they go for now. One had horrible accuracy (3-5moa with FGMM) and the other choked on LC M80 ball about 20% of the time. Both were fixed by RobArm...and then promptly sold. His QC just isn't there. I'm sure the ones that work are great. These weren't. Meanwhile my SCAR came with a better test target than my SR-25...and shoots better than any "battle rifle" should.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Why not build up a new FAL lower with an ACR stock?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Business partner is friends with Alex. He grabbed up two for far less than what they go for now. One had horrible accuracy (3-5moa with FGMM) and the other choked on LC M80 ball about 20% of the time. Both were fixed by RobArm...and then promptly sold. His QC just isn't there. I'm sure the ones that work are great. These weren't. Meanwhile my SCAR came with a better test target than my SR-25...and shoots better than any "battle rifle" should.
View Quote
Guessing that your business partner got ahold of a couple of the pre production models.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I have had the SCAR17 and Para Fal.  Between those two that I have actual XP with, the SCAR wins hands down.  

I sold both and currently only have an AR10 for a 308.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#38]
What are your thoughts between the AR10 and SCAR 17? Is yours more of a precision, or BR AR10?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Galil ACE in 7.62 x 51
View Quote
ACE? Original is mo' betta.

I really want to like the ACE, but until they decide to stop neutering the 7.62 NATO round with a 16" barrel, I'm can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why not build up a new FAL lower with an ACR stock?http://i60.tinypic.com/nfiq6v.jpg
View Quote
Oh my.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Just get a SCAR.  Absolutely worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a good choice. Otherwise, I would get the XCR-M if I was in the market as it has everything I want out of the box.

I have two FALs but the aftermarket support for them isn't great in terms of triggers and muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I love FALs, but compared to a SCAR17, its a nice old gun like an M1A...

BTW, you can get an M1A with a folding stock.  But again its no SCAR.  However, I do find the accuracy on a SCAR nothing to write home about.  I may need to shoot them back to back, but I think my regular M1A loaded is as accurate or more accurate than the SCAR.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

ACE? Original is mo' betta.
http://prebanarmory.com/wp-content/uploads/marketimages/galil2.jpg

I really want to like the ACE, but until they decide to stop neutering the 7.62 NATO round with a 16" barrel, I'm can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on it.
View Quote
How long of a barrel do you want?  16” is fine to get the job done and remain handy/practical.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, SOCOM is killing people at 500 yards with ~13" SCAR 17 barrels (although they do have cartridges slightly better optimized for that).
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#46]
And if you want a longer barrel FN has a 20” SCAR17 barrel available. The only down side to the SCAR is it’s 1:12 twist in all barrel length options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top