Armory Sponsor
Posted: 1/10/2010 1:23:41 PM EDT
| I have always wanted a double barreled shotgun, and I kinda like the Stoeger coach guns..........anyone have one? How do you like it? |
| I have one in 12 ga. that I have used for SASS (Cowboy Action) matches for the past three years. I've never had any problems with it. Action opens and closes well, chambers slicked up easily with some flitz and elbow grease. It has taken some abuse between being banged around in my gun cart and traveling via airline from VA to AZ for a match. What do you want the gun for? |
|
Quoted:
I went Cimmeron Arms, they have a coach model, with double triggers and exposed hammers ![]() ![]() I have a Norinco 12ga, with double triggers and exp hammers...it's fun to shoot (gets one in an "old world" mood having to break it open to reload) but if I did it again, I wouldn't get the hammers....they seem to catch on things, especially if one is backpacking. I also wonder about how strong they are if they encountered a lateral stress...would they break? Would I get another, if I sold this one? Hell yes, it's like a Winchester 94....a classic firearm design. |
I had one in 12ga with two triggers. Anyone with half a brain and knack for mechanics can disable the auto safety with a long screwdriver and leatherman file...that's how I got the stock off and then filed off a nub of the safety. ![]() Generally, mine looked ok. It did not like both triggers being pulled at once with 2 3/4 00buck in the chambers. It locked up on me once and I had to disassemble the gun to make it work again because it would not unlock. Oh and it patterned like shit. So, unless you're going to mad max this thing or SBS it and have chokes installed, it's not worth it. |
|
Was this thread prompted by the article in the latest swat mag? Quoted:
I've had a Stoeger Coach for a couple of years, been very pleased with it. It is a lot of fun to shoot; a different kind of enjoyment from a pump or semi-auto. You can disable the auto-safety by trimming the safety engagement rod if you wish. It is a rather annoying feature, but easy to change. I disabled mine, and put in a Lee's Gunsmithing action spring while the gun was apart. I think both modifications make it a bit more user friendly. http://spinr.smugmug.com/Guns-Stuff/Miscellaneous-Firearms/IMG6762-copy/230432113_xKWx2-L.jpg That's a pretty gun with very nice wood. Is that the original finish on the metal? Is it chrome? Quoted:
I am looking at the Stoeger with a single trigger Even though the double triggers are more "classic", I'd probably get a single trigger version too. Only nice thing about the double trigger is being able to select which barrel fires first |
| I have had one for years and use it every year for quali hunting. Its a great gun. The ONLY problem I have with it is when I shoot heavy recoiling loads, the forearm wants to come off because the spring is too weak...i need to get that worked on. Anyone else have this issue? |
|
I just got one a few weeks ago two. Of course any proper SxS has two triggers so that it can be fired with BOTH BARRELS as God intended.
Keep in mind the left barrel is a tighter fixed choke than the right. Two 3" Magnum 00 Buck shells. You must try this. Two 3" Buckhammer slugs (1.5 ounces each) (yeah they're sabots but so what...)... This combo feels like a car accident or getting punched in the face but is still very fun. Awesome little gun. I tried it on Trap the other day and did surprisingly well... |
|
Quoted:
I just got one a few weeks ago two. Of course any proper SxS has two triggers so that it can be fired with BOTH BARRELS as God intended. Keep in mind the left barrel is a tighter fixed choke than the right. Two 3" Magnum 00 Buck shells. You must try this. Two 3" Buckhammer slugs (1.5 ounces each) (yeah they're sabots but so what...)... This combo feels like a car accident or getting punched in the face but is still very fun. Awesome little gun. I tried it on Trap the other day and did surprisingly well... Did your forearm come loose? When I shoot heavy loads, the forearm slips a bit and disengages the latch. |
|
Quoted:
I have one in 12 ga. with double triggers. I love it. Did a little slicking of the action like some of the other guys have mentioned. Spent shells fly out with a jerk backwards. Breaks open nice. Been real happy with it. Really? It shoots out the shells? What did you do to it, I would love to have mine do that? |
|
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got one a few weeks ago two. Of course any proper SxS has two triggers so that it can be fired with BOTH BARRELS as God intended. Keep in mind the left barrel is a tighter fixed choke than the right. Two 3" Magnum 00 Buck shells. You must try this. Two 3" Buckhammer slugs (1.5 ounces each) (yeah they're sabots but so what...)... This combo feels like a car accident or getting punched in the face but is still very fun. Awesome little gun. I tried it on Trap the other day and did surprisingly well... Did your forearm come loose? When I shoot heavy loads, the forearm slips a bit and disengages the latch. The forearm has never come off anyway. After a few hundred absurdly hot loads it's a tiny bit looser than when new. I haven't dug into it yet but it didn't seem too hard to fix if that gets worse. I was figuring out today that with the right loads I'm looking at a little under 6000 foot pounds with both barrels. lol... soooo much fun. You gotta see what two 1.5 ounce slugs do to a 5 gallon pail of water. Goddamn though do I have a flinch now! Makes the Mosin feel like my 10/22.... |
|
Just picked one up myself. Have only shot a few of the 100rnd bulk 12ga Federal #7.5 bird shot so far. Seems like it'll be a fun range gun once I have some more time to get to the range again. Kind of funny having to walk down to the piece of cardboard 30yards away to see if I even hit it...that 7.5 shot makes some really small holes. Now up close, say 10-15 feet, it blows a nice hole in the target. I will defenitly have to pick up some larger pellets for home defense. #4 on up should be good for the distance I would need to engage someone in my house. Heck even that #7.5 at 10 feet might mess someones day up. |
| I might just get one down the road.........I suddenly have a hankering for "cowboy" type guns.........I would like to get a lever gun, coach gun and some kind of pistol..........not really sure what I want, but a Stoeger coach gun, maybe a 1873 Winchester type rifle or Marlin and an 1875 Remington revolver would be nice additions to the collection........guns that I dont have but would like to have |
|
Quoted:
I might just get one down the road.........I suddenly have a hankering for "cowboy" type guns.........I would like to get a lever gun, coach gun and some kind of pistol..........not really sure what I want, but a Stoeger coach gun, maybe a 1873 Winchester type rifle or Marlin and an 1875 Remington revolver would be nice additions to the collection........guns that I dont have but would like to have +1 My ideal 3 would be the coach gun (have), a Winchester 94 (did have, will get again), and an 1858 "Army" black powder .44 (can get via ordering, no dealer!) Thinkin' like outlaw Jose Wales.....'ceptin' he was a bit early for the 94.... |
|
I used a Stoeger Coach Gun for six years in competition. It still fits and works like new. Very durable design and can be slicked up to your heart's content.
I kept it after getting a higher quality race gun. All the time in action shooting is in the shotgun and the Stoeger, though a very good gun, is not the best available for operating on the clock. But, you can be three or four Stoegers for the price of one, tuned go-fast machine. |
Armory Sponsor
Join the Community
Your next conversation starts here.
Create your free account to join discussions, share your experience, save topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.
- Join discussions
- Follow topics and replies
- Connect with fellow enthusiasts
Already a member? Sign in
Stay informed by subscribing to our Newsletter




