Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2017 8:14:44 PM EDT
Is this really one rifle that can do all?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
People say the Ruger Scout is pretty good. I went with a lighter concept with the CZ 527M in 7.62x39mm as a base. As an all around brush rifle for the animals commonly found down here in the desert it should be adequate. I just don't have the scope the good Colonel advocated. :)

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People say the Ruger Scout is pretty good. I went with a lighter concept with the CZ 527M in 7.62x39mm as a base. As an all around brush rifle for the animals commonly found down here in the desert it should be adequate. I just don't have the scope the good Colonel advocated. :)

http://i.imgur.com/AFyyLt7.jpg
View Quote
Wow, that's an interesting set-up.    What stock is that? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#4]
when you say "do all" one other thing comes to mind. Firepower! as in rapid re-engaugment capabilities and capacity. in this role I feel one of the newer small framed .308 AR's would be the ideal piece of kit. a 12.5-16" .308 with 20-25 rounds on tap and a low power variable optic. add to that a suppressor and I don't see it getting any better than that. you have the power to down game, the volume of fire to ward off the hordes, and with a proper setup sub moa extended distance shots should be very achievable.

Do I feel a handy bolt rifle in a similar configuration could handle a majority what we may encounter? absolutely. but I wouldn't call it a do all rifle. as having the ability to fight back god forbid you get into a firefight is one thing I still prep for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do I  feel a handy bolt rifle in a similar configuration could handle a majority what we may encounter? absolutely. but I wouldn't call it a do all rifle. as having the ability to fight back god forbid you get into a firefight is one thing I still prep for.
View Quote
Jeff Cooper would strenuously disagree, since that was never the intention of a "Scout Rifle" on the theory of it he expounded.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Jeff Cooper would strenuously disagree, since that was never the intention of a "Scout Rifle" on the theory of it he expounded.
View Quote
I guess that answers the question as to whether it's a do all rifle or not.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like your receiver is grooved for direct scope ring attachment. Your path of least resistance, considering your barrel may not be factory drilled and tapped for scope bases, is to mount a scope over the receiver. That being said, I really like my 2.5x Leupold scout scope...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19411/Huntsman_Scope_JPG-294074.jpg
View Quote
Interesting set-up, ... but man-oh-man is that scope sitting high up in those rings or what?  Unless maybe you've got a neck like a baby giraffe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes the receiver is grooved for the CZ rings, and I've had a couple of scopes on it, but I always go back to the irons with this one for some reason. It has a custom Marbles adjustable rear sight on it, too.
The stock and magazine are both one of a kind by LAGS Custom Gunsmithing in Mesa AZ, (not a registered company, just my buddy who does fantastic work here and there on the side), and if you look carefully near the butt, you will see where the spare 5 round magazine sits. I casually mentioned once that I thought that would be a cool concept to carry a spare mag in a nice wooden stock with a pistol grip, for this carbine, but he probably couldn't do that. I learned that thou shalt NOT tell LAGS that he can't do something...the ten round magazine was almost an after thought.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The stock and magazine are both one of a kind by LAGS Custom Gunsmithing in Mesa AZ, (not a registered company, just my buddy who does fantastic work here and there on the side), and if you look carefully near the butt, you will see where the spare 5 round magazine sits. I casually mentioned once that I thought that would be a cool concept to carry a spare mag in a nice wooden stock with a pistol grip, for this carbine, but he probably couldn't do that. I learned that thou shalt NOT tell LAGS that he can't do something...the ten round magazine was almost an after thought.
View Quote
Awesome work on that stock!

Now all it needs for final "Cooperization" is to attach a forward-mount on the barrel (probably just a tad forward of that rear factory sight) for the low power LER Scout scope.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Bedded and pillared, too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I would like to find one of the old Special Interest Arms 7.62x39 converted Enfield K again. I had one long ago, but sold it.
It was a good shooting bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Was that the one that got body slammed for having Vietnamese made parts? I was interested back in the day, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw the thread in GD on the new 7.62X39 Ruger bolt action that took mini 30 mags.

I had a Charles Daly mini Mauser for awhile, really liked that rifle. My biggest and only complaint was if I loaded the Mag with 5rds it wouldn't feed. 4 was iffy, 3 was no problem.  
I sold it awhile back but the Ruger caught my eye.  Just needs sights and a red dot. And I'd be stoked.

Really only needs a front sight and put a peep on the receiver.

I'd be OK with that being my only rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/AFyyLt7.jpg
View Quote
What's the capacity on that mag? Where's it from?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#16]
he mentioned it was a 10 round magazine a few posts up. I believe his buddy in AZ modified it from a stock mag(s)
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]
According to the article I read from the NRA I think it was, it takes Mini 30 mags, and they go up to 20 rounds.

ETA:  Oooops, I was getting the questions mixed up with the mentioned ruger bolt gun.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a gsr and I love it, I would say that for what most of the population use a rifle for it would be more than adequate. I also have a CZ 527 in .223 with a lpv scope on it and it is easily one of my favorite rifles to shoot and carry, just needs to be in a heavier caliber, I think a 6.8 would be perferct.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Steyr Scout. It is a light handy rifle. It is awesome at 9,000 feet when you're panting for breath in the Bighorns.

I also have a .338 Lapua with a huge scope. It is awesome when you can drive a 4-wheeler to your shooting position.

Neither would be my zombie horde/Red Dawn rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's the capacity on that mag? Where's it from?
View Quote
10 rounds, modified by my gunsmith buddy, works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#21]
"Do all" is really do a lot, just not always optimum.  Slow rate of fire, typically low capacity, lightweight, low-powered optic, typically conventional in design.  A scout avoids engagements, moves fast, but needs to also maneuver quietly.  You don't need .5 MOA, but you want to put lead on a moving target quickly and as accurately as possible; this is a great concept for a bush hunting rifle.  It's not the best choice to go against a semi-auto armed opponent, but "scout" should infer avoiding contact or ambushing first.  

I have a couple of "scout" rifles for hunting.  I love the concept and consider more of a bolt-action ranch rifle.  A semi-auto .308 is probably the better "do all" rifle currently available and in the majority of the CONUS, the even smaller 5.56mm AR is just as capable on medium sized game with less penetration and less effective range.  The conventional form of the scout rifle is nice in some circles, but there are far better "do all" tools available.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Do all" is really do a lot, just not always optimum.  * * *

* * * A semi-auto .308 is probably the better "do all" rifle currently available and in the majority of the CONUS, the even smaller 5.56mm AR is just as capable on medium sized game with less penetration and less effective range.  The conventional form of the scout rifle is nice in some circles, but there are far better "do all" tools available.
View Quote
Yeah, I tend to agree.

Years ago I got to handle a few of the early Savage-made .308 "Scouts" that showed up on our range. Wasn't that impressed from a Q.C. perspective for the sort of rough "Scout" work and field duties that Cooper seemed to think such a rifle was useful for. However, for the limited shots taken in hunting situations, they were fine.

I finally set up my own "Scout" rifle using the battle-proven action of the semi-auto M1 Garand as the platform, with Schuff's building it into a 16" Mini-G using a .308 Criterion barrel. We added an Ultimak forward rail and a low-mounted Burris 2.75x Scout scope. Then bedded it into a new stock and added a sling.

Zero-ed for an inch high @ 100-yds, this Mini-G/faux-Scout shoots great, once you get used to sighting with the EER low-power scope.  While quick to shoulder and handier to carry than a full-size M1, it is weightier than the 6-lbs or so limit that Cooper set for bolt-action Scouts ... There are always trade-offs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, I tend to agree.

Years ago I got to handle a few of the early Savage-made .308 "Scouts" that showed up on our range. Wasn't that impressed from a Q.C. perspective for the sort of rough "Scout" work and field duties that Cooper seemed to think such a rifle was useful for. However, for the limited shots taken in hunting situations, they were fine.

I finally set up my own "Scout" rifle using the battle-proven action of the semi-auto M1 Garand as the platform, with Schuff's building it into a 16" Mini-G using a .308 Criterion barrel. We added an Ultimak forward rail and a low-mounted Burris 2.75x Scout scope. Then bedded it into a new stock and added a sling.

Zero-ed for an inch high @ 100-yds, this Mini-G/faux-Scout shoots great, once you get used to sighting with the EER low-power scope.  While quick to shoulder and handier to carry than a full-size M1, it is weightier than the 6-lbs or so limit that Cooper set for bolt-action Scouts ... There are always trade-offs.
View Quote
@Nick_Adams Any pics of this masterpiece?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I tend to agree.

Yep, ... but Photofuckit sucks, doesn't it?

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep, ... but Photofuckit sucks, doesn't it?

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/MG1-1.jpg
View Quote
Just use Arfcom's upload tool.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just use Arfcom's upload tool.
View Quote
that or imgur.com
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Scout rifles that don't top load are stupid.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Imgur works great.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Since you specifically mentioned bolt actions, I'd say its a toss up between the Ruger and the Savage scout rifles.  Unless of course money is no object.

But, if one allows semi automatic firearms then I'd put the Springfield Scout Squad in first place.

Now my personal "scout" rifle is something entirely different.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which is the reason I went with the clip-fed action of the M1 in building my (semi-auto) faux "Scout."

That, and I've only got about 30+yrs experience with 7.62 and '06 Garands.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Which is the reason I went with the clip-fed action of the M1 in building my (semi-auto) faux "Scout."

View Quote
Doesn't browning make a blr takedown that allows for forward scope mounting?  That would be a really good scout rifle.  If they had a larger capacity mag it might be a perfect do it all rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Doesn't browning make a blr takedown that allows for forward scope mounting?  That would be a really good scout rifle.  If they had a larger capacity mag it might be a perfect do it all rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the BLRs side-load, or top-load?  Don't know, just askin'.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are the BLRs side-load, or top-load?  Don't know, just askin'.
View Quote
Detachable box magazine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#34]

I think this is what he meant to post. ;)
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#35]
XS Scout Mount.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I turned my older M1A Bush into a "Scout" and it's served that role well when hunting.  Even with the top loading feature of the M1A, I think top loading is less important if you have a DBM type rifle; a few extra mags are far quicker to "top off" than stripper clips or single rounds from the top.

The only two other "Scout" rifles are the Savage Scout (it now how much lower rings):

..and my latest, the Mossberg MVP Scout.  The MVP was a pretty decent surprise.  It's been plenty accurate for hunting, but it's no target rifle.  The size is extremely handy and it's well balanced.  The trigger can be tuned to respectably good, and I was shocked it fed reliably from both M1A and AR10 magazines I had on hand.  The stock itself is nothing to brag about and the bolt rides rough to where you need to be more forceful...it's no Enfield or Mauser bolt action, but it's functional.  Overall, I've pretty impressed with my MVP, one of the better deals I've found that actually turned out great.  I mated it to a Leupold IER scope that really is perfect for this setup, but I must also give praise to the ghost ring/peep sights which are very functional as well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/MG1-1.jpg~original

View Quote
I like it! sweet simple setup
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/MG1-1.jpg~original
View Quote
Yes, many thanks, Armoredman!

For some reason, AR15's upload tool ain't workin' for my lowly membership status, and I'm not doing much better trying to get registered on Imgur. Will keep at it though.

In the pic Armoredman posted, that's one of Dupage's tight-fitting stocks which we then bedded. The T-37 FH actually somewhat reduces muzzle blast in addition to flash, but the flash signature is also ammo-dependent. The Schuster Mfg adj gas plug does a great job of regulating and protecting the op rod and gas system.  

This Mini-G is set-up primarily as my hog & deer hunter, including 5-rd clips, but it would perform passably in the other "Scout" roles Cooper wrote about. Accuracy is pretty good out to 200-yds, and for me that's the limit of its hunting use on those critters anyway.

Again, this set-up, while handy, doesn't make the weight requirement of an official Cooper Scout. I've got another 16" Mini-G that I run irons-only and it's definitely lighter toward the front-end, but still a bit over Scout weight.

But the trade-off with both Mini-Gs is that the military origin of the M1's action gives you durability under harsh field conditions and, if you practice enough, and/or have enough range/Match time with an M1 (like me), you get pretty quick at loading 8-rd en bloc clips without fumbling  -  so you have some parity of speed in reloading when compared to a DBM Scout set-up, ... although admittedly the M1 action is capacity-restricted to 8-rds while the DBM isn't.

On the other hand, in non-permissive jurisdictions that ban DBM semi-autos, the M1/clip-fed action is (typically) still legal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Very nice, sir.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Do it all? No.

Good truck and and brush gun? Yes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
Okay. ... WTF is that?  A Mosin?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mauser I built

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#43]
those are cool! I seen one of those that was sbr'd and cerekoted with blood, and zombie excerpts that looked pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#44]
here it is!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mauser I built

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181809/B232B9AA-D378-41C0-B15F-5E1004D9CA31-337394.JPG
Very awesome! Great pic too!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#46]
When I first saw that Mauser pic, it reminded me of this YouTuber dude's suppressed Mosin SBR.

Not a Scout rifle at all, but a suppressed Mosin definitely has Zombie-slaying potential:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-dE_tknOgk
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some rifles suitable for this role have fixed receiver sights.  A long eye relief "scout" scope must be used with them, regardless of action/magazine type.

Many hunters QD mount the scope out on the barrel in "scout" configuration, sight it in, but keep it in their kit bag until needed.  The rugged fixed receiver sight and front post are the primary sights.

FWIW, Burris has a fine little long eye relief 2-7x scout scope that I have come to really like.   Mine is center dot illuminated.  I think the illuminated version may have been discontinued.  I use it primarily for low light, dusk and dawn situations.  It is QD mounted in steel Talley rings and bases for reliable return to zero.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top