Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 12:25:37 AM EDT
Other than 22LR.  

I got a 9mm upper for the Glock, MechTech and it has been nice and certainly fun to shoot and cheap.  9mm ammo is not expensive. It's not 22LR cheap, but it's not 308.

That got me thinking,since 7.62x39 costs the same as 9mm, does that make more sense in a dedicated carbine vs a MechTech upper that's nice but really kind of useless.  You cannot hunt with it when in use, you cannot use the G17.

Ideally an AK in 5.45. Are these things still cheap, and as cheap as 9mm/7.62x39 ammo-wise?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
How about 6.5 Grendel and Wolf ammo?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I mostly just stick with 9mm and 5.56mm and 12 gauge 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
came to post this
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:56:41 AM EDT
[#4]
545 ain't cheap anymore and it never will be (thanks Obama/Trump/shitty courts) again. 7.62x39 is cheap now, but once the feds get around to banning russian ammo it won't be cheap for long. If you want cheap, and you want some kind of assurance of cheapness in the future, 9x19mm is the answer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
came to post this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
came to post this
This, one of the main reasons I have the Grendel 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you want cheap, and you want some kind of assurance of cheapness in the future, 9x19mm is the answer.
View Quote
wrong

if you want assurance, the only way to have it then, is buy it now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

wrong

if you want assurance, the only way to have it then, is buy it now.
View Quote
technically true, but useless on a practical level. Most people simply can't afford to buy a lifetime supply of ammo as soon as they are legally allowed to do so by law. I presume your ammo fort has a few million rounds in it and you haven't bought any since you were 18. Good strategy if you have the space/$, i guess.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good point.   I've realized that I can get 6.5G, 5.56mm, 9mm, 7.62x39 and 5.45 all for around a quarter per shot.

The question is then what's the most economical way to get there. As in an upper or what.  MechTech is about 500 so costs about the same as an upper and the ammo also.
I didn't realize 223 could be bought so cheap.

Apparently you can get an entire AR for 500, that plus cheap 223 is as good as it gets.  Like bushmaster xm15 es2
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
5.45 is climbing in price to 25-28 cents per round.

The rifles are getting rare, most of the good ones are not being imported at the moment or are banned, and there are slim pickings on domestic kit building. All AK prices have gone way way up in general and 5.45s are also climbing
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good point.   I've realized that I can get 6.5G, 5.56mm, 9mm, 7.62x39 and 5.45 all for around a quarter per shot.

The question is then what's the most economical way to get there. As in an upper or what.  MechTech is about 500 so costs about the same as an upper and the ammo also.
I didn't realize 223 could be bought so cheap.

Apparently you can get an entire AR for 500, that plus cheap 223 is as good as it gets.  Like bushmaster xm15 es2
View Quote
This upper, some mags, and a case of ammo, and you're shooting(using one of your existing lowers.)

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf-65-grendel-upper-receiver-p-59034.aspx

http://www.sgammo.com/product/65-grendel-ammo/1000-rounds-65-grendel-100-grain-fmj-lacquered-steel-case-wpa-wolf-ammo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top