Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2010 1:23:41 PM EDT
I have always wanted a double barreled shotgun, and I kinda like the Stoeger coach guns..........anyone have one? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless converting it into a pistol I do not see the point.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish they had double triggers, and I'm not so keen on their tactical model (and if they're the model with the auto-safety I don't like that idea), but it seems like an easy way to get a coachgun for not that much coin.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one in 20 gauge and love it, I use it as my primary road hunting gun for pheasant. The fit has gotten a touch sloppy on the forearm but it has seen some very heavy use

Not the best pic
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a Stoeger Coach for a couple of years, been very pleased with it.  It is a lot of fun to shoot; a different kind of enjoyment from a pump or semi-auto.  You can disable the auto-safety by trimming the safety engagement rod if you wish.  It is a rather annoying feature, but easy to change.  I disabled mine, and put in a Lee's Gunsmithing action spring while the gun was apart. I think both modifications make it a bit more user friendly.

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one in 12 ga. that I have used for SASS (Cowboy Action) matches for the past three years.  I've never had any problems with it.  Action opens and closes well, chambers slicked up easily with some flitz and elbow grease. It has taken some abuse between being banged around in my gun cart and traveling via airline from VA to AZ for a match.  What do you want the gun for?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one in 20 one in 12.I haven't had any problems with either.The 20 has become my wifes bedroom gun.Its simple to operate,you don't have to be super accurate and the 20 is managable for her.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I went Cimmeron Arms, they have a coach model, with double triggers and exposed hammers
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went Cimmeron Arms, they have a coach model, with double triggers and exposed hammers

I have a Norinco 12ga, with double triggers and exp hammers...it's fun to shoot (gets one in an "old world" mood having to break it open to reload) but if I did it again, I wouldn't get the hammers....they seem to catch on things, especially if one is backpacking.

I also wonder about how strong they are if they encountered a lateral stress...would they break?

Would I get another, if I sold this one? Hell yes, it's like a Winchester 94....a classic firearm design.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have always wanted a double barreled shotgun, and I kinda like the Stoeger coach guns..........anyone have one? How do you like it?

I bought a 'Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme' for my Mother and she loves it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.............I am looking at the Stoeger with a single trigger............I just like them..........My grandfather has one, and I have always liked it after shooting it............
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one in 12ga with two triggers.  Anyone with half a brain and knack for mechanics can disable the auto safety with a long screwdriver and leatherman file...that's how I got the stock off and then filed off a nub of the safety.

Generally, mine looked ok.  It did not like both triggers being pulled at once with 2 3/4 00buck in the chambers.  It locked up on me once and I had to disassemble the gun to make it work again because it would not unlock. Oh and it patterned like shit.

So, unless you're going to mad max this thing or SBS it and have chokes installed, it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Was this thread prompted by the article in the latest swat mag?
Quoted:
I've had a Stoeger Coach for a couple of years, been very pleased with it.  It is a lot of fun to shoot; a different kind of enjoyment from a pump or semi-auto.  You can disable the auto-safety by trimming the safety engagement rod if you wish.  It is a rather annoying feature, but easy to change.  I disabled mine, and put in a Lee's Gunsmithing action spring while the gun was apart. I think both modifications make it a bit more user friendly.

http://spinr.smugmug.com/Guns-Stuff/Miscellaneous-Firearms/IMG6762-copy/230432113_xKWx2-L.jpg

That's a pretty gun with very nice wood. Is that the original finish on the metal? Is it chrome?

Quoted:
I am looking at the Stoeger with a single trigger

Even though the double triggers are more "classic", I'd probably get a single trigger version too. Only nice thing about the double trigger is being able to select which barrel fires first
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:That's a pretty gun with very nice wood. Is that the original finish on the metal? Is it chrome?

Thanks.  It's matte nickel, from the factory.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I went expsosed hammers and double triggers, as they just look cooler!  How can it be a coach gun without those?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had one for years and use it every year for quali hunting.  Its a great gun.  The ONLY problem I have with it is when I shoot heavy recoiling loads, the forearm wants to come off because the spring is too weak...i need to get that worked on.  Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:That's a pretty gun with very nice wood. Is that the original finish on the metal? Is it chrome?

Thanks.  It's matte nickel, from the factory.

What is teh Lee action spring?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What is teh Lee action spring?

It's a lighter version of the factory spring that puts pressure on the lockwork of the gun.  Makes it so it requires less effort work the action lever.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Century one with exposed hammers and dual triggers and it's served me well over the last few years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#19]
what would be a better choice between the stoeger and the stevens 311? im planning on sbs'n it...
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I love it already.

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got one a few weeks ago two. Of course any proper SxS has two triggers so that it can be fired with BOTH BARRELS as God intended.

Keep in mind the left barrel is a tighter fixed choke than the right.

Two 3" Magnum 00 Buck shells. You must try this.

Two 3" Buckhammer slugs (1.5 ounces each) (yeah they're sabots but so what...)... This combo feels like a car accident or getting punched in the face but is still very fun.

Awesome little gun. I tried it on Trap the other day and did surprisingly well...

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just got one a few weeks ago two. Of course any proper SxS has two triggers so that it can be fired with BOTH BARRELS as God intended.

Two 3" Buckhammer slugs (1.5 ounces each) (yeah they're sabots but so what...)... This combo feels like a car accident or getting punched in the face but is still very fun.

Awesome little gun. I tried it on Trap the other day and did surprisingly well...

Did your forearm come loose?  When I  shoot heavy loads, the forearm slips a bit and disengages the latch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Weird this thread has a page 2 with no posts?  Guess I'll ask then, how do you fire both barrels on a double barrel at the same time? Arent the 2 triggers offset one behind the other?   I've never fired one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Weird this thread has a page 2 with no posts?  Guess I'll ask then, how do you fire both barrels on a double barrel at the same time? Arent the 2 triggers offset one behind the other?   I've never fired one.

With two fingers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one in 12 ga. with double triggers. I love it.

Did a little slicking of the action like some of the other guys have mentioned. Spent shells fly out with a jerk backwards. Breaks open nice. Been real happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have one in 12 ga. with double triggers. I love it.

Did a little slicking of the action like some of the other guys have mentioned. Spent shells fly out with a jerk backwards. Breaks open nice. Been real happy with it.

Really?  It shoots out the shells?  What did you do to it, I would love to have mine do that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did your forearm come loose?  When I  shoot heavy loads, the forearm slips a bit and disengages the latch.

The forearm has never come off anyway. After a few hundred absurdly hot loads it's a tiny bit looser than when new. I haven't dug into it yet but it didn't seem too hard to fix if that gets worse.

I was figuring out today that with the right loads I'm looking at a little under 6000 foot pounds with both barrels. lol... soooo much fun. You gotta see what two 1.5 ounce slugs do to a 5 gallon pail of water.

Goddamn though do I have a flinch now!

Makes the Mosin feel like my 10/22....
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Just picked one up myself. Have only shot a few of the 100rnd bulk 12ga Federal #7.5 bird shot so far. Seems like it'll be a fun range gun once I have some more time to get to the range again. Kind of funny having to walk down to the piece of cardboard 30yards away to see if I even hit it...that 7.5 shot makes some really small holes. Now up close, say 10-15 feet, it blows a nice hole in the target. I will defenitly have to pick up some larger pellets for home defense. #4 on up should be good for the distance I would need to engage someone in my house. Heck even that #7.5 at 10 feet might mess someones day up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I might just get one down the road.........I suddenly have a hankering for "cowboy" type guns.........I would like to get a lever gun, coach gun and some kind of pistol..........not really sure what I want, but a Stoeger coach gun, maybe a 1873 Winchester type rifle or Marlin and an 1875 Remington revolver would be nice additions to the collection........guns that I dont have but would like to have
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I might just get one down the road.........I suddenly have a hankering for "cowboy" type guns.........I would like to get a lever gun, coach gun and some kind of pistol..........not really sure what I want, but a Stoeger coach gun, maybe a 1873 Winchester type rifle or Marlin and an 1875 Remington revolver would be nice additions to the collection........guns that I dont have but would like to have

+1

My ideal 3 would be the coach gun (have), a Winchester 94 (did have, will get again), and an 1858 "Army" black powder .44 (can get via ordering, no dealer!)

Thinkin' like outlaw Jose Wales.....'ceptin' he was  a bit early for the 94....
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I used a Stoeger Coach Gun for six years in competition.  It still fits and works like new.  Very durable design and can be slicked up to your heart's content.

I kept it after getting a higher quality race gun.  All the time in action shooting is in the shotgun and the Stoeger, though a very good gun, is not the best available for operating on the clock.

But, you can be three or four Stoegers for the price of one, tuned go-fast machine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a 70's model Ithaca double bbl 20ga with single trigger, no hammers.........

Killed all my "firsts" with it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top