Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2017 2:42:40 AM EDT
I'd like to hear your thoughts on "modern" QD mounts: Specifically those with lockable throw levers and adjustable tension nuts on the reverse side (which are impossible to back out because of how they are recessed).

I have come across three designs which have the aforementioned features and which are remarkably similar:

1. American Defense (for example, the ADM Recon). These have been around for a while and seem to have a good track record for returning to zero. Common criticism seems to be that the throw levers can be difficult or stiff to open (you have to press a button opposite of the direction of motion). Also, since the throw levers only have 8 sides, tension can go from "loose" to "too tight" with a single increment of adjustment. ADM has a "tactical lever upgrade" featured on its website which it claims has "A quicker release, smoother movement and a sturdier design." I can't find any online reviews on how the upgrade addresses the aforementioned issues. One common theme with all reviews was that ADM is respected for having excellent customer service.

2. Midwest Industries (like MI-QD30SM). These have been around for a couple years. The locking mechanism on the throw lever is different. First you press a button to push down the locking tab, then the lever can swing freely. Reviewers consider it smoother and easier to open than ADM. The tension nut also has more sides (12?) allowing greater fine-tuning for tension. Online testing shows return-to-zero is on par with ADM. In fact, from what I've read, the ADM mount used to be produced under MI but later went independent. Since ADM retains a patent on its throw lever design, MI went with another QD lever which is patented by Elite Defense.

3. Atibal TPM. I can't find much information on this mount. The interesting thing with this design is that the throw levers are unlocked by pressing a button on the top of the lever rather than the side. The Atibal TPM is also quite a bit cheaper than the ADM and MI mounts. I can't find any reviews on whether this mount holds up over time and has good return-to-zero performance.

ADM is the original and has a solid reputation. MI is very similar but seems to have made some improvements to the locking levers and tension nut design. Atibal TPM is lesser-known and hasn't really caught on.

Lastly, I know some people will mention Bobro and Larue. These use different QD designs so don't really fit in with the models mentioned above. I'm comparing ADM, MI, and Atibal specifically because they are so similar and I'm trying to understand which of the three is "best." If anyone owns or used to own any of these, I'd love to hear your opinions!

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not LaRue?

I like the LaRue most of all I have no issues returning to zero moving it from 1 rifle to another and back.  I had an ADM and sold it because the "return to zero" would be off sometimes 2-4" vs my LaRue which would be never more than .5" at most and if I do my part on mounting it properly they return to zero.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess my question isn't whether Larue is good or not (I know many people like them). Rather, my question is that of the three very-similar-designs (ADM vs. MI vs. Atibal), which do people like most?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Midwest Industries looks like a solid mount.  The ADM mounts have a good customer base though I've read some complaints over the years.  Atibal?  Sounds like Chinese junk to me.  Does anyone know where the Atibal mount is made?

I've got zero hands on experience with any of the three though.  

The Larue mounts are solid, though some people don't like them..  Samson has a QD mount too that can be had for around $140ish.  I've been considering giving it a try next.  

I've mostly stock to fixed mounts myself.  The Seekins, Vortex and Aero mounts have served me well.  No issues with any of the Larue mount I've had either.

I also prefer Torx fasteners.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used ADM mounts for quite some time and they have worked well and have held up without issues.

I love LaRue and I'd use LaRue without hesitation...

Really well made stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess my question isn't whether Larue is good or not (I know many people like them). Rather, my question is that of the three very-similar-designs (ADM vs. MI vs. Atibal), which do people like most?
View Quote
I cannot really speak to the MI it is a rather new kid on the block all the MI stuff I own has been top quality.  The ADM I did not have luck with because I remove my optics each time I am done with the rifle because my safe is so short on space and I cannot have optics on every long gun I could never get them to get close enough back to zero I would have to big of shifts so I sold it to a friend who never removes his optics once they are on a rifle.  The last one never heard of it till this thread.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this a purely academic question, or do you plan on purchasing a qd mount? If the latter, why not get something well-established? I doubt the Atiball is in the same league as the others mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan on buying. I agree - it sounds like ADM or MI is the way to go... they are pro-grade whereas Atibal sounds experimental-grade.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I plan on buying. I agree - it sounds like ADM or MI is the way to go... they are pro-grade whereas Atibal sounds experimental-grade.
View Quote
For the price the LaRue is in the same range.  The LaRue has a better return to zero and the rings are by far better being zero gap vs the ADM (not sure on the MI) I could not get a zero gap on the rings.  All around the LaRue is a better QD mount in the price bracket.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]
You forgot the GG&G accucam.  It also uses a threaded cross lug and has a longer lever.  IME it's easier to tighten/remove than ADM mounts.  GDI also has some nice mounts, but they're pretty expensive.

My experience with ADM is that sometimes you have to get the levers extremely tight and they're hard to open. I had one upper that experienced the limited rotation problem of the eight sided bolt.  Loose on one setting, then super tight on the next.  I still use them on 1-4 type optics as they're cheaper than Larue and RTZ is good enough for those rifles.

I haven't used MI yet. I like the improvements they appear to have made over ADM.

Samson has an interesting design with a fast twist locking lever.  I haven't shot with mine yet.

Currently I own QD mounts from Larue (got ~15 of these), ADM, GDI, and Samson.  I got rid of my Bobro mounts after two in a row broke.

Another good option is a Geissele or NF Unimount with a torque limiter for re-attaching perfectly consistently.

When re-mounting any optic mount, you should always push forward on the mount and close the levers/tighten the bolts in the same order for maximum consistency.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You forgot the GG&G accucam.  It also uses a threaded cross lug and has a longer lever.  IME it's easier to tighten/remove than ADM mounts. 
View Quote
That looks pretty neat. It's funny how some mounts have caught on (ex: Bobro/LaRue/ADM) and others are barely known or talked about.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have ADM on my Aimpoint M3 and M2. I also have Larue and have used ADM on my Aimpoint micros. ADM is cheaper, but is bulky compared to Larue.

One thing I've noticed with the ADM is when new, once you set the tention and have it mounted for a while, when you take it off and remount the tention seems to have losen a bit. I have to turn the screw one more notch to get it to the same tention feel as it was before. Could be the metal setting in or the tention screw stretching ever so slighty. Now I've never had any issue with my Aimpoint M3 or M2 shifting while on the ADM mount. The M3 is on an AR the M2 is on a Tavor. I actually use the Aimpoint/ADM combo as a carry handle Sometimes. When pulling them out of the safe or at the range I usually grab them by the Aimpoint. On occasions I have purposely given them a few hard smacks with the palm of my hands just to see of they still hold zero, and they the do. I think I do this on almost every range trip and some times even during firing. Don't know why I do it, maybe just for my own entertainment, but never an issue.

When I helped my dad set up his Aimpoint Pro on an ADM mount we did it while at the range. After he had zeroed it. I smacked it hard a few time and swung the gun around while holding on to it by the Aimpoint. He freaked out. Once I shot it and was hitting steel plates 100 yrs he was impressed.

As for returning to zero I think this is overated and over advertised. No mount/optic will return to absolute zero. Once take it off an remount it will shift slightly. Will it be good enough for man size targets at 100-200 yrds? Absolutely, with out a doubt. Will it be at the same POI you had shot prior? No. If you take it off and remount it you will have to make minor adjustments.

For the micros I sold my ADM in favor of Larue. My favorite is the LT751.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top